• Show
Clear All
  • tomballin
    Commando
    • Dec 2004

Terry Schiavo Continuation Thread

High Court Rejects New Schiavo Request
    ABC News - Midnight

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. Mar 30, 2005 — The U.S. Supreme Court refused to intervene in the Terri Schiavo case for the sixth time late Wednesday, taking less than two hours to reject her parents' request that the feeding tube for their brain-damaged daughter be reinserted.

The one-sentence ruling came hours after the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals resoundingly declined to intervene in the case. Justices did not explain their decision and there was no indication how they voted.

The Supreme Court's decision, on Schiavo's 13th day without food or water, was the latest in a string of losses in state and federal courts for her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, and the second time in a week the high court rejected the parents' claims.

Full Article
    -------------
  • tomballin
    Commando
    • Dec 2004

President Bush Today at Lunch
    March 30, 2005

"Anyone else hungry, I sure am. Feels like I haven't eaten in weeks"

Comment

• Jesterstar
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

That Bush has Balls
      Seshmeister is such a STUD.........OOOOOOOOOO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...cnesbitt_1.jpg

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I hear she's on the way out, close to death that is.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

She's dead! CNN now reporting.

Comment

• vanzilla
            Veteran
            • Jul 2004

Nikk - is this on the air? I'm not seeing it on their homepage and I'm not around a tv?
            Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Comment

• vanzilla
              Veteran
              • Jul 2004

Fox news homepage reporting it. Thanks for the heads up!
              Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Comment

• vanzilla
                Veteran
                • Jul 2004

Terri Schiavo has died
                Thursday, March 31, 2005 Posted: 10:07 AM EST (1507 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Terri Schiavo, the 41-year-old brain-damaged woman who became the centerpiece of a national right-to-die battle, died Thursday morning, nearly two weeks after doctors removed the feeding tube that had sustained her for more than a decade.

Brother Paul O'Donnell, a spokesman for Bob and Mary Schindler, Schiavo's parents, said the couple was with their daughter's body and praying.

Wednesday, the Schindlers lost what their lawyer described as their "last meaningful legal appeal" in their desperate battle to have their brain-damaged daughter's feeding tube reinserted.

The U.S. Supreme Court late Wednesday refused once again to hear an emergency appeal from the Schindlers.

Their lawyer, David Gibbs, heard the high court had rejected the appeal during a news conference outside the Pinellas Park, Florida, hospice where Schiavo was receiving care.

"It appears that that will be the last meaningful legal appeal unless something comes up," Gibbs had said. "Fundamentally, the decision of the Florida courts will remain unchanged and the federal courts have declined to get involved."

Thursday morning, O' Donnell said that Schiavo was in her final hours of life, and police have prohibited her blood relatives from spending time with her.

O'Donnell, one of the family's spiritual advisers, said that her parents and siblings were "begging to be at her bedside...but are being denied."

Michael Schiavo was Terri's guardian and controlled who may visit her and when.

Pasco-Pinellas Circuit Judge George Greer in Clearwater, Florida, ordered the feeding tube removed March 18 at Michael Schiavo's request. He has said that his wife wouldn't have wanted to live in her condition -- what Florida courts have deemed a "persistent vegetative state."

The parents felt otherwise and had sought to take guardianship of their daughter from her husband. Their bitter court battles began in 1998.

"I don't understand why Michael Schiavo at some point didn't walk away," Gibbs said.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, who has jurisdiction over Florida, Georgia and Alabama, and could have ruled on the petition on his own, referred the appeal to the entire Supreme Court at 10:40 p.m. Wednesday.

There was no breakdown of the vote, and the high court issued no explanation for its decision. The petition had been filed earlier in the night.

It was the second time in a week the high court refused to hear the case, and the sixth time since 2001.

The Schindlers "can know they have done everything possible under the law in letting government know that they wanted to fight for the life of their daughter," Gibbs said.

In his Supreme Court filing, Gibbs and other lawyers for the parents wrote that removing the tube represented "an unconstitutional deprivation of Terri Schiavo's constitutional right to life."

The Supreme Court's rejection came hours after the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Georgia, rejected the parents' petition 9-2. That court denied three similar requests from the parents last week.

In a concurring opinion of the Atlanta court's latest ruling, Judge Stanley Birch said Congress "chose to overstep constitutional boundaries" by passing a law to force the Schiavo case into federal courts.

Judges Gerald Tjoflat and Charles Wilson dissented, with Tjoflat writing that the Schindlers deserved a hearing on the merits of their argument.

On March 21, three days after Schiavo's feeding tube was removed, Congress passed a bill transferring jurisdiction of the case from Florida state court to a U.S. District Court, for a federal judge to review. President Bush signed it into law the next day. But federal courts refused to overturn the state courts' decision.

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by vanzilla
                  Terri Schiavo has died
                  Thursday, March 31, 2005 Posted: 10:07 AM EST (1507 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Terri Schiavo, .
                  All you keyboard commandos I beat your sick voyeristic consent.

Check da post time.

Lock dis thread and go t2o my reality thread.

It's t2oo late.

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• tomballin
                    Commando
                    • Dec 2004

Typical, I turn on the TV to check out the Schiavo passing news and President Dumbass is holding a press conference on revamping intelligence that is on all major news channels. How convenient.

Comment

• academic punk
                      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Well, I support that. I'd rather have had him focusing on national security all along, in the first place.

Comment

• academic punk
                        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Poor woman. She's probably looking down right now and wondering why everyone she loved in her life have spent all these years (and all the rest of thier lives) in all these power struggles.

Comment

• tomballin
                          Commando
                          • Dec 2004

What, and control our Mexican borders, ....never, it "just wouldn't be white"

Comment

• academic punk
                            Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by tomballin
                            What, and control our Mexican borders, ....never, it "just wouldn't be white"
                            valid.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Honestly her death is a serious injustice. The more I've read about it. The more I've seen. There was no reason to deny the parents access to her. There was no reason to deny water or food. The attention to this case is part of a evil agenda. I'm really upset about this now at this point. Because now it opens a door for much more brital death for many that may not be brain dead.
                              Seshmeister is such a STUD.........OOOOOOOOOO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...cnesbitt_1.jpg

Comment

Working...