Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IWF Denounces Racist Depictions of Dr. Condoleezza Rice in Popular Editorial Cartoons

Ford's Daddy
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

IWF Denounces Racist Depictions of Dr. Condoleezza Rice in Popular Editorial Cartoons

WASHINGTON, DC -- The Independent Women’s Forum today denounced as blatantly racist several editorial cartoons featuring Dr. Condoleezza Rice, National Security Advisor and President Bush’s nominee for Secretary of State. These cartoons clearly draw upon centuries of deep-rooted, wicked and indefensible portrayals of black women.

"The depiction of Dr. Condoleezza Rice by Jeff Danziger, Pat Oliphant and Garry Trudeau as an ebonics speaking, big-lipped, black mammy who just loves her 'massa' is a disturbing trend in editorial cartoons," said Michelle D. Bernard, senior vice president of the Independent Women's Forum. "These cartoons take the racism of the liberals who profess respect and adoration for black Americans to a new level. It is revolting."

Danziger, Oliphant and Trudeau, whose editorial cartoons are very popular in the United States, are also renowned all over the world.

"The most powerful woman in the United States is young, gifted and black. Given our nation's history of race-based slavery, the ensuing civil rights movement and our continual battle against race- and sex- based discrimination, every citizen in our nation should take pride in Dr. Rice's accomplishments," said Bernard. "She is a representation of America's past and future all at once. One must ask where is the outrage of the nation's civil rights leadership, feminist organizations, and the so-called liberals who only seem to embrace black America in election years?"

"Condoleezza Rice was the first woman ever appointed as National Security Advisor. After Secretary of State Colin Powell, Dr. Rice will be the second African American to hold both posts," said Bernard. "These cartoons are decidedly unfunny."

Link: here

SensibleShoes
    You know I'm a dyed in the wool Liberal, at least according to SOME...cough gag FISH.....Switch ahem.

But for christ sakes, here's a woman who's so friggin smart she can hold a variety of cabinet positions and they want to trash her? Fuck, I don't know many white women who could fit that bill. It's all to her credit, and even if she's working for the biggest dork president ever,

GOOD FOR HER.

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's ok 'cause she's a RepubliKKKan...

There will be no retractions/apologies...

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is all very PC and very liberalish.

You want to head the State Department? You want to operate on the world stage? You want the spotlight? It's all your's, but you have to deal with the consequences.
    gnaw on it

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The depiction of Dr. Condoleezza Rice by Jeff Danziger, Pat Oliphant and Garry Trudeau as an ebonics speaking, big-lipped, black mammy who just loves her 'massa'

This characterization is entirely false in 2 of the cartoons shown .

The Oliphant cartoon portrays her as a pet bird. Where some Republicans might find that objectionable, it hardly meets the "racist desscription"

And the Doonesbury cartoon doesn't even contain the remotest element of any of the charges made, apart from Junior referring to her as "Brown Sugar" which is based on nothing more than rumors that Rice herself started by mistakingly calling Junior her husband in a previous interview.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Ford's Daddy
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The consequences of being belittled and demeaned by racist liberals?

From what I gather, she's doing just fine. But are you saying that enduring racism (from liberals in this case) is just "part of the job"

Typical, blame the victim not the racist assholes.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by John Ashcroft

From what I gather, she's doing just fine. But are you saying that enduring racism (from liberals in this case) is just "part of the job"

Keep fighting the battle for political correctness JA!

SensibleShoes
    I guess I am talking about the "getting there" part. There's no question the woman can DO the jobs, she may not do them as we LIKE. And I'm sure she's not batting an eye at this shit, certainly not publicly.

YOu guys don't know me, I work in Television News - albeit in a small market - and I've been seeing a marked swing to the right in the perpetual journalistic slant - away from the PC liberal hogwash. Not a bad thing - but this is a little over the line, and I'm no Republican by any stretch of the imagination. And it's a paradox because it is ultra conservative tripe while trashing the republican administration. POinting up once again that traditional political lines are completely fucked up right now.

Just observation - and I'm off to work now to work on EXTREME MAKEOVERS!!!!! Qualifying the worth of my political opinions I guess.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by SensibleShoes
    I guess I am talking about the "getting there" part. There's no question the woman can DO the jobs, she may not do them as we LIKE. And I'm sure she's not batting an eye at this shit, certainly not publicly.

YOu guys don't know me, I work in Television News - albeit in a small market - and I've been seeing a marked swing to the right in the perpetual journalistic slant - away from the PC liberal hogwash. Not a bad thing - but this is a little over the line, and I'm no Republican by any stretch of the imagination. And it's a paradox because it is ultra conservative tripe while trashing the republican administration. POinting up once again that traditional political lines are completely fucked up right now.

Just observation - and I'm off to work now to work on EXTREME MAKEOVERS!!!!! Qualifying the worth of my political opinions I guess.
    Why it's almost as racist as...Willie Horton! Bullshit, this is such a non issue. Is Doonsbury's depiction of Dubya, as an invisible man with a Roman helmet on, racist? Caracatures are part of political lampooning. If you want to believe that any exaggerated or comical depiction of Condi is racist, than go ahead. But "protecting" people in power from scorn based on there skin color is just another form of racial stereotyping.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I don't think the depictions you posted were racist at all.

Further, I am confused that such a staunch conservative as yourself would resort to this PC bullshit. You've probably bashed people for hiding behind PCness numerous times during your admittedly long tenure here.

Also, I don't see how anyone can characterize the National Security Advisor who presided over the worst attack on American soil in almost 200 years as "doing fine."

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    She's a fucking liar, so screw her.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Seshmeister
    She's a fucking liar, so screw her.
    Junior has. That's why they kiss in public and she refers to him as "my husband".

Which probably confused Pickles.... unless Junior secretly converted to Mormonism.

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...io_host_remark

Radio Host Calls Rice 'Aunt Jemima'

Fri Nov 19,12:33 AM ET U.S. National - AP

By JAMES A. CARLSON, Associated Press Writer

MILWAUKEE - A radio talk show host drew criticism Thursday after calling Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) an "Aunt Jemima" and saying she isn't competent to be secretary of state.

John Sylvester, the program director and morning personality on WTDY-AM in Madison, said in a phone interview Thursday that he used the term on Wednesday's show to describe Rice and other blacks as having only a subservient role in the Bush administration.

Rice has served as President Bush (news - web sites)'s national security adviser and was named this week to replace the departing Colin Powell (news - web sites) as secretary of state.

Sylvester, who is white, also referred to Powell as an "Uncle Tom" — a contemptuous term for a black whose behavior toward whites is regarded as fawning or servile.

He said Thursday night that he was referring to remarks by singer and civil rights activist Harry Belafonte that the price of admittance for blacks to the Bush White House was subservience.

As for Rice, "they're using her for an illusion of inclusion," he said, adding that he feels her history as national security adviser showed a lack of competence.

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz called the remarks "racially insensitive," while Sen. Russ Feingold (news, bio, voting record), D-Wis., said in a statement he joined "all Wisconsinites in rejecting" the statements.

Linda Hoskins of the NAACP's Madison branch said she could not comment on Sylvester's remarks until she had heard them in their entirety.

The station's corporate office received about 100 calls about his comments, Sylvester said.

He added that he has a long history of commitment to civil rights and has supported Madison's black community.

He said he was planning a giveaway on Friday's show of Aunt Jemima pancake mix and syrup. "I will apologize to Aunt Jemima," he said.

The incident came after a radio host in Milwaukee had his talk show taken off the air all of last week after he used word "wetback" to refer to undocumented Mexican immigrants, sparking protests from Hispanics.

___

Associated Press writer JR Ross in Madison contributed to this story.

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dad and I have decided that, in retrospect, We handled the whole Tower of Babel thing wrong.

Allowing you mortals to create this myth of "different" races hath turned into a huge disaster

And this I tell you as a Jew who was born in the West Bank with a name shared by thousands of Mexicans......

Getteth Over It! There are NO "races"!

Thus saith the Lord

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Amen, JC!

And continuing in the gospel theme, from Garth Brooks 4:1.......

This ain't comin' from no prophet
    Just an ordinary man
    When I close my eyes I see
    The way this world shall be
    When we all walk hand in hand

When the last child cries for a crust of bread
    When the last man dies for just words that he said
    When there's shelter over the poorest head
    We shall be free

When the last thing we notice is the color of skin
    And the first thing we look for is the beauty within
    When the skies and the oceans are clean again
    Then we shall be free

We shall be free
    We shall be free
    Stand straight, walk proud
    'Cause we shall be free

When we're free to love anyone we choose
    When this world's big enough for all different views
    When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
    Then we shall be free
    We shall be free

We shall be free
    Have a little faith
    Hold out
    'Cause we shall be free

And when money talks for the very last time
    And nobody walks a step behind
    When there's only one race and that's mankind
    Then we shall be free

We shall be free
    We shall be free
    Stand straight, walk proud, have a little faith, hold out
    We shall be free

We shall be free
    We shall be free
    Stand straight, have a little faith

We shall be free

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not surprised by this trashing of Ms. Rice. What better way to attempt the demeaning of a person than to stoop as low as the ethnicity level? Is Ms. Rice smarter than anyone on this board? You bet! Is she attacked out of obvious envy? Yes. She represents the opposite role of what black women are 'supposed' to be. We're all supposed to be ignorant, drug-addicted, moralless, sex-addicted, multiple fathered children having, subserviant dolts. Ms. Rice, myself and many other black women shatters that ugly (and hurtful) stereotype EVERYDAY!

So 'hate on', small-minded assholes. We're here to stay, whether you like it or not.
    "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
    Blackflag on DLR

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm sure Rice is smarter than me but a corrupt sneaky lying asshole is a corrupt sneaky lying asshole.

Playing the race card either way is weak.

lucky wilbury
    wille horton wasen't racist. all that ad did was point out that under dukockis/kerry convivted felons,murders,rapists,drug dealers were allowed to leave jail to go where ever they wanted un supervised. thats not racsist that a stupid policy being pointed out.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Lightbulb

Rice is very smart and hypereducated, no doubt. But I've also heard that she is a shitty, aloof manager that lacks "people skills." Should be perfect for Secretary of State.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Switch84
    I'm not surprised by this trashing of Ms. Rice. What better way to attempt the demeaning of a person than to stoop as low as the ethnicity level? Is Ms. Rice smarter than anyone on this board? You bet! Is she attacked out of obvious envy? Yes. She represents the opposite role of what black women are 'supposed' to be. We're all supposed to be ignorant, drug-addicted, moralless, sex-addicted, multiple fathered children having, subserviant dolts. Ms. Rice, myself and many other black women shatters that ugly (and hurtful) stereotype EVERYDAY!

So 'hate on', small-minded assholes. We're here to stay, whether you like it or not.

Awesome post!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by lucky wilbury
    wille horton wasen't racist. all that ad did was point out that under dukockis/kerry convivted felons,murders,rapists,drug dealers were allowed to leave jail to go where ever they wanted un supervised. thats not racsist that a stupid policy being pointed out.
    No showing the image of a black man on TV and blaming Dukakis for the murder/rape isn't racist at all. Actually most people would disagree. It was very racist and appealed to the ole' heartland red state territories. The Republicans know that fear and hatred spawned from ignorance and lack of understanding is a good thing.

By the way, many Republican goveners had the same policies.

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ODShowtime
    I don't think the depictions you posted were racist at all.
    Wait. Not even --

?

Awh come on. If the shoe were on the other foot, there would be all hell to pay.
    Roth Army Militia

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Proof that Rice is smart is that she was the only one they could trust to talk publicly under oath to the 9-11 Commision without getting completely caught out.

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm sure Rice is smarter than me but a corrupt sneaky lying asshole is a corrupt sneaky lying asshole.

Playing the race card either way is weak.

SHE isn't playing anything, Sesh. Step outside of your homogenous world for a second and see that people still have bigoted views of non-white people. Our new Attorney General is going to catch heat (if he isn't already) for being Hispanic; his 'suitability' and his intelligence will also be questioned.

It isn't wrong to call out biases and bigotry; it's the right thing to do. Anybody's ethnicity should never be fodder for personal or political attacks. That just shows the ignorance of the person using such deplorable methods.

Ford's Daddy
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Amen.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    SHE isn't playing anything, Sesh. Step outside of your homogenous world for a second and see that people still have bigoted views of non-white people. Our new Attorney General is going to catch heat (if he isn't already) for being Hispanic; his 'suitability' and his intelligence will also be questioned.

It isn't wrong to call out biases and bigotry; it's the right thing to do. Anybody's ethnicity should never be fodder for personal or political attacks. That just shows the ignorance of the person using such deplorable methods.
    Well, I guess 'cause she's African-American, she is now officially off-limits for criticism!

Of course those aluminum tubes were falsely used as evidence of Iraq's phantom nuclear program. But it's racist to point that out.

Let me get all misty eyed over that horrifyingly racist portrayl of a woman who has helped the Bush Administration get over 1400 troops killed in Iraq through a combination of deception and negligence.
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-19-2004 at 08:47 PM.

Ford's Daddy
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well other than being just plain wrong on all of your "points", you also must be just a little bit stupid or something.

I don't believe I've ever heard Dr. Rice say "I knows all about aluminum tubes"... Key (demeaningly racist) word "knows".

Maybe the "artist" just watched "The Color Purple" before making that piece of shit cartoon. But I don't believe black people typically talk like that. In fact, I know they don't.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What point was I wrong on?

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

He gets it, folks!

Well other than being just plain wrong on all of your "points", you also must be just a little bit stupid or something.

I don't believe I've ever heard Dr. Rice say "I knows all about aluminum tubes"... Key (demeaningly racist) word "knows".

Maybe the "artist" just watched "The Color Purple" before making that piece of shit cartoon. But I don't believe black people typically talk like that. In fact, I know they don't.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, JA! Dr. Rice isn't above criticism. I never said she was. It's those shitty depictions that concern and anger me! "I KNOWS all about aluminum tubes...." is a direct jab at the stereotype that black people aren't smart enough to even speak properly, much less hold a position of distinction. For Sesh, Darling Nikki and others to not see that faux pax makes me question their mindset.

How much plainer could this fact be stated? To think nothing's wrong with perpetuating this stereotype shows that this is how these naysayers feel about black people, too.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by lucky wilbury
    Full Metal Jackoff - lyrics by Jello Biafra

Around our nation's capital
    There's a freeway 8 lanes wide
    White concrete ringed around the city
    For those who want inside
    Get on get off
    Ignore everything to the sides
    In your midst I drive
    While homeboys in the back of the van make drugs

Wanna hide something like a crack lab
    Just put it in plain sight
    Only stop to refuel and unload
    More poison to tear more lives apart
    Gang wars like never before
    Better lock your doors, buy some guns
    And pray for martial law

On the Washington D.C. Beltway
    Around and around I go
    In the black van with no windows
    And a chimney puffing smoke
    Bloody headlines in the news each day
    Drug "crisis" everywhere
    So much comes in so easy
    It's as though someone wants it there

It would be a little obvious
    To fence off all the slums
    Hand out machine guns
    to the poor in the projects
    And watch 'em kill each other off
    A more subtle genocide is when
    The only hope for the young
    Is to join the Army and slowly die
    Wall Street or Crack Dealer Avenue
    The last roads left to the American Dream

Only one road leads to this neighborhood
    Little kids wanna sell drugs when they grow up

The folks might get just a little upset
    If they knew where that dope comes from
    From Colombia to the Contras
    To our Air Force bases, where we trade it for guns
    The moral equivilent of a serial killer
    And his CIA friends
    Call the shots from the White House
    But now that we own the media too
    Those stories just aren't run

On the Washington D.C. Beltway, 'round and 'round I go
    In a black van with no windows, and a chimney puffing smoke
    Same gang that ran smack in Viet Nam
    Ain't got no reason to fear
    Just get a Vice President so dumb
    The crook at the top never gets impeached

That sure was easy wasn't it?
    That sure was easy wasn't it?
    More crack-more panic-more cops-more jails

You see emergency-total war
    You see emergency-total war
    You see a black face-you see a crackhead
    You see a black face-you see a crackhead
    You see a black face-you see Willie Horton with a knife
    You see Willie Horton with a knife

You see one Willie Horton you've seen them all

They're everywhere, I know
    You asked for it, you've got it
    Drug suspects have no rights at all
    Property seized and sold before trial
    Labor camps-on American soil?!?
    Neo-Nazi bootboys
    That the cops never seem to arrest
    Prowl neighborhoods with baseball bats
    Why now? Why do they get so much press...?

Mein Kampf-the mini series
    Ollie North-"patriotic" hero
    The leader for tomorrow is yours today
    Finally gotcha psyched for a police state

On the Washington D.C. Beltway
    Around and around I go
    In a black van with no windows
    And a chimney puffing smoke
    My van's a mobile oven now
    That burns the bodies you never see
    Just like in Chile or Guatemala
    People just seem to disappear

Just like Rome
    We fell asleep when we got spoiled
    Ignore human rights in the rest of the world
    Ya might just lose your own

As the noose of narco-militarism
    Tightens 'round your necks

We worry about burning flags
    And pee in jars at work
    To keep our jobs

But if someone came for you one night
    And dragged you away
    do you really think your neighbors
    Would even care....

Ollie for president, he'll get things done!!!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Our new Attorney General is going to catch heat (if he isn't already) for being Hispanic; his 'suitability' and his intelligence will also be questioned.
    He's going to catch heat from me for being in favor of torture.

I couldn't give a shit what color he is.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Okay, Condi gets a free pass with the race card. I can google a million cartoons that show unfair/ludicrous/stereotypical characterizations of many politicians, black or white.

By the way, did Asscroft post a Rush Limbaugh said Donovan McNabb is getting preferencial treatment by the media because he's black articles? No I didn't think so.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He's going to catch heat from me for being in favor of torture.

I couldn't give a shit what color he is.
    Actually he's in trouble with some Republican lawmakers because he favors Affirmative Action.

Are there any anti-racist, politically correct Republicans here that are so outraged by the treatment of minorities in this country that they support Affirmative Action? I didn't think so.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually, Mush managed to get away with that racist statement, because 2 days later it was totally buried by the revelation that he was an Oxycontin junkie.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't think his statement was racist...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As White House counsel, Gonzales is known to have done the following:

He drafted the original military commission order signed by President Bush on November 14, 2001, which would have allowed suspects apprehended in the global campaign against terrorism to be secretly charged, tried, and even executed without the most basic due process protections. This week a federal court halted military commissions because they violate the Geneva Conventions and fair-trial standards.

He provided the legal basis for President Bush’s decision on February 7, 2002, claiming that, as the president, he has the constitutional authority to deny protections of the Geneva Conventions to persons picked up during the war in Afghanistan. In his January 25, 2002 memorandum, Gonzales argued that the Geneva Conventions protections—including its “strict limitations on questioning enemy prisoners”—were rendered “obsolete” and “quaint” by the war on terror. Gonzales ignored the warnings of senior military officers that his position on the Geneva Conventions would undermine respect for law in the U.S. military.

He solicited the August 2002 torture memo from the Justice Department, which contended that the President has “commander-in-chief authority” to order torture and proposed potential legal defense for U.S. officials accused of torture. Gonzales has never publicly revealed his views about the memo.

First you have a god botherer who got defeated in an election by a dead guy, who refuses to dance or drink because it is against god.

You then replace him with a guy who works out ways to circumnavigate laws so that people can be tortured...

No wonder people are talking about moving to Canada, I'm getting worried about even visiting the US any more.

You gonna change your username to the torture guy JA?

Cheers!

Ford's Daddy
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ah, Sesh brings out the liberal talking points from the U.S.

At least you've been keeping up with the politics in the only country that matters anymore.

Oh, and BTW, are you sure you want to throw around "torture" allegations against the U.S.? Your "kingdom" certainly helped write the book on such practices. I don't believe we're ever gonna match your history in regards to torture practices.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ah, Sesh brings out the liberal talking points from the U.S.

At least you've been keeping up with the politics in the only country that matters anymore.
    Gee John, a lot of people seem to think we matter less and less. Notice how the value of a dollar is dropping like a rock lately?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hmmm...

Ford's Daddy
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Gee John, a lot of people seem to think we matter less and less. Notice how the value of a dollar is dropping like a rock lately?
    Please explain how you've drawn that conclusion.

Be sure to include just why the "weak" dollar is bad for the American economy.

Thread Information