• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mezro
    Full Member Status

• May 2004

DLR's hair loss ruined Skyscraper

Look at all the people here tonight to ponder this little drippy nugget:

How do you go from the brilliant punchy skull fuck of Eat Em to the slick commercial stagnation of Skyscraper? Simple: Hair Loss + Insecurity = paranoid Napoleonic Complex.

Now, the songs are not the problem; there is some great stuff on there but DLR's heavy production is.

So it probably started at the end of the EEAS tour when he pulled out that crappy rug/hair piece/Shatner hat/whatever the fuck, off his head and realized that the forest was not coming back.

In a tearful moment of lost youth he threw the hair helmet across the room, slammed his fist down and vowed that the world would take him seriously as an artist. He would no longer hide his thinning locks or be burdened by an image. After crying some more he combed his hair forward (like a good Roman soldier would), tied on a bandanna and headed off the The Rainbow.

Thus, Napoleon Dave was born. He was going to bully, kick and micro manage every aspect of his career including the Skyscraper sessions. He would iron fist his entire universe in an effort to over compensate for his hair.

Nobody would/could stop him. By the time the record was done the music was tighter that a rhino sphincter. Each track was strangely layered (like his hair) to conceal what was truly hidden underneath. Raw power coated with a plastic sheen. Every aspect of his life started to become synthetic. I'm sure he was even banging groupies with the bandanna on and probably went ape shit if they ran their fingers through his weakened nest.

Rock climbing music video, giant boxing rings, rocket powered surf boards. Was it all great? Sure! But his goal was to hammer it home that he was still the mighty DLR; hair be damned!

Mark my words: had Dave not excessively thinned, the Skyscraper album would have been fat. It may have even been better than EEAS but fate (and shitty genetics) had a different idea.

We are all Dave fans but ask yourself what if..what if Dave didn't have a bald spot that you could see from the top of a Skyscraper. Psychologically, he would be an entirely different person.

Mezro....who is busy kicking Billy Sheehan out of my band
    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Dude. You suck.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• flappo
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

..i agree

..wot a fucking dickhead

Comment

• Mezro
        Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
        Dude. You suck.
        Wow..I suck because I'm a huge Dave fan and I talk about a topic that most shy away from.

It must have been hell for a guy who's image was everything to lose his hair and I really think it fucked up his head (and the recording of Skyscraper).

Should I start posting "safe" topics to fit in?

Mezro...who will never tone it down.

Comment

• NathanRay
          Head Fluffer
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mezro
          Wow..I suck because I'm a huge Dave fan and I talk about a topic that most shy away from.

It must have been hell for a guy who's image was everything to lose his hair and I really think it fucked up his head (and the recording of Skyscraper).

Should I start posting "safe" topics to fit in?

Mezro...who will never tone it down.
          Dude You're out your wig.
          "It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."
          Roth Keeps it REEEEAL

Originally posted by Antman
          Fuck Alex Van Halen. That mongoloid Mr. Spock looking mother fucker.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

The Skyscraper videos were the first time I noticed Dave's hair loss. I felt bad for him, worried it might hurt his image / edge. And in some ways it did...However, it never fucked with the creativity.

Skyscraper was just Dave's hand at something new. It does have some really great moments. Dave's the best frontman to ever grace a stage. But even the best needs inspiration. And inspiration comes from other players on the team, not one's physical features.

Dave's just not had a great team backing him in quite some time.
            I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• Mezro
              Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by flappo
              ..i agree

..wot a fucking dickhead
              Ass flap: Read my reply to Panamark.

You write some really funny shit here on the forum and I thought you would appreciate something different.

You know what a dickhead is? Someone who follows the group without without trying to be different. I'm no sheep and I stand by my thoughts.

So, you and I can agree to disagree, bury the hatchet and hopefully be friends or I can kick your balls in on a daily basis. "Wot" is it going to be?

Mezro...guess I'm a "fakkin kant!"

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Not his best, but I'm a big fan of Skyscraper. The main reason for it's pop reputation is "Just Like Paradise", but there are some amazing songs on the album.

Comment

• Mezro
                  Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by NathanRay
                  Dude You're out your wig.
                  Maybe..but at least my post inspired you to write.

Dave rules the planet but I stand by my thoughts.

Mezro...talk about Perfect Timing!

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

Best songs on Skyscraper are:

Knucklebones
                    Damn Good
                    Hina

Comment

• Mezro
                      Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
                      The Skyscraper videos were the first time I noticed Dave's hair loss. I felt bad for him, worried it might hurt his image / edge. And in some ways it did...However, it never fucked with the creativity.

Skyscraper was just Dave's hand at something new. It does have some really great moments. Dave's the best frontman to ever grace a stage. But even the best needs inspiration. And inspiration comes from other players on the team, not one's physical features.

Dave's just not had a great team backing him in quite some time.
                      ALMOST,

I felt really bad for Dave too but if we can't laugh at our hero, who the fuck can we laugh at?

Hair or no hair he still kicks ass no matter what his current follicle count. I just wish he would have had the balls to shave it instead of the endless cover up. I think it would have taken a huge weight off his shoulders.

Dave had the same team on Skyscraper as he did on EEAS so what happened? I fully believe my hair theory.

Mezro...guess I'm exceeding the 2 Fools quota today;-)

Comment

• Big Troubles
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Feb 2004

Hair loss didn't ruin Skyscraper. Stand Up did. And the over usage of synthesizers.
                        "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2004

Mezro, I didn't say Skyscraper was a bad album. I said he covered new ground on it.

I've also never had a problem being able to poke fun at someone whom I've supported for over 23 years. That includes Ed, Al and Mike along WITH Dave and Sammy.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                            Veteran
                            • Feb 2004

I agree with Big Troubles COMPLETELY on that one!

Comment

• Mezro
                              Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
                              Not his best, but I'm a big fan of Skyscraper. The main reason for it's pop reputation is "Just Like Paradise", but there are some amazing songs on the album.
                              Hey there commando Bill,

Yeah, there are some fire squirting songs on there. I vibe towards:

Knucklebones
                              Hot Dog and a Shake
                              Bottom Line
                              Damn Good

I just wanted more horse blasting crunch in the production and not so much sugar sweet shit. Just Like Paradise, Skyscraper and Stand Up all really suffer.

Mezro..who is off to shake his hot dog!

Comment

Working...