• Bill Lumbergh
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Roger Waters or David Gilmour?

Discuss.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Syd Barrett created Pink Floyd. When he burnt himself out, Waters took over as the band's creative genius.

Gilmour was an excellent replacement for Syd as guitarist, but he did NOT assume the role of band leader, and he should have never assumed that he had, even after the band broke up in 1983.

The only reason Gilmour and Mason sued to use the name "Pink Floyd" is because the album they released under their own names completely tanked.

Pink Floyd appeared on stage last year after a 25 year absence from the stage, and the chemistry was still so obviously there. It would be a damn shame if they didn't do anything with it.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

I only brought this up because a couple of friends of mine diss Waters(it came up becasue I'm going to see him in October), and act like Gilmour was the "musical genius" behind Floyd. That seems to be the sentiment all over the web, too. While Gilmour's guitar playing and singing was a HUGE part of their success, without Roger pushing it along at every turn(and writing the majority of the songs), they would have remained a cult band.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD

Pink Floyd appeared on stage last year after a 25 year absence from the stage, and the chemistry was still so obviously there. It would be a damn shame if they didn't do anything with it.
        They wont, and we have Gilmour to thank for that.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Why is it always the guitar player who fucks it up?
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Syd's band..yes, but Roger was more than willing to feed Syd's mind and watch him implode.

Roger ruled the band by his introspective lyrics and Gilmore assisted with numbing guitar playing. As a band they were untouchable. As solo artists they come off as incomplete and struggling.

In the same manner that the Police can't harness what they had Pink Floyd falls a victim of its own success.

Damn, you know that there's a song in there!

If either one were coming close I'd go, but so far neither one are getting to Florida. I've heard that Roger is doing DSOTM while David is showcasing his saxaphone abilities with his "Meddle" collides with "DSOTM" latest release.
            http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
            http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Oct 2004

I like them both about the same.

I actually think "Division Bell" and "...Lapse of Reason" are underrated albums, not Pink Floyd great, but good.

I also think "Amused to Death" is an underrated album, although I find Waters' vocals a bit annoying on that.
              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

Working...