Dodge unveiling concept car based on 1970 Challenger!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Dodge unveiling concept car based on 1970 Challenger!

Dodge Challenger concept: 1970 all over
    Classic muscle car look, with lines smoothed and gaps filled, is brought back with two-door concept.

January 4, 2006; Posted: 11:04 a.m. EST (1604 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - With an appearance that draws heavily from the classic muscle cars of the late 1960s and early '70s, the Dodge Challenger, premiering in concept car form at next week's Detroit Auto Show, should satisfy those who thought the 4-door Dodge Charger just didn't have the right stuff.

This time around, the number of doors stays true to the original spirit. Just two.

"The people who were complaining about the Charger, if they complain about the Challenger there's something wrong with them," said David Zatz who runs the Web site Allpar.com, a site about Chrysler Group products.

The Dodge Charger was ripped by some because it was a four-door sedan, a nod to practicality seen as out-of-place in a car that carried the name of one of the most famous muscle car lines. As soon as images of the Charger were released to the public, letters of complaint started coming into DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler Group headquarters in Detroit.

In June 2005, a report in the industry newspaper Automotive News said that Chrysler was working on a two-door car, to be called the Challenger, based on the same engineering underpinnings, called the LX platform, as the Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300.

The Challenger concept is based, specifically, on the 1970 Dodge Challenger.

"During development of the concept car we brought an actual 1970 Challenger into the studio," exterior designer Michael Castiglione said in a company announcement. "For me, that car symbolizes the most passionate era of automotive design."

Designers wanted to evoke a mind's-eye image of the car without the visual imperfections required by manufacturing technology of the time, said Tom Trement, Chrysler Group's vice president for advanced vehicle design.

Look for coverage of the 2006 Detroit Auto Show starting Sunday, Jan. 8 at CNN.com.
  • bastardog
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

If they really put on sales that car in the photo I will have to forget all my loyalty waiting for a Chevrolet vintage Chevelle and run to a dealer to by a Dodge for the first time in my family...
    Bastardog

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

I hate the wheels...that is not some kinda fucking pimpmobile.....it needs some slot mags or Cragars or something....

Comment

• bastardog
        Commando
        • Feb 2004

I think Cragars looks too old for me. I like the ones in the picture but something with a more classic look like the American Racing Torq Thrust II but the same size 20" or bigger will surely looks better.
        Bastardog

Comment

• WACF
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

A real beauty!!!!

I agree on the wheels...they look like shit.
          It needs more rubber...I hate those oversized rims.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Me too.

Comment

• WACF
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Funny thing is kids seem to like 'em...same goes with those coffee can exhaust pipes.

I gotta laugh when a sunfire goes by with a huge pipe that fits so shitty it is angled down.
              Thing is punks think it actually adds performance...does not even cross their minds that the manifold and Y-pipe restrict the exhaust.

Plus they sound like shit. Why would you want to sound like a souped up dishwasher? Nothing sounds better than a V8 with hedders(slept the Hedman way) and true dual pipes.

Comment

• bastardog
                Commando
                • Feb 2004

I'm with you regarding the exhaust. You can't make power witha just a pipe.
                But ovesized rims are the true touch to a car looks.
                Lets big rubber with Big Foot....
                Lets see if I could find a pic of a true old muscle with big rims for you to see...
                Bastardog

Comment

• bastardog
                  Commando
                  • Feb 2004

Here some Chevy iron with class...
                  Bastardog

Comment

• bastardog
                    Commando
                    • Feb 2004

another one
                    Bastardog

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

i'd have thought cathedral would be all over this like white on rice!

anyhoo, check out some of our beautiful holden concept carshere.

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

yeehaaa!

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Verily, if they releaseth this car, I might have to talk to Dad about speeding up the timetable on this "Second Coming" thing.

The return of the Messiah coincides with the return of a classic car. What could be better?

Comment

• Coyote
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                            yeehaaa!
                            Godfather-car for the new millenium...
                            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• ashstralia
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                              Godfather-car for the new millenium...
                              yeah! in 'soprano purple' eheheh

us aussies, we gots a sense 'o' humour!

Comment

Working...