Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

A bit less shit than some of the others maybe...

Comment

• Silexxx
      Head Fluffer
      • Sep 2010

New remastered music video. Looks like they digitally removed all they noise from the video so all their faces seem bit waxy. And what the hell is Hag wearing? That outfit makes Michael Bolton look like a badass.

Wikipedia: The song's lyrics proved a major source of contention.[2] Alex called the film's director, Jan De Bont, to ask him how closely he wanted the lyrics to be related to the movie's context, to which De Bont replied "Oh, please don't write about tornadoes. I don't want this to be a narrative for the movie."[3] Hagar obliged, and then asked De Bont for some footage of Twister. Considering that film dealt with "the infatuation people have with fear and how it can suck you in", he decided to write lyrics about how "sometimes you're afraid to fall in love with a chick, but she sucks you in anyway." De Bont and Budd Carr also sent Hagar a folder with terms used by storm chasers as the singer felt he could add lyrics with terms such as "suck zone". The brothers still disliked Hagar's first lyrics ("Sky turning black/knuckles turning white/headed for the suck zone"), and he had to come up with new ones.[2]

Suck Zone! Wtf. Could have been worse I guess.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

And it's the version with the solo hacked up.

That's what they should have named the box set! Suck Zone!
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Is this the box set?:

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            Is this the box set?:
            I believe so. LOL
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Ironically WB releases the song that broke up Van Hagar in the first place as the first teaser to the new remasters.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• VHscraps
                Veteran
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Terry
                Eddie had said prior to Hagar he had talked with Smyth and had broached the idea of her singing with the band which she declined to do.

There was also an idea prior to Hagar being approached of having an album with a bunch of guest singers...like a different singer for each tune.
                Can't quite remember if it was after Dave and before Hagar or after Hagar left - possibly the former - but both Joey Ramone (or his manager) and Wendy O Williams claimed that EVH approached them and broached the idea of becoming the lead singer.

And, I read somewhere recently that Daryl Hall said the same - EVH said something like 'you could become our singer' (and who knows how serious he was when he was saying these things).
                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• VHscraps
                  Veteran
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Silexxx
                  Apparently this was an old article from Classic Rock magazine, July 2011 Issue 159. That is why it seemed like the same old bs because that what it was.
                  I generally like to remain incognito about these things, but I wrote that article - it has been regurgitated in many places online in full. So it has been floating around out there for ten years. I have no beef with people using factoids that my research first uncovered without attribution, because I was paid quite well by Classic Rock, so I got my piece. And it was all documentary research anyway (which is not to say I didn't have to work at it). None of the band would speak to me.

MA was supposed to, but changed his mind on the day of the interview because he was going into the studio with Chickenfoot. Probably found out the band were not co-operating with it (and they refused to co-operate with a later piece Classic Rock wanted me to do).
                  THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
                    Can't quite remember if it was after Dave and before Hagar or after Hagar left - possibly the former - but both Joey Ramone (or his manager) and Wendy O Williams claimed that EVH approached them and broached the idea of becoming the lead singer.

And, I read somewhere recently that Daryl Hall said the same - EVH said something like 'you could become our singer' (and who knows how serious he was when he was saying these things).
                    I had heard several names being rumored between Hagar leaving the band in June of 1996 and the band formerly settling on Cherone in September of 1996...Billy Squier and David Coverdale being the two names that stood out the most in terms of name recognition. I've never heard either of those names publicly being confirmed by any of the band members or management as being under consideration. Thus, both those names/singers could have been literally rumors made up or spun up out of nothing, or both those names could have been ones Ed mentioned in passing to someone as singers he liked.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Some of this stuff does kind of remind me of when Sean Connery was replaced as James Bond. Literally dozens of actors were considered, many screen tested, some probably just bullshitted by potential agents, so that you get to the point where it's a bit unusual for any handsome British actor born between 1935 and 1955 not to have it said that they were 'considered/nearly became James Bond' on their profile or at this point obituary.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Joey Ramone thing was just a rumor. I know that for a fact, because I'm the one who started it!

I made up a whole bogus news article about how they played a secret gig with a set list of both Van Halen & Ramones tunes, and how Joey had changed his name to "Joey Van Halen" to fit into the band.

And people actually believed this story back in 1996.... I wish to fuck I had saved a copy of that fake article
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Joey was a fan though.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

You forgot Patty Symth, later Ed said the idea was to have a number of singers doing a track a piece on the album that would be 5150 and not a single lead singer. I suppose this would be problematic when touring but Ed was probably spinning around at this point...

Comment

• Silexxx
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Sep 2010

Listen to unlimited streaming or download The Collection II by Van Halen in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscriptions from $10.83/month.

I like how the album description starts in Qobuz for this Hagar box set.

"ALBUM DESCRIPTION
                              They really should have changed the name to Van Hagar..."
                              Attached Files

Comment

• VHscraps
                                Veteran
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by FORD
                                Joey was a fan though.....

There's a nice pic somewhere of the Ramones in a record store and Johnny is looking closely and with a smile on his face at VH1 album sleeve. I'd guess it was just around the time the album came out.
                                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

Working...