Thread: Could Edward have made it big without Dave?

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Could Edward have made it big without Dave?

Fate is a fucked up thing and the more we try to manipulate it the more unpredictable the results.

But in all honesty, would Edward Van Halen have found the success he has enjoyed on guitar prowess alone?
    The singer debate has spawned all sorts of "What If" scenarios, but if you really look at Van Halens humble beginnings you cannot disagree that "humble" is the exact term that describes their climb to the top.

They opened for everyone under the sun before they became a headliner as admitted by Dave himself.
    It is a well known fact that Dave sold Van Halen and basically refused to be denied, but success was not instant for them, just read Crazy From The Heat and this you will find to be true, accoring to the Diamond one.
    Edward has admitted to not ever speaking his mind, he was the silent chub that was lifted to icon status from the chants of "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie" that i heard everytime i saw the original line-up.
    But that is where the question comes in.

Would he really have even been on that stage if it weren't for Dave?

I know a few guitarists personally that at the time could have given Ed a run for his money that are still working a day job and enjoying modest club success.
    I think that if it weren't for the bombastic attitude of DLR getting in our faces, Edward wouldn't have made it.
    Dave was the first thing i ever saw about Van Halen and if it wasn't for him i wouldn't have even listened to Van Halen I........

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed would have made it big without Dave, but he wouldn't have made it as big if it weren't for Dave.

DLR7884
    He'd probably be in KISS right now.
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's makes sense, but a part of me likens it to the tree falling in the woods question.
    If not for dave would anyone, even KISS, have known who he was or ever heard him in the first place?

Remember that it was with Dave that Edward even became known to Gene Simmons in that club.
    No dave, No club for Gene to check them out.

But that is where fate steps in. maybe they were all destined for success no matter the vehicle at the time.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think that Dave was a larger part of making Ed well known than vise-versa.

But it was still the combination of them that made it happen on the scale that it did.......
    Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    they needed each other to become big in the beginning...and now they need each other again to make it really BIG for one last time...no dave no ed no ed no dave...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sad but true, at this point i agree 100% with that statement.

Spammy won't do it for them, but i see it being good enough to make the cheese lovers buy product.

YankeeRose
    no.

"I once heard somebody say to the Van Halens..'you guys make the music..the Jew sells it!!' Well your goddamn right, and now that I'm gone, Van Halen sucks!" DLR - CFTH

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And he speaketh the truth...Nobody finds where you live if they don't have a map, lol.

Dave IS VH
    I agree, If Eddie got a new head singer, and start Van Halen 4, it would do bad, like Van Halen 3.
    A Van Hagar reunion would have some success, but not like a DLR reunion. Dave will never see the success like he once did, at less he reunites with VH.

So, I guess they both really do need each other.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unfortunately they are all getting really old. I think theres only one window of oppurtunity left. Seems like they are going to waste it on one of the replacement singers. That, is terribly fucked up.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yep...

If there was no Dave.. Ed would have become a drunken recluse twenty years earlier probably due to some bar band firing him or some local stripper leaving him...

S.P.G
    would roth have been as big if it wasn't for eddie? i doubt it! dave is grate, but without van halen now, his solo career has gone down the plug hole slowly, so without having eddie in the first place, this website wouldn't even be here!

chuckg34
    Originally posted by S.P.G
    would roth have been as big if it wasn't for eddie? i doubt it! dave is grate, but without van halen now, his solo career has gone down the plug hole slowly, so without having eddie in the first place, this website wouldn't even be here!
    It's a two way street. I don't think there could be one without the other. Creating the classic VH music was possible from the chemistry between all four members. It really could not have happened any other way.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For me VH was always Dave and Ed...without Dave they became an ordinary rock/metal whatever band with a class guitarist and not much diversity in their music. I think Dave was instrumental in getting them noticed just by being the extrovert. But Eds' playing was something else back then, so you've got to say they needed each other to make to make it work. Right place, right time.

dtuna
    Anything Dave and Ed do apart from each other pales in comparison to what they create together.

Having said that, of course Eddie would have been big without Dave. He truly was the greatest guitarist anyone had ever heard at that time. While it probably wouldn't have had the same monstrous power and influence that VH did, there's no way Eddie wouldn't have been successful with a different band.

Banned
    THE GRATEST™
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ..tell that to allan holdsworth etc

TMR
    NO!

Dave is the reason why Ed was noticed in the first place.

Dave would of made it period because of his inner drive!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Could Edward have made it big without Dave?

Originally posted by Cathedral
    Could Edward have made it big without Dave?
    I really don't think so.

The sheer force of Dave's talent and personality is what made VH happen in the first place. Without Dave, EVH would have wound up as just another 'local hero' guitarist with good chops, and Gene Simmons would never have even heard of him, much less tried to scam him for KISS.
    Last edited by Foozwah; 02-08-2004 at 05:22 PM.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He woulda been Boz Scaggs' lead guitar player....full on diabetic.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are some great replies in this thread...

Edwards problem with not speaking up in his early days would have held him back i'm afraid.
    Remember that he was a very shy kid and Dave used to have to tell him what to do. Hell, everybody told him what to do from his own admission...

That would have hurt his success.....

Big Bad Bill

Re: Could Edward have made it big without Dave?

Originally posted by Cathedral
    Fate is a fucked up thing and the more we try to manipulate it the more unpredictable the results.

But in all honesty, would Edward Van Halen have found the success he has enjoyed on guitar prowess alone?
    The singer debate has spawned all sorts of "What If" scenarios, but if you really look at Van Halens humble beginnings you cannot disagree that "humble" is the exact term that describes their climb to the top.

They opened for everyone under the sun before they became a headliner as admitted by Dave himself.
    It is a well known fact that Dave sold Van Halen and basically refused to be denied, but success was not instant for them, just read Crazy From The Heat and this you will find to be true, accoring to the Diamond one.
    Edward has admitted to not ever speaking his mind, he was the silent chub that was lifted to icon status from the chants of "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie" that i heard everytime i saw the original line-up.
    But that is where the question comes in.

Would he really have even been on that stage if it weren't for Dave?

I know a few guitarists personally that at the time could have given Ed a run for his money that are still working a day job and enjoying modest club success.
    I think that if it weren't for the bombastic attitude of DLR getting in our faces, Edward wouldn't have made it.
    Dave was the first thing i ever saw about Van Halen and if it wasn't for him i wouldn't have even listened to Van Halen I........

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Kind of difficult to speculate if Dave and Ed would have become as famous if they hadn't been in the same band.

Would be hard to imagine a talent like Ed's not being noticed, regardless of who was singing for Van Halen.

Would Roth have become a star if he had been fronting a band other than Van Halen from the beginning?

Sort of a pointless exercise. I suppose it depends on who a person thinks 'made' Van Halen, Roth or Eddie.

For me, it took the combination of Ed and Dave writing the tunes and the whole band performing them to make Van Halen a household name.

Maybe it can be answered by looking at record sales of solo Roth and Halen after Dave left. Long before grunge came along, both Van Hagar and Dave solo experienced a downturn in sales.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    he never ever would have made it w/o roth. I mean i guess it all depends on what you mean "made it" means. Do you consider Joe Satriani or Eric Johnson to have made it? I don't, if you were to ask random people on the streets who they were they wouldn't know. now ask them who evh or dlr is they will have at least heard of them. So I don't think ed would have been nearly as big and popular if not for roth.

and look how fast ed forgot about him
    We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

pardo
    I agree - it depends on what your definition of "made it" is. I think Edward would have been relatively successful without Dave, but not on the scale he was with Dave. Edward wrote great tunes - thats what separates him from the Vai's and Holdsworths.

I think Dave pushed him though - Dave brought his A game, which forced Ed to bring his A game.

Look up the definition of synergy. I don't mean to sound condecending. BTW, condecending means to talk down to people.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs down The Truth from a born loser

Could Van Halen have made it big without Dave? Yes

- Brett Norton ( Van Hagar Links)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    Most Idiotic comment of the Century AWARD

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    dave made the name VAN HALEN...he gave the band the fucking name of the lying dutchmen...otherwise ed would now be "the talented guitar player" from the once famous band "so-and-so" david lee roth was the singer then

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No Dave - No Ed........at least not as big
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Thread Information