Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else seen "The Passion Of The Christ" yet?

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Anyone else seen "The Passion Of The Christ" yet?

I went and saw this movie last night, and I gotta say, it is the most graphic, brutal film I've ever sit through, by far. Just about the whole movie was hard to watch, but there were a couple of scenes that were especially hard to watch. The part where they're whipping him with that weapon that had all that sharp stuff on it, which tore out hunks of flesh, and the part where they're nailing him to the cross. Watching him struggle to carry the cross whilst being whipped relentlessly the whole way was difficult, also. Overall, I thought it was a very good film that was very well done...the acting is top notch. The guy that played Jesus did a superb job,and he should get Oscars for best actor and best performance, IMO. After the movie was over, everyone just sat there in a daze staring at the screen when the lights came on...some were crying on the way out, and others were walking around in a zombie-like trance state with a dazed look on their faces. The violence and sheer brutality in this film is very shocking, and this is one movie that you sure as hell don't want to take small children to...it will traumatize them.
    Last edited by Little Texan; 03-02-2004 at 03:45 PM.

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Red face Not yet

I'm waiting for the church crowd rush to subside before I go to see it. Local churches here in the Atlanta metro area have bought up all of the seats in blocks! Some are even renting entire theatres to see this flick! Maybe next week I'll check it out.
    "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
    Blackflag on DLR

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Anyone else seen "The Passion Of The Christ" yet?

Originally posted by Little Texan
    I went and saw this movie last night, and I gotta say, it is the most graphic, brutal film I've ever sit through, by far. Just about the whole movie was hard to watch, but there were a couple of scenes that were especially hard to watch. The part where they're whipping him with that weapon that had all that sharp stuff on it, which tore out hunks of flesh, and the part where they're nailing him to the cross.
    I saw it. I already knew the ending, though.

Seriously, the Romans were bastards. Historical accounts state this is how they actually flogged and scourged their victims, and not just Christ. Not quite the neat and tidy portrayal one reads in the Bible, is it?
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Army's Fantasy NBA Champ
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I saw it. I think the book was better.
    sheepa lotta peepa dahba looka fo uh moopy

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did anyone ever see that film "The last Temptation of Christ" (I think thats what it was called. There was a scene in there where Jesus takes a dump in a frypan and Mary eats it. (Or something like that !!)

Bizzarro !
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I love fairy tales.

If you want to see a brutal movie, rent "Irrevesible." It came out in France (i think) in 2002 and was released in the States in 2003.

A good movie with some brutally honest scenes. Not for the faint of heart.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Im waiting for the video game to come out on the PS2. Kidding.
    Actualy the sequel will be awesome...again. Kidding.

Seriously though was the Passion of Christ sub-titled? someone told me it was, and that was my only turn off. I dont need to hear them speak. But I hate reading and watching a movie at the same time.
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

DLRSLAVE
    I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and it's stupid remarks as these that makes me keep my reactions/comments to myself or PM
    someone who has an intelligent comment on this subject.

Army's Fantasy NBA Champ
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLRSLAVE
    I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and it's stupid remarks as these that makes me keep my reactions/comments to myself or PM
    someone who has an intelligent comment on this subject.
    DLRSLAVE, I'm not url dropping, just providing an alternative that may have contained some of the discussion you might have been looking for on this.

Here

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Big Troubles

Seriously though was the Passion of Christ sub-titled? someone told me it was, and that was my only turn off. I dont need to hear them speak. But I hate reading and watching a movie at the same time.
    It is, bud there really isnt that much of it, not as much as one might expect.....
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Cool good to know. Looks like the DLRSlave didn't like my comment. Oh well. Not everyone has a sense of humour. Then again, Ive learned not everyone has a real purpose either. LOL

Thanks Bug, your cool dude!

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thanks Bug, your cool dude!
    I know Hitch would agree with that statement.......:p

DLRSLAVE
    OMG...WHATEVER

DLRSLAVE
    Yes BT it is subtitle if you can read it's not to hard to follow. And if
    you can't the Passion of the movie is overwhelming enough for anyone
    to understand. (humorous enough for you LOL)

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    actualy yes. LOL That was pretty good.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    now sit boy...gooooood boy...roll over.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was wondering about the subtitles because i planned on fucking your girlfriend, and Id figure she'd be boring so this way I DO have something to read.

see. Thats humorous.

DLRSLAVE
    Wrong again Big Guy/BT no girlfriend just one big ass mo fo
    ass kickin take names later husband xoxo

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LMAO!

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Please to meet you...all over again!

DLRSLAVE
    Good enough for a vote ? Very nice to meet you too.
    Very interesting meetinng new people isn't it.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thank you

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    anyway, getting back to the point of this thread...

Say it yesterday and boy, that movie seemed to fly. The thing I was suprised at was that the only part of the movie where I flinched was when they were whipping him and the bones on the end got caught in his skin and they ripped it. The nails, the blood, everything else - I was cool with. The scenes that killed me and had my crying like a lil baby were the Mary ones. When they did the part where he's on the cross talking to her and before when he falls and she has the flashback to when he was a baby...I had to reach up and wipe the tears away.

The baby part with Satan I didn't get. I've read that it's suppose to represent the anti-christ, but i'm not too sure about that.

But all in all, it's a great movie! When we went to go see it, a 5th grade class from a Catholic school was coming out. Man, we never got to go on field trips like this!
    Roth Army Militia

Army's Fantasy NBA Champ
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No, it's not supposed to be anti christ. I read that too. Mel said in an interview it was just a way to represent something from gods hands that is natural and beautiful (Mother/son relationship) being taken up by satan and made twisted and ugly. You have the contrast made by Jesus and Mary and within the same scene, satan and the ugly ass little hairy 40 yr old baby thing. Nasty. Anyways, I found myself looking for an explanation about that too, but it turns out there isn't much behind it.

Because I can, dammit!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Im waiting for the video game to come out on the PS2. Kidding.
    Actualy the sequel will be awesome...again. Kidding.

Yah...see? That's my only drawback too. If I wanted to read, I would get the book. But....I am going to see it anyways. It will be interesting.

I try like hell to keep things all fluffy bunnies and pink daisies. But brutal truth smacks me in the ass all the time.
    ~Susie Q 2009

chuckg34
    I saw the movie and I liked it. Yeah, it was graphic, but it served its purpose: to emphasize the suffering of Jesus. Churches go on and on about how Christ "suffered" for us, but there was not much emphasis on how he suffered. This movie truly shows us what Christ went through. All over the place, you'll see the symbol of Christ (the holy cross) all over the place.. but this movie shows that the crucifixion was not some beautiful thing. It was ugly and it hurt him really bad.

But I kind of think that the movie was a bit dramatized and exaggerated. I mean, come on... *if* it was the case that Christ was beaten that bad, he would have died long before he made it to the cross. And historically, i thought he was whipped 39 times.. but in this movie, he had to be whipped about 1000 times.

All in all, though.. it is worth seeing.

Because I can, dammit!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I saw the movie this afternoon. Honestly, it was half a story for me. Yes, we all knew the ending. But, we needed to know HOW he ended up on the cross. It was brutal to see this man so tortured. What I was more involved in was the relationship between him and Mary. His earthly mother. I felt that connection cause I am so close to my own son. How I would feel as his mother. I didn't come back from the movie a changed person. But, it made me know that my relationship with my kids are far more spiritual than I thought. My kids are my soulmates.

Army's Fantasy NBA Champ
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by chuckg34
    IBut I kind of think that the movie was a bit dramatized and exaggerated. I mean, come on... *if* it was the case that Christ was beaten that bad, he would have died long before he made it to the cross. And historically, i thought he was whipped 39 times.. but in this movie, he had to be whipped about 1000 times.
    Where did you hear that was a historical conclusion about the 39 times thing? I've never come across reference of that at all.

Historically, I think it was pretty accurate. I think there may have been a little more intensity put in to the lashing part, as a more catholic twinge to it, but Pilate was doing the lashings in hopes that it would be a replacement to crucifixion rather that in addition to it. The Pharacees pushed for it afterwards. Pilate was in a tough spot. Crucifixions normally didn't proceed lashings like that. You could say his payment was "double dipped". In that respect, it was historically accurate.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pilate caved into political pressure. The Demoncrats of today would have loved this guy. Hell, if he came back today, he could be Kerry's running mate.

What's that? You gave the order to crucify Jesus Christ?? Oh, that's alright. He was a terrorist, after all.....
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Quote Originally Posted by Sockfucker View Post
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's Up With the Ugly Baby?
    Everyone's asking about the Passion scene where Satan is carrying a hideous infant.

by Mark Moring | posted 03/01/04

"Please explain the symbolism in the scene showing Satan holding a bald baby. Thank you."

That's just one of dozens of e-mails we've received in the last few days, asking about a surreal scene in The Passion of The Christ where Satan is shown cradling a hideous baby who looks like he's about 40 years old.

The scene occurs during the flogging of Christ. Satan is passing through a crowd of onlookers, cradling an infant in his arms. The baby turns to face the camera, revealing a sinister infant, creeping out audiences everywhere.

We took your questions straight to the source, e-mailing Mel Gibson's publicist for an answer.

When asked why he portrayed Satan—an androgynous, almost beautiful being played by Rosalinda Celentano—the way he did, Gibson replied: "I believe the Devil is real, but I don't believe he shows up too often with horns and smoke and a forked tail. The devil is smarter than that. Evil is alluring, attractive. It looks almost normal, almost good—but not quite.

"That's what I tried to do with the Devil in the film. The actor's face is symmetric, beautiful in a certain sense, but not completely. For example, we shaved her eyebrows. Then we shot her almost in slow motion so you don't see her blink—that's not normal. We dubbed in a man's voice in Gethsemane even though the actor is a woman … That's what evil is about, taking something that's good and twisting it a little bit."

But what about the ugly baby?

"Again," said Gibson, "it's evil distorting what's good. What is more tender and beautiful than a mother and a child? So the Devil takes that and distorts it just a little bit. Instead of a normal mother and child you have an androgynous figure holding a 40-year-old 'baby' with hair on his back. It is weird, it is shocking, it's almost too much—just like turning Jesus over to continue scourging him on his chest is shocking and almost too much, which is the exact moment when this appearance of the Devil and the baby takes place."

Let the Glory be to god.
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OH man TPOTC was the bomb! movie of the century by far. unless of course our boy dave would care to act in a movie, which undoubtedly would be so kewl and make billions of dollars in the box office opening weekend.
    Do you love me peter? Yes of course my lord. Then feed my sheep.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I liked it, thought it was pretty well done for being a work of fiction.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lol

Let the Glory be to god.
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    bueno bob since when is the bible fiction? I hope the lol meant you were KIDDING.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Little_Skittles
    bueno bob since when is the bible fiction? I hope the lol meant you were KIDDING.
    oh, jeez

another one.

Yes snookums, it all really happened
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OH man TPOTC was the bomb! movie of the century by far. unless of course our boy dave would care to act in a movie, which undoubtedly would be so kewl and make billions of dollars in the box office opening weekend.
    surreal.

This is an act, right?

the bomb?

kewl?

billions?

Where's Allen Funt?

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but not everyone believes in Jesus, not everyone believes in God, not everyone believes in any diety of any form.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by bueno bob
    I liked it, thought it was pretty well done for being a work of fiction.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I saw it the day it opened. Very good. Gibson is a talented director.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Blech, Blargh, Patooey.

Funded out of his own pocket my ass.

Don't get me wrong, Gibson's celebrity will garner some hype.....this thing garnered hype worthy of Orson Welles reanimated.

I think Mel Gibson is a talented actor.

That's it.

This fucking thing was designed from the get-go to make huge bank.

Some high-powered kermudgin probably had readings for the directorial role....

Pre-conceived cuntroversy...period.

Thread Information