Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Wisconsin Schools to bring back Creationism

Wisconsin district to teach more than evolution
    Saturday, November 6, 2004 Posted: 9:36 PM EST (0236 GMT)

GRANTSBURG, Wisconsin (AP) -- School officials have revised the science curriculum to allow the teaching of creationism, prompting an outcry from more than 300 educators who urged that the decision be reversed.

Members of Grantsburg's school board believed that a state law governing the teaching of evolution was too restrictive. The science curriculum "should not be totally inclusive of just one scientific theory," said Joni Burgin, superintendent of the district of 1,000 students in northwest Wisconsin.

Last month, when the board examined its science curriculum, language was added calling for "various models/theories" of origin to be incorporated.

The decision provoked more than 300 biology and religious studies faculty members to write a letter last week urging the Grantsburg board to reverse the policy. It follows a letter sent previously by 43 deans at Wisconsin public universities.

"Insisting that teachers teach alternative theories of origin in biology classes takes time away from real learning, confuses some students and is a misuse of limited class time and public funds," said Don Waller, a botanist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Wisconsin law mandates that evolution be taught, but school districts are free to create their own curricular standards, said Joe Donovan, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Instruction.

There have been scattered efforts around the nation for other school boards to adopt similar measures. Last month the Dover Area School Board in Pennsylvania voted to require the teaching of alternative theories to evolution, including "intelligent design" -- the idea that life is too complex to have developed without a creator.

The state education board in Kansas was heavily criticized in 1999 when it deleted most references to evolution. The decision was reversed in 2001.

In March, the Ohio Board of Education narrowly approved a lesson plan that some critics contended opens the door to teaching creationism.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Yeah!! Our children will learn how God created the word in seven days, literally interpreting the Bible! Praise Jesus! You were saying Bush supporters are not hicks?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Evolution is false..

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    Evolution is false..
    You are insane.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Both evolution and creationism are properly described as "theories", since there is no way to PROVE either one.

God doesn't come down to Earth for a command performance and create something.

On the other hand, nobody has ever witnessed one species evolve into another either.

Sure, there are changes within a species, adaptability issues and all that, but no evidence whatsoever that man came from monkeys.

....well except for him anyway.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

General Secretaty
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nickdfresh don't get your panties in a wad. It's one very small school district.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
    Nickdfresh don't get your panties in a wad. It's one very small school district.
    That's how it starts.

General Secretaty
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    That's how it starts.
    I can guarantee you it's not going to take hold in Wisconsin.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Evolution is false..

This explains everything.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How can this be taught when this clearly violates separation of Church and State? Creationism is not an alternative SCIENTIFIC theory, it is merely Old Testament writings...but we all know this.

I could see perhaps that within a Theology class that Creationism be taught, but if it is a theological class, then differing viewpoints from all "religions" should be also inserted into said class...of course this should be put int the context of a Sociological and Historical perspective...

Creationism is not Science...

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by FORD
    Both evolution and creationism are properly described as "theories", since there is no way to PROVE either one.

God doesn't come down to Earth for a command performance and create something.

On the other hand, nobody has ever witnessed one species evolve into another either.

Sure, there are changes within a species, adaptability issues and all that, but no evidence whatsoever that man came from monkeys.

Damn......I think I actually agree with FORD on this one.

Let the school districts teach BOTH theories and let the students WITH the parents decide in which to believe.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You aren't the only one triple B.

Seriously, why should we restrict what is taught? I think they should be open to all explinations, as I believe people should try to learn about as many religions and lack of religions as possible, so that they can decide for themselves what they believe to be the truth.
    Roth Army Militia

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ally, It is nothing more than persecution.
    The Anti-God types aren't concerned about the education the kids get. they are concerned with how much control they can have over our kids by filling their heads with garbage no believer can tolerate.

I dealt with it for one year in public schools with my youngest daughter, and had enough of it.
    That is why she'll never set foot in a public school again.

There isn't a public school on earth that can beat the quality of education she is getting.

Personally, i don't think creation or evolution should be taught in school.
    That is something for the family and church to teach.
    I don't want educators dictating to me what my child should be learning.

Teach her to read, write and do math. The rest is my responsibility as it is with all parents.

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How about this -- make an elective that teaches all the various ways people of different beliefs and races view creation. There are enough to fill an entire semester, and if gone deeply enough into it, an entire year.

And not only do you cover all the creation stories so that the children are well-informed and can go on to think for themselves, but it's an elective so the children choose whether or not they want to take it.

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I also think they should do that with religion. Have a class -- again, elective -- that teaches the different religions of the world, what they belief, customs, all that type of thing.

And as an added bonus, because they are educated about it, they are more likely to be more tolerant of others who do not share the same belief structure and they do. There will be an understanding. And maybe even a step towards peace.

I know, I'm being a bit of a daydreamer. But I seriously think it should be an option for those who want to learn about things like this. I know here in NYC there isn't. Not until college, sometimes.

diamond den™
    Originally posted by Ally_Kat
    How about this -- make an elective that teaches all the various ways people of different beliefs and races view creation. There are enough to fill an entire semester, and if gone deeply enough into it, an entire year.

And not only do you cover all the creation stories so that the children are well-informed and can go on to think for themselves, but it's an elective so the children choose whether or not they want to take it.
    They did that in the High School I went too..........

It wasn't very useful.

People eventually make up their own minds what to believe and what not top believe.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Evolution is false..

That's just a stupid statement. You can see evidence of evolution in the past few centuries, dumbass. Humans are about a foot taller than say 300 years ago, our limbs longer, and our brain cases are larger...well, MOST people's are....geez, watch the discovery channel or something.

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by diamond den™
    They did that in the High School I went too..........

It wasn't very useful.

People eventually make up their own minds what to believe and what not top believe.
    You obviously missed the whole educated decision part of the whole thing and being educated on what others believe. Or do you think we should remain ignorant about cultures and beliefs different to the ones we hold?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let's put it this way: In the Catholic school I went to, they taught the creation story, but acknowledged the evidence of evolutionary changes in humanity over the centuries...
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Keep Baby Jesus out of our schools!

General Secretaty
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gee, just think, this happened in a BLUE state...tsk tsk

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

As a former teacher, I covered creation stories---IN ENGLISH CLASS!- not in biology.

By the way, the earth is flat! Let's teach that! The moon landings were faked, and all the planets revolve around the Earth! These are all perfectly sustainable theories. In fact, why don't we teach everything, so we can waste time, tax dollars, and regress back from the age of reason and scientific thought. If people want to take the bible literally, that's fine, send your kids to a private school, but don't mask fundamentalist biblical interpretation by calling it "Creationism" and pretending it has any empirical basis.:confused:

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's a mind bender for you creationists...if evolution is false, why do ALL humans have a vestigial TAIL on the end of our spines??! Y'know, TAIL-BONE, people? It says nowhere in the bible that Adam and Eve were EXACTLY as humans are today....also, if creationism is true...we all descended from Adam and Eve's KIDS fucking. Incest, anyone?

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As a former teacher, I covered creation stories---IN ENGLISH CLASS!- not in biology.

By the way, the earth is flat! Let's teach that! The moon landings were faked, and all the planets revolve around the Earth! These are all perfectly sustainable theories. In fact, why don't we teach everything, so we can waste time, tax dollars, and regress back from the age of reason and scientific thought. If people want to take the bible literally, that's fine, send your kids to a private school, but don't mask fundamentalist biblical interpretation by calling it "Creationism" and pretending it has any empirical basis.:confused:
    Point to where I said make it a science class. Point to anywhere where I said what subject it would fall under. Want me to? Okay. If it were to be a subject, I suppose it would be filed under anthropology.

And you are getting all riled up and thinking we're going to revert back scientifically when that was nothing close to what I am proposing. Maybe i need to re-explain it?

We do teach young minds that people believed the earth was flat, don't we? I learned it, my brother learned it, and now my little cousins are coming home telling me that people once believed the world was flat. We also teach them about the universe revolving around the earth and who believed in that and when.

We teach them in History and, at the higher level, they are taught in Philosophy classes. They are past theories that were proven wrong and they are taught because those thoughts came into play with History. Well, what about theories and beliefs of Judaism, Islam, Christianity, atheists, Deists, etc. They have helped and are continuing to help shape events in our present. There are many from the public educational system that do not learn about current Israal-Palestine conflicts because they do not understand where they are coming from. They don't understand why the Jews want that specific land. Likewise, many don't understand Islam and what their followers believe in.

Such education and understanding of why certain groups do certain things should not be held only for those who go on to college. And I truely do not see how educating one about the different views of the various people within the world and why they do certain things is a step BACK. I see it as a step forward. Understanding other parties involved can be used to work towards an understaning. Ya know, that word "tolerance" that everyone likes to throw around and thinks we should take kids out of class to attend an assembly on.

Exploring all views. Cause remember, not everyone views the world as an atheist.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not every Christian intererprets the Bible literally and rejects science out-of-hand when it conflicts with their fundimentalist paradigns.:eek:

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jhale667
    Here's a mind bender for you creationists...if evolution is false, why do ALL humans have a vestigial TAIL on the end of our spines??! Y'know, TAIL-BONE, people? It says nowhere in the bible that Adam and Eve were EXACTLY as humans are today....also, if creationism is true...we all descended from Adam and Eve's KIDS fucking. Incest, anyone?
    Why do humans have a tail bone? Because God wanted them to? DUH!

God most likely wanted similarities in alot of his creatures: the fact that all mammals have hair, the fact that all fish have gills, etc. etc. I don't see how having a tailbone makes creationism false.

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not every Christian intererprets the Bible literally and rejects science out-of-hand when it conflicts with their fundimentalist paradigns.:eek:
    No, but if they are Christian, they believe that God created the Universe and all within it, making man in His image and likeness.

And what does that have to do with teaching kids as if the world was atheistic and keeping them in the dark about different cultures and beliefs?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Frankly, I don't think evolution means atheism, nor do I believe science in general is anti-religious. But we have a duty to teach our children to seek the truth, not sustain untenable Biblical beliefs written by men and not God. But I get upset when I see so called "Creationists" attempt to prove the possibility of their chosen paradigm with pseudo-evidence and concocted poppy-cock. How do you explain the dinosaurs? The ice ages?

How can we produce the next generation of scientists, or engineers, or remain on the cutting edge of technology with this? The Europeans and Japanese are laughing at us over this.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Humans are about a foot taller than say 300 years ago, our limbs longer, and our brain cases are larger...
    That is total nonsense...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So you're saying that 1200 years ago people were a foot tall ??

Idiot!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    if creationism is true...we all descended from Adam and Eve's KIDS fucking. Incest, anyone?

That is true...

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Frankly, I don't think evolution means atheism, nor do I believe science in general is anti-religious. But we have a duty to teach our children to seek the truth, not sustain untenable Biblical beliefs written by men and not God. But I get upset when I see so called "Creationists" attempt to prove the possibility of their chosen paradigm with pseudo-evidence and concocted poppy-cock. How do you explain the dinosaurs? The ice ages?

How can we produce the next generation of scientists, or engineers, or remain on the cutting edge of technology with this? The Europeans and Japanese are laughing at us over this.

Condescending attitudes like this will lose the Democrats more seats in the 2006 and the 2008 elections.

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, they can laugh all they want. At least I'm still allowed to wear any religious artifact public if I want, unlike those in France. But, likewise, as they laugh they can also explain different religion viewpoints better.

What I don't understand is why you think understanding someone you might come across or a group that might rise up for some historical event is withholding truth from our children. You can understand the scientific truth AND understand your fellow human's belief structure. Knowing what Mayans believe to be the creation of the world never stopped anyone from becoming a scientist.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, they can laugh all they want. At least I'm still allowed to wear any religious artifact public if I want, unlike those in France. But, likewise, as they laugh they can also explain different religion viewpoints better...
    Yes but many bigots on this site would approve because it mainly was to ban headscarves on Muslim women.

The main reason was that Arabic women living in France who did not wear the head scarves were often attacked and raped by arabic men as punishment for being "Westernized whores!"

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Warham
    Why do humans have a tail bone? Because God wanted them to? DUH!

God most likely wanted similarities in alot of his creatures: the fact that all mammals have hair, the fact that all fish have gills, etc. etc. I don't see how having a tailbone makes creationism false.
    You guys talk about god like it's actually real. That's scary!

What about dinosaurs?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
    You guys talk about god like it's actually real.
    God is real, dude...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

What about dinosaurs?

And you sir talk about God like it's not! Our brains are merely desktop computers linked to a cosmic internet run by a supercomputer we cannot comprehend.
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-07-2004 at 08:51 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

What about dinosaurs?

What about them? God made them too.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "God is in the voices in the street." James Joyce "Ulysses"

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Our brains are merely desktop computers linked to a cosmic internet run by a supercomputer we cannot comprehend.
    I agree with you. I just don't think there is an old man with a white beard who made the world in seven days.

Some of those brains have died in Iraq looking for WMD.

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Warham
    What about them? God made them too.
    Is that the new canned christian response to the dinosaur question? Lame.

I thought you were done with me? Back for more?

Thread Information