X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Ashcroft
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Matt Lauer equates U.S. Founders with terrorists

In an interview with second lady Lynne Cheney, the "Today Show's" Matt Lauer equated the Islamic radicals in Fallujah terrorizing Iraq with George Washington's Revolutionary War army.

Questioning Cheney about her new children's book, "When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots," the NBC host asked Cheney, in light of the current offensive on Fallujah, to apply to today the lesson of a "rag-tag group" going up against a powerful, well-equipped army.

Lauer was rebuffed by the vice president's wife for equating Washington's troops with the radical Muslim terrorists then clarified his line of questioning.

"I'm just saying, but the insurgents believe they're fighting for a cause as well," Lauer explained. "They don't believe any less than we believe."

The conversation Tuesday was recorded by the Virginia-based Media Research Center.

Lauer: "Let me talk about this idea that a rag-tag group, not well-fed, not well-clothed, completely under-equipped as compared to this great British army and the Hessian could accomplish this. And let me ask you to think about what is going on in Iraq today. Where the insurgents not well equipped, smaller in numbers, the greatest army in the world is their opposition. What's, what's the lesson?"
    Cheney: "Well, the difference of course is who's fighting on the side of freedom. Ideas motivate people. And the idea of freedom is such a mighty one. There's a very good book by a man named David Hackett Fischer has written a book called Washington's Crossing. And I spent a good deal of time talking to him. He talks about how this is an entirely new thing. These are people who are fighting not because they had to, they could walk off. At one point Washington had to convince many of them to stay."

Lauer: "I think he promised them more pay, actually."

Cheney: "He did. But he also told them they were fighting for a mighty idea. And I think the same has been true. The same advantage has been at the back of Americans forever. We have a mighty cause in which we're fighting."

Lauer: "I'm just saying, but the insurgents believe they're fighting for a cause as well. They don't believe any less than we believe. And yet -- "

Cheney: "Well, but Matt, you're being awfully relativistic here. I mean, the insurgents are killing Iraqis by the hundreds, Iraqis by the thousands. It's not as though this is a matter between just 'on the one hand on the other hand.' We are on the side of freedom. We are on the side that I think that idea is so powerful and does give us wind at our back."

Similarly, in an Oct. 18 interview on MSNBC's "Hardball," the Media Research Center noted, host Chris Matthews painted the Iraqi insurgents as modern Minute Men in his discussion with former President Jimmy Carter, author of a novel set during the Revolutionary War.

Matthews asked Carter whether in the Founding Father's "insurgency against a powerful British force, do you see any parallels between the, the fighting that we did on our side and the fighting that is going on in Iraq today?"

Carter replied, "Well, one parallel is that the Revolutionary War, more than any other war up until recently, has been the most bloody war we've fought. I think another parallel is that in some ways the Revolutionary War could have been avoided. It was an unnecessary war. Had the British Parliament been a little more sensitive to the colonial's really legitimate complaints and requests the war could have been avoided completely, and of course now we would have been a free country now as is Canada and India and Australia, having gotten our independence in a nonviolent way. I think in many ways the British were very misled in going to war against America and in trying to enforce their will on people who were quite different from them at the time."

Link: here
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Lauer and Cheney both have points. The insurgents do believe in their cause though I am mystified as to why Lauer would bring it up in that context.

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

I don't remember reading about how the Colony troops used wagon bombs to blow unsuspecting British civilians into a million pieces and sending their children out with bombs strapped to their bodies to blow up the local town hall.

Lauer is a cunt.

Comment

• Mezro
        Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Warham
        I don't remember reading about how the Colony troops used wagon bombs to blow unsuspecting British civilians into a million pieces and sending their children out with bombs strapped to their bodies to blow up the local town hall.

Lauer is a cunt.
        Lauer is a cunt with a bad hair cut and dreams of being Bryant Gumbel's gumbo.

Mezro...morning TV is such fluffy crap...
        Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Lauer is a cunt.
          [QUOTE][i]

I do remember hearing how American Revolutionary war guerillas often abducted "Tories" or British sympathizers an lynched them in the middle of the night, especially in the South where we were overpowered by the British and we were fighting a very (mutually) nasty guerilla war. I have also heard of rapes, extra judicial killing, and torture used by both sides as torture or psychological warfare.

A few years ago, when "The Patriot" came out, British historians were upset at the portrayal of Lord Tarrington's calvary as murdering despots in South Carolina (which was true, they were) without showing a "fair and balanced" portrayal of the terrorist tactics used by the Patriots.

I learned that we used terrorism in the Revolutionary War in the U.S. Army while going through a course on the subject.

While the aims of the American Patriots were as noble as the aims of the Iraqi insurgents are despotic, have no illusions about the glorious Revolution my friend.

Matt Lauer has a point. Though he is misguided in the direct comparison.

Comment

• aesop
            Commando
            • Oct 2004

Re: Matt Lauer equates U.S. Founders with terrorists

Originally posted by John Ashcroft
            [B]
            Lauer: "Let me talk about this idea that a rag-tag group, not well-fed, not well-clothed, completely under-equipped as compared to this great British army and the Hessian could accomplish this. And let me ask you to think about what is going on in Iraq today. Where the insurgents not well equipped, smaller in numbers, the greatest army in the world is their opposition. What's, what's the lesson?"
            "Dont Tread on Me" the American Revolutinaries' motto lives on........
            Big government, left-wingers, and terrorists aim to prohibit your LIBERTY.
            Show your DEFIANCE!!!!!!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
            Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• Warham
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

I'll always consider the Revolution glorious. It got us out from under that filthy bugger, King George.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I hope nobody's confusing Matt Lauer with the "liberal media", because he is indeed a cunt. A neocon cunt to be specific.

It's a valid question to ask though: what is terrorism, and who is a terrorist?

Did old King George and the Brits consider George Washington a terrorist? I think it's safe to assume they did.

The Jews in Israel consider the Palestinians "terrorists" and the Palestinians feel the same about the Jews. So who's right? both? neither?

Iraqis no doubt think the BCE and US troops are the terrorists. Can you blame them? Their country was invaded without cause and the occupation continues. And whatever reasons are given, they ain't buying it.

It's all a matter of perspective I guess. And my perspective is the whole fucking mess could have easily been avoided by not going there in the first fucking place.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

I guess we could have avoided the mess in the 1700's by not going to war against Great Britain.

Just think, Prince Charles' glorious profile could be on our two dollar bill!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    I hope nobody's confusing Matt Lauer with the "liberal media", because he is indeed a cunt. A neocon cunt to be specific.
                    You're joking, right?
                    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Nobody on the Today show is a conservative.

Katie Couric could have worked on Kerry's campaign, she was so biased.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                        You're joking, right?
                        Obviously you didn't see his ass kissing interview of Junior, nor his assault on Michael Moore. His right wing bias is blatantly obvious to anyone who's watched his weasel ass.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Denny
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD

It's a valid question to ask though: what is terrorism, and who is a terrorist?

Did old King George and the Brits consider George Washington a terrorist? I think it's safe to assume they did.

The Jews in Israel consider the Palestinians "terrorists" and the Palestinians feel the same about the Jews. So who's right? both? neither?

Iraqis no doubt think the BCE and US troops are the terrorists. Can you blame them? Their country was invaded without cause and the occupation continues. And whatever reasons are given, they ain't buying it.

It's all a matter of perspective I guess. And my perspective is the whole fucking mess could have easily been avoided by not going there in the first fucking place.
                          The English are Fucking Terrorists.

RIP Bobby Sands 1954-1981

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I guess we could have avoided the mess in the 1700's by not going to war against Great Britain.

Just think, Prince Charles' glorious profile could be on our two dollar bill!
                            They'd be pound notes in that case. I too consider the Revolution glorious. I'm just saying the world ought not be viewed through a prism of black and white.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Denny

RIP Bobby Sands 1954-1981

Bobby Sands took it in the arse.
                              “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Working...