X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
    And which creation story are you going to teach the students? Just the one dealing with the Abrahamic religions? There are more creation stories than that. This is why I believe the Theory of Evolution should stay in Science class and why we should have a separate Religions of the World class -- especially with today's world climate. Let the kids get an academic understanding of religions and I bet it'll help them a whole hell of a lot in History class AND understanding the news.

But the students need to learn that many scientists, including Darwin, wrote theories and revelations with Providence in mind. That included with the classical theory was the thought that nature and a higher power were influencing organisms, which is why most Abrahamic religions can accept the classical theory because they view it very similarly to the creational story. It's the wacky, strict Protestant denominations who insist that 6 days and 6,000 years are actual 6 days and 6,000 years as humans know it and not as a divine entity might know it that ruin it for the rest of us sane religion peeps.
    Thanks for that post, it was really interesting. I'd like to see an educational programme thant is very philosophical and looks at the issue in depth from as many angles as possible.

If nothing else, it'd show kids that life isn't black and white, and that there is a limit to what we can know.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Soul Reaper
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2005

It's funny how Christian sects don't believe in the 'impossiblity' of evolution, but believe a woman gave birth to a baby without ever having sex....

but anyway, that's another subject....

yes, we should be able to choose what we want to believe....education should be more open minded....this leads to a thinking and philosophical society and not a dogmatic and persecuting society.....

I hate it how they tell us that God must exist because of miracles....things like how (about three people) people got 'healed' at Lourdes, so therefore it must be holy....what about the millions of people who go to Lourdes and don't get 'healed'? so God let's some people die but let's others live? supposedly, according to the Bible, he cares for ALL of us....

Religion should have no place in politics, science and philosophy....

I like Jesus, not Chrisitanity.....
      ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Soul Reaper

I like Jesus, not Chrisitanity.....
        Good point, there is a big difference between individual belief and organised religion....

Comment

• Soul Reaper
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by binnie
          Good point, there is a big difference between individual belief and organised religion....
          if Jesus ever came again...that's IF he comes again....I bet Christianity will be the ones who'll crucify him....

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

My problem is not with people who are sensible and have a certain set of religious beliefs....

It is the idiots whose beliefs interfere with their ability to function in the real world as a sensible human being.

It is bad enough when people have some belief in the second coming of Santa Clause (hey it is just as likely as the resurrection and return of a pile of dusty bones in the Middle East), but when you start claiming that the Earth is less than 6,000 years old, or that the end of the world is going to come on (insert date here), and forcing your kids to believe it as well, that is where I draaw the line.

I read in the paper about 10 years ago about some idiot preacher in South Korea who convinced all of his followers to sell their houses and all their worldy goods so they could go wait with him on a remote mountaintop in Korea for the end of the world and Second Coming on a certain date back then.

When the Second Coming did not happen, he was forced to publicly apologize to everyone whose lives he had ruined, and of course he became the laughingstock of Planet Earth.

The early Christians in the First Century A.D. thought Jesus was going to return again back THEN, but of course it never happened, and their bones are still waiting.

The bones of Jesus are still waiting also.

I suppose it is ok for these people to be idiots...I mean out of the human race there is always a set percentage of stupid people.

It just that I am bothered by the negative effect it has on the people around them. They did not ask to have a moron for a relative....but they have to suffer for it nonetheless.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

The problem is not relgion per se, it's fundamentalism.

They deny the evolution of their own faith, it's ability to react to new climates and challenges, as well as denying evolutionary theory.

Comment

• Satan
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by stringfelowhawk

I once had a pastor with a Theology degree tell me I was going to hell because I liked to read Stephen King books.
                True enough. And we have all of them in Hell's library!
                Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                  Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                  I feel bad that you guys have had such crappy experiences. There are assholes apart of everything and it's a shame you guys haven't had much experience with the good people that are apart of it.

Just remember that to all religions there are two sides -- the human and the divine. The human can get corrupted but what the message is suppose to be is normally steadfast. And if any Christian tells you that you will go to Hell because of something, just remind them that their faith has it laid out that no man is above the diety they have chosen and that only that diety can make the choice of who goes where. They can not believe in something or not favor something, but to tell someone flat out that they'll go to Hell is wrong.
                  See Ally, if all religious thought was like that, there wouldn't be such division. Good post.
                  Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I really only have a problem with religion and religious people when it interferes with common sense and they try to tell me what I should do with my life.

I have really had it with the new, G.W. Bush-led, anti-science attitude. This whole idea that science is bad because it proves that religious doctrine is fake...well, not fake....just not factual....makes me mad.

The same way science can determine that matter is made up of atoms and elements- It can prove the past. So for religion to just try and shove that aside because it doesn't mesh with their teachings, just drives me up the wall.

Hey, if YOU want to believe that we were created by a guy up in the sky...go ahead. But don't tell me that I am going to hell for accepting that we evolved from apes.
                    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2005

The problem is not relgion per se, it's fundamentalism.

They deny the evolution of their own faith, it's ability to react to new climates and challenges, as well as denying evolutionary theory.
                      that's why we have so much trouble with the Muslim community....because they believe the Koran is the literal truth and are very passionate about that......

but you get that in every religion....it just seems more visible in the Muslim community....

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

that's why we have so much trouble with the Muslim community....because they believe the Koran is the literal truth and are very passionate about that......

but you get that in every religion....it just seems more visible in the Muslim community....
                        True, but there are also plenty of fundamentalist Christians equally as belligerent (if not resorting to terrorism), and intollerent.

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2005

True, but there are also plenty of fundamentalist Christians equally as belligerent (if not resorting to terrorism), and intollerent.
                          but teaching (or brainwashing) kids that their religion is the literal truth without any thorough evidence is just as wrong (ok, maybe not as wrong as blowing someone up, but it's still wrong)....

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

but teaching (or brainwashing) kids that their religion is the literal truth without any thorough evidence is just as wrong (ok, maybe not as wrong as blowing someone up, but it's still wrong)....
                            True, couldn't agree more. I am of the opinion expressed earlier in the thread that all such theories should be taught side by side in a very philosophical way in order that people make up their own mind.

At univeristy, I was surrounded by fundamentalist Christians, and they are very intollerent people. The best type of relgious person are the ones who want to benefit people: that is when it becomes a force for good, not restriction.

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2005

True, couldn't agree more. I am of the opinion expressed earlier in the thread that all such theories should be taught side by side in a very philosophical way in order that people make up their own mind.

At univeristy, I was surrounded by fundamentalist Christians, and they are very intollerent people. The best type of relgious person are the ones who want to benefit people: that is when it becomes a force for good, not restriction.
                              another problem I have with Chrisitanity is when they state that non-Christians will go to 'hell'.....

they also say that we will all be judged by God.....

they also say that God is a perfect being....

but if God sends other religions to hell, just because they're not Christian, then he can't be perfect.....he must be a favoritist or an elitist....and that must be a flaw....

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

another problem I have with Chrisitanity is when they state that non-Christians will go to 'hell'.....

they also say that we will all be judged by God.....

they also say that God is a perfect being....

but if God sends other religions to hell, just because they're not Christian, then he can't be perfect.....he must be a favoritist or an elitist....and that must be a flaw....
                                Again, that would be the fundamentalists; their are lot of Christian groups who have thoughts about how other religions can be saved.

To Christians God is a perfect being: even if he was favortist or elitiest to them that wouldn't be a floor. If you believe that God is a higher being more intelligent than our humble human understanding, then we cannot expect him to conform to our understanding of what is good and bad, right and wrong.

That is what Faith is: trusting that whatever happens, however it appears to us, God is doing it for our good and loves us.

Now, I have no faith, but I find religion very interesting.

I reiterate that I have no problemwith Christianity or any other relgion, the problem I have is with fundamentalism.

Comment

Working...