Tapes that kill

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORD
    replied
    I don't know who actually wrote the songs on the Bark of the Moon album, but I do know that Ozzy claimed in a Circus Magazine interview published in March 1982 that his next two albums had already been written and would be titled "Bark at the Moon" and "Killer of Giants". He also claimed that he "couldn't wait" to get back into the studio and put these songs on record, since the band he was then touring with (Rhoads/Sarzo/Aldridge/Airey) hadn't actually recorded together yet.

Of course that didn't happen, because the plane crash that killed Randy happened the same week that magazine went on sale - so presumably the interview had taken place a month or two before, being that this was in the pre-internet era and it took a while to put a magazine together. Taking Ozzy at his word though, wouldn't that mean that Randy Rhoads was involved in writing those records?

It would be just like Sharon to steal royalties from a dead man though.

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Originally posted by So this is love
    I liked Jake E. Lee, never understood what the conflict was with Sharon for him to leave... as for Ozzy, he sounds the same on this song as he would now lol.
    From what Jake E. Lee said, he didn't get what he was verbally promised on the Bark At The Moon album re: songwriting credits and royalties.

Lee's story is that he recorded all his parts for Bark At The Moon and THEN was presented with a contract which was basically an NDA that stated Ozzy wrote all the songs, therefore Lee has no claims to publishing and Lee was forbidden to speak about any of it publicly. Lee was free to walk away, but then the Osbournes would just hire another guitarist to re-record Lee's parts and Lee could then sue the Osbournes for his compensation.

Lee admitted that when he was doing the BATM album he had no personal management/representation nor a lawyer, so he was ripe for a screwing.

He said he learned from the incident and refused to write or record anything for The Ultimate Sin prior to having a signed contract promising him writing credits and royalties.

Leave a comment:

• FORD
    replied
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Not a fan of the F A T boy stoner?

Stapleton is pretty good, compared to most of the so-called "country" acts churned out by the Nashville corporate establishment in recent years. I like what I've heard of his music so far. He does a lot of songs about being drunk & stoned though, so if he actually "lives" those lyrics, he might not live long enough to be a "household name"

Is he a "legend" on the level of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard or Hank Williams (Sr, not his idiot fucking racist son, for fucks sake). Nah, it would be way too early to say that. But he's damn sure better than any of the Toby Keith/George Strait/Billy Ray Mullet/Florida Georgia Line bullshit of the last few decades.

Leave a comment:

• Seshmeister
    replied
    Originally posted by So this is love
    I liked Jake E. Lee, never understood what the conflict was with Sharon for him to leave...
    It will be, as it always is with that woman, that she was stealing money from him.

As far as I can make out judging by Rudy Sarzo and Bob Daisley she basically gave them their per diem, i.e. touring pocket money and little else.

Leave a comment:

• Seshmeister
    replied
    Originally posted by Rikk
    Can't say I am.

When it comes to country, I do truly love Johnny Cash. Early Merle Haggard. I even like Patsy Cline.
    I hate all country apart from Johnny Cash.

The only thing I would give them is that many seem to still live the rockstar lifestyle a lot more than people in rock these days.

Leave a comment:

• Seshmeister
    replied
    OK...I need to watch this.

What's sad, though, is with SPEAK OF THE DEVIL and US FESTIVAL and all that, they JUST missed the boat on filming one entire gig professionally with Randy in the band. A real loss.
    It's not the full set it's missing a couple more Sabbath songs and Suicide Solution,Revelation (Mother Earth) and Steal Away (The Night).

Why do people think anyone wants to see drum solos rather than songs?

Leave a comment:

• Rikk
    replied
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Can't say I am.

When it comes to country, I do truly love Johnny Cash. Early Merle Haggard. I even like Patsy Cline.

But the shit today, just does nothing for me. Just a bunch of idiots preaching about how great it is to not be educated and shoot their guns at gay people...all to music that sounds like bad rock/pop from the late 80s/90s.

I think my peak level of music industry disgust was when Steven Tyler made a country album or something. I can't believe this is the same guy who recorded TOYS IN THE ATTIC and ROCKS.

There's a well-known story that Aerosmith's management looked at the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane before Skynyrd did...but turned it down. Considering what happened to Aerosmith after the 70s, it's almost too bad they didn't take Lynyrd Skynyrd's bullet for them. (That said, do I think Lynyrd Skynyrd would be making albums as great as SECOND HELPING or STREET SURVIVORS by 1985? Hell, no.)

Leave a comment:

• Rikk
    replied
    Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Jake E Lee's first gig.

To expect someone to go directly from playing in bars to this is nuts, spoiler alert he nails it. Ozzy a little less so...

I'm surprised Judas Priest were above Ozzy on the bill.

OK...I need to watch this.

What's sad, though, is with SPEAK OF THE DEVIL and US FESTIVAL and all that, they JUST missed the boat on filming one entire gig professionally with Randy in the band. A real loss.

Leave a comment:

• So this is love
    replied
    Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Jake E Lee's first gig.

To expect someone to go directly from playing in bars to this is nuts, spoiler alert he nails it. Ozzy a little less so...

I liked Jake E. Lee, never understood what the conflict was with Sharon for him to leave... as for Ozzy, he sounds the same on this song as he would now lol.

Leave a comment:

• Seshmeister
    replied
    SUNDAY, MAY 29 (HEAVY METAL DAY)
    OZZY OSBOURNE - Post-Rhoads, but I would've enjoyed it. I think touring BARK AT THE MOON by this point.
    Jake E Lee's first gig.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied

I didn't bother going through COUNTRY DAY. Johnny Cash wasn't playing and he is the only one from then I might have enjoyed. I like classic Nashville country from the 50s and 60s...but not a fan of modern country at all.

Leave a comment:

• Von Halen
    replied
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    FFS the whole trans thing has been around since at least the 1960's. Fucking Klinger on M*A*S*H dressed in drag in the 70's. Why do a-holes wanna act like this is some new threat to their manhood?
    We know this. We just don’t want you Libtards pushing their agenda on us. They bring enough attention to themselves, they don’t need you dopes shining a spotlight on them too. Next thing you fuckheads will be seeking reparations for them.

Leave a comment:

• Nickdfresh
    replied
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Well with this trans thing being the latest fad, females with manly voices is currently in style.
    FFS the whole trans thing has been around since at least the 1960's. Fucking Klinger on M*A*S*H dressed in drag in the 70's. Why do a-holes wanna act like this is some new threat to their manhood?

Leave a comment:

• Rikk
    replied
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    I just looked at the 83 US Festival roster. Some great acts were booked. All days would be good but we were VH fanatics so Sunday was the day.
    OK...you just made me look. Sunday was definitely the best day. But there are other bands throughout the weekend I might have enjoyed sitting through (make fun of me all you want for some of these thumb's ups...in fact, I encourage it):
    SATURDAY, MAY 28 (NEW WAVE DAY)
    INXS - That would have been fun. Hey, they were a good band.
    MEN AT WORK - OK, I had the first two (U.S.) albums back when I was a little kid.
    THE CLASH - That would have been cool. Dave sure didn't agree. Incidentally, this was Mick Jones' last-ever gig with the band (and many people say the last REAL Clash gig ever.)

SUNDAY, MAY 29 (HEAVY METAL DAY)
    MOTLEY CRUE - Back then, touring SHOUT AT THE DEVIL...would've been fun. I've heard it was actually a pretty bad gig for them. It is on YouTube but I've not watched it.
    OZZY OSBOURNE - Post-Rhoads, but I would've enjoyed it. I think touring BARK AT THE MOON by this point.
    JUDAS PRIEST - Hell yes...they were amazing.
    VAN HALEN - Duh. (By the way, I skipped Scorpions, Triumph and a few others...just never fans of those.)

MONDAY, MAY 30 (ROCK DAY)
    LOS LOBOS - Actually, a very good bank.
    U2 - Touring WAR, a great album for them.
    JOE WALSH - Not a huge fan of his solo...but I love his 1978 LP ...BUT SERIOUSLY.
    DAVID BOWIE - The number one act I would have loved seeing outside VH...and yes, I skipped Stevie Nicks. I hate her. I like Fleetwood Mac, but I think Nicks is a piece of crap as a human being and I don't care about her solo music.

I didn't bother going through COUNTRY DAY. Johnny Cash wasn't playing and he is the only one from then I might have enjoyed. I like classic Nashville country from the 50s and 60s...but not a fan of modern country at all.

Yes, NITRO...you went the right day.

Leave a comment:

• twonabomber
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...