Reissued Skyscraper

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • David Wolf
    Full On Cocktard
    • Nov 2004
    • 31

    Reissued Skyscraper

    Wow man, it's been a while since I've been able to be on here due to techie issues. Anyway...

    I just found out that there is a CD reissue of "Skyscraper" out there (I saw it on the Canadian and UK branches of Amazon) which has "California Girls" and "Gigolo" added as the opening two tracks to the rest of the album.

    So I was wondering, do any of you guys happen to know if this reissue has anything different or unique about the CD artwork added to it that the original USA release did not have? Maybe a picture on the actual CD, added photos to the booklet, etc.? Heck, maybe it's remastered?

    Thanks for your help in advance.
  • SunisinuS
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • May 2010
    • 3301

    #2
    Originally posted by David Wolf
    Wow man, it's been a while since I've been able to be on here due to techie issues. Anyway...

    I just found out that there is a CD reissue of "Skyscraper" out there (I saw it on the Canadian and UK branches of Amazon) which has "California Girls" and "Gigolo" added as the opening two tracks to the rest of the album.

    So I was wondering, do any of you guys happen to know if this reissue has anything different or unique about the CD artwork added to it that the original USA release did not have? Maybe a picture on the actual CD, added photos to the booklet, etc.? Heck, maybe it's remastered?

    Thanks for your help in advance.
    Checking.....I think that it is a bit new....sounds like someone with the rights still fiddling.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 09-07-2014, 07:41 AM. Reason: In other words I am talking out my ass until I find.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

    Comment

    • VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009
      • 1869

      #3
      ... coincidentally, I was just reading an article about the displays that you used to see in stores like Tower Records, and there was a pic of an in-store Skyscraper wall display ...

      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

      Comment

      • twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

        • Jan 2004
        • 11213

        #4
        Originally posted by SunisinuS
        Checking.....I think that it is a bit new....sounds like someone with the rights still fiddling.
        Probably came out around the time ADKOT did. Warner Bros. cashing in on renewed interest...
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

        Comment

        • David Wolf
          Full On Cocktard
          • Nov 2004
          • 31

          #5
          Originally posted by SunisinuS
          Checking.....I think that it is a bit new....sounds like someone with the rights still fiddling.
          Okay. In case it helps, here's where I found the actual links. Here:



          and here:



          I also noticed that this "CD Reissue" track listing is also listed on Wikipedia too.

          Comment

          • David Wolf
            Full On Cocktard
            • Nov 2004
            • 31

            #6
            Originally posted by VHscraps
            ... coincidentally, I was just reading an article about the displays that you used to see in stores like Tower Records, and there was a pic of an in-store Skyscraper wall display ...

            Now THAT is awesome. Brings back memories.

            Wasn't it the Hollywood Tower Records that Dave did his big outside stunt on for the album's release? Can't recall off the bat.

            Comment

            • DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004
              • 13373

              #7
              Originally posted by VHscraps
              ... coincidentally, I was just reading an article about the displays that you used to see in stores like Tower Records, and there was a pic of an in-store Skyscraper wall display ...

              That's a great article. We had a Tower Records in Charlotte and you'd drive by and see all these amazing pieces of art across the front of the building. I had no idea there were people working just for that store to make the art.

              When I was a kid/young teenager we had two record stores in our local mall so I didn't go to Tower. We went to Camelot and The Record Bar. Most of their signage/displays were probably just corporate stuff from the labels but they were still cool stores. The dudes that worked there knew their shit. They kept up with when so and so was gonna be in town next, what records were coming out, all this stuff. You could walk up to the dude behind the counter and ask a question and it was like talking to some kind of music genie cause he could spit out whatever you wanted to know. And they'd put on a record if you wanted to listen to it to hear some new stuff or whatever. Had the turntable right there behind the counter so they could just swap it out. Nowadays you go into Best Buy or God for bid Walmart and just get your little shrink wrapped plastic piece of shit and pay some kid who probably isn't even sure how a CD works.

              Too bad we don't have those stores anymore. Now you just download it or rush in and out of Big Box Hell to get your copy. I miss the old days of hanging out in the store, flipping thru the records, looking at the magazines, just hangin. And the people in the store didn't want you to hurry up - hell, the damn place was called The Record Bar - they wanted people to hang out.
              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

              Comment

              • Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004
                • 32822

                #8
                There was something about those record stores. Not only was the art cool. The whole atmosphere was cool. The people who worked in them could always tip you off on what bands were playing in the regional area and when and where.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

                Comment

                • David Wolf
                  Full On Cocktard
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 31

                  #9
                  Yeah, tell me about it! There are practically no record stores around anymore, you pretty much have to buy just about everything online - and I hate that, I miss being able to go to a record store, hang out, browse, relax and actually look at the condition of what you're buying in your own hands before paying.

                  Oh, while I'm at it, I just called Barnes & Noble, they say they can order that 12-track CD, it was apparently reissued in 2009.

                  Comment

                  • Satan
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 6664

                    #10
                    I'm not remotely interested in a "remaster" of Skycrapper, unless it's the original master tape that Billy Sheehan claims to have, with a lot less synthesizer cheese on it.
                    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

                    Originally posted by Sockfucker
                    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

                    Comment

                    • David Wolf
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 31

                      #11
                      Originally posted by DONNIEP
                      Nowadays you go into Best Buy or God for bid Walmart and just get your little shrink wrapped plastic piece of shit and pay some kid who probably isn't even sure how a CD works.
                      Or how about when you talk to them about record players, or "turntables", and they insist that those "things" exist supposedly only for people who do rap? Had that happen.

                      I got to visit Amoeba Records recently, thought to myself, "Oh YEAH, FINALLY, a REAL music store!" Never had the chance to go there before... but I was disappointed because the little kiddie staff were so damn rude, lazy and didn't want to do their job. Not the same at all.

                      Comment

                      • Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 7175

                        #12
                        I bought that Skyscraper issue with California Girls Just a Gigolo as opening tracks between 1995 and 1998 at Tower Records in London - it isn't remastered stuff (unfortunately), and I can't say if there's anything more than in the other issue. No inside pics, just the lyrics.
                        I'd rather listen to my vinyle copy anyway.
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

                        Comment

                        • DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004
                          • 10715

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                          I bought that Skyscraper issue with California Girls Just a Gigolo as opening tracks between 1995 and 1998 at Tower Records in London - it isn't remastered stuff (unfortunately), and I can't say if there's anything more than in the other issue. No inside pics, just the lyrics.
                          I'd rather listen to my vinyle copy anyway.
                          same here...got that CD in addition to the vinyls for the car back then and found it cool to have Gigolo and California Girls, too...never listen to skyscraper these days...for me still the lowpoint of Dave's album record...I'd rather listen to Diamond Dave than to skyscraper...
                          Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

                          Comment

                          Working...