Why are there so many Dave haters and Van Halen haters?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zing!
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

Easier for people (and critics) to nervously fawn over acts like Kelly Clarkson or LMFAO - which are about as musically legitimate as the latest Kidz Bop cd - than to think for themselves and go against the grain praising a band like Van Halen that has done the unthinkable and risen from the ashes with the best rock album in a generation.

Damn, that was one long run-on sentence.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Inexplicable reviews are the ones that drive me nuts.

Rock music is the most diverse subjective thing going, I may shake my head a bit at other peoples choices but there are some things that just fucking bug me. Like this on UK Amazon.

HAVING BEEN A VAN HALEN FAN SINCE THE FIRST ALBUM CAME OUT THEY WILL ALWAYS HOLD A PLACE IN MY MUSICAL HEART.BUT THIS TIME FOR ME, THE SONGS THE PERFORMANCES THE PRODUCTION JUST DIDN'T WORK TOGETHER TO PRODUCE THE VAN HALEN CLASSIC THAT WAS NEEDED.PERHAPS I HAD A PRE-CONCEPTION IN MY MIND THAT I WAS GOING TO BE BLOWN AWAY,SORRY I WASN'T.YOU MAY ALL LOVE IT, IT JUST DIDN'T WORK FOR ME.
      Fucking ridiculous.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm with you on Honeybabysweetiedoll and would go further by saying it's trying too hard to be an ex-Rage Against the Machine demo let alone VH - they must've got the wrong box outta storage :-) And the trouble with The Trouble with Never is it's verse is way too friendly with Hendrix's Cross Town Traffic and just Hendrix in general. I skip both those tracks now. This is getting a bit out there now but I'm starting to have trouble with the breakdown in Beats Workin' as well now - Wolf's bass riff just reminds me too much of The Beatles Day Tripper seguing into the outro solo from you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet when Eddie joins in.
        I now understand these artists that say they had to stop reading reviews because of the dumb ones. At least pre internet there was a certain dumb fuck bar the journalists had to jump.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
          Sniper
          • Apr 2004

I read reviews like that and think "what the fuck is this person thinking?" It is not 1984. People change. An album can be good without being a carbon copy of Van Halen I. Dave sings a little different. Ed plays a little different. People evolve. But good music is good music.

I also wonder what some of these people were expecting. This is a completely kicks ass album. You can't ask for much more that what we got.

But I think Hardrock hit the nail on the head. There are too many stupid people in this world.

In a world where horrible music, horrible movies, and horrible TV shows are incredibly popular, why should we be surprised if so many people can't recognize gold when they see it.

The only thing that really pisses me off is people not giving Dave and Van Halen the respect they deserve. Roth era Van Halen - the only music that can come close is Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin. People don't go on the internet and talk shit about Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin. And they shouldn't go on the internet and talk shit about Dave and Van Halen. But I guess we are just oversupplied with dumb fucks on this planet.
          "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• 3xwives
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Feb 2012

Any press is good press. Right? It's the folks who can't do things well who always claw away at those who can. And hey, some of the lyrics on this new record are truly above most listeners heads. How can average folks even come close to getting what our favorite genius is saying? How many people recognize more than just "chill out" or "be cool, stay cool" in "Stay Fosty"? It can be heard as a song about detachment. Very few people are getting that yet. Some are.. but who cares? Dude writes on lots of levels. The stuff so rocks that there's something for everyone. And when everyone is concerned there's gonna be opinions and haters. As far as musicans go...real musicians who have worked hard in a studio to get good vocals?..there's no recording artist in the world who at least privately doesn't respect DLR. In my heart of hearts I'm actually very proud of him. Sounds lame to say it, but I am.
            Last edited by 3xwives; 02-09-2012, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
              I read reviews like that and think "what the fuck is this person thinking?" It is not 1984. People change. An album can be good without being a carbon copy of Van Halen I. Dave sings a little different. Ed plays a little different. People evolve. But good music is good music.
              I don't think its about the band one little bit in those cases.

It's about the listener...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Anyhoo I looked at the UK Amazon reviews this morning and it had 2 five star reviews, 2 one star reviews and a couple in between.

It's now got 21 five star reviews 2 one star reviews and a couple in between.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                  Sniper
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  I don't think its about the band one little bit in those cases.

It's about the listener...
                  Good point. I was reading a book today by a famous author and he said that book reviews say more about the person writing the review than the book. Definitely true.
                  "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• Luke D
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Jan 2012

Trolls. Dirty, useless trolls.

Comment

• Hummarstra
                      Commando
                      • Feb 2004

I think a lot of the haters are coming from a Old Dave vs. the New Dave mentality. Just about everybody loves classic VH but may not like the new stuff. Oh well.

Comment

• K-tuna
                        Groupie
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        Who gives a fuck about the internet ??

you do because youre posting on it ?
                        "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Why are there so many people who watch AMERICAN IDOL?

Why are the needs of homophobic Christian-right morons still wasting debate time for an America that is in severe need of fixing?

Why did so many people pay money to see TRANSFORMERS 3?

There are a plethora of stupid people with stupid opinions in this world. We can't do anything about it. We can just be ourselves.

Dimebag's final words to his brother before the show started and he was killed: "Van fuckin' Halen."
                          Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

Am kinda torn by reviews half of me doesn't give a shit what others think I know this is gold dust so Fuck em .. But half wants them to get good reviews have all the hits, totally blow the past away sales wise.
                            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Unchainme
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Rikk
                              Why are there so many people who watch AMERICAN IDOL?

Why are the needs of homophobic Christian-right morons still wasting debate time for an America that is in severe need of fixing?

Why did so many people pay money to see TRANSFORMERS 3?

There are a plethora of stupid people with stupid opinions in this world. We can't do anything about it. We can just be ourselves.
                              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Panamark
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

You guys familiar with "The Tall Poppy" Syndrome ?
                                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...