• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Favorite Supergroup Album?

I'll start off first...

This really isn't my style... but I loved this album.

Remember the MTV Exclusive days?

In the late 80's... with Veejay's Adam Curry etc etc...

I loved MTV back then... when they actually played videos!

<div><object width="480" height="348"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xcgn3_traveling-wilburys-handle-with-care_music&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xcgn3_traveling-wilburys-handle-with-care_music&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="348" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcgn3_traveling-wilburys-handle-with-care_music">Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/manon42">manon42</a></i></div>
  • alexpgrimes
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2004

I like the Damn Yankees but thats about it.
    If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head.

Comment

• WARF
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

I liked the, "Don't Tread" album way better than the first one.

Comment

• alexpgrimes
        Foot Soldier
        • Jan 2004

not a wilburys fan. didnt care for any of them solo or together. tom petty isnt bad though.
        If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Neurotic Outsiders (1996)
          Steve Jones - guitar, vocals
          Duff McKagan - guitar, vocals
          John Taylor - bass, vocals
          Matt Sorum - drums

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1REWnPfy9Sc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1REWnPfy9Sc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZ0LTzgOuxk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZ0LTzgOuxk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gepQtETSheI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gepQtETSheI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bnMM--273b4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bnMM--273b4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/czj9cUEtKfc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/czj9cUEtKfc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

I like both Velvet Revolver albums a lot, but I would have to say that my favourite supergroup record is Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes 'Live at the Greek'
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

FORD, cant half tell Steve Jones is in that band !
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

As for the Wilburys,
                I liked it due to the dudes involved.
                Must have been a blast for em all.
                (Lot of each others heroes)

Glad the big "O" played a part.
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Mr Walker
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

RULES!

I'm a chinese red-neck holdin' up a big wreck
                  Mama sure raised some hell...

Oh wait... you said Supergroup not Supagroup... my bad.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

I sort of consider Speak Of The Devil a Supergroup album...

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I like the Traveling Wilburys first album...

Did they make any others ??

I love Roy Orbison...

I have a DVD of Roy Orbison live in Australia from 1974...

It's in B&W for some reason but he sings beautifully and the band does a great job of emulating the sound of his recordings that were made nearly 20 years earlier...

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

It's a good find for nine dollars or less, and I see it occasionally at Best Buy and some other places...

I'm sure ebay or Amazon has it...

Click!

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Steve Jones had another short lived supergroup around 1985 or so called Chequered Past. It also featured Tony Sales who would later be in Tin Machine (with Bowie) Nigel Harrison and Clem Burke from Blondie, and that fucking hack Michael Des Barres on vocals. Their album was great, despite Des Barres' presence, but unfortunately this was when Steve was strung out on smack, which can be clearly seen in this rare performance clip, which is probably why they didn't last long.

This is so goddamn over the top 80's. Unfortunately it's not embeddable, so you'll have to click here to see it......

YouTube - Chequered Past - Underworld - Live
                          Last edited by FORD; 04-01-2009, 11:38 AM.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

CREEM—March 1985
                            Roy Trakin

New York—They've survived Sliverhead, Blondie, the Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop and Soupy Sales, but can these New Wave veterans find happiness among the heavy metal minions? Chequered Past are precisely that—five guys who've been through the proverbial and lived to tell about it. Lead singer Michael Des Barres has been the "next big thing" for over a decade, Silverhead, segueing to arena rock wit Detective and finally failing altogether as a solo artist on producer Mike Chapman's ill-fated Dreamland Records, which is where he ran into a pair of ex-Blondies in bassist Nigel Harrison and drummer Clem Burke. Throw in ex-Pistol Steve Jones and Soupy's son Tony Sales, who's played with Iggy and Todd Rundgren, on guitars and you've got a punk supergroup. Or do you?

"Our common ground is power," explains the aristocratic Londoner Des Barres. "The first songs we learned how to play were 'Vacation' by the Go-Go's and "Rock 'n' Roll by Zeppelin. This is our version of what a pure, hard rock 'n' roll band should be in an era when the American conception of rock is represented by Loverboy."

"I've always wanted to be in a rock band," chimes in Jones in his thick Cockney accent. "Trouble was, I had only been playing guitar for three months when I was in the Pistols. I s'pose that's why we sounded like we did."

Excuse me, Steve, but isn't Chequered Past just the kind of corporate rock band the Pistols used to rail against?

"N'yah, we know what's going on," he insists. "We're a street band; we're not up there on-stage with capes on, like Rick Wakeman or sumpthin'..."

Right now, Des Barres and Jones share a pad in Los Angeles and wrote most of the material on Chequered Past's self–titled debut album.

"We're like the Marquis of the Yobbo," says DesBarres explaining the odd coupling. "He's a working class dog and I'm the count, but writing develops quite naturally out of our relationship."

But why should this group succeed when all their past associations have ended up in shambles?

"I've never felt more positive or strong," states the veteran glam-rocker. "I could have been just another dead glitter star. Some awful foot in Kerrang! I've always been a real fan of rock stars and here I am in a band surrounded with them. Sometimes I'm onstage and I'll feel like I'm in the fuckin' Who. It's so much more enjoyable now because the relationship between the five of us is so strong. I like to say the '60s were hashish and Hendrix, the '70s were cocaine and herpes and the '80s are Perrier and push-ups. I'm tired of the bullshit of drugs, fighting, ego, competition, envy and jealousy, all that nonsense. I'm glad just to be a member of a solid team. I used to think a P.A. was a personal assistant. I had no ide. Today, I know what a P.A. is, as well as a tip sheet and independent promotion people."

The road is still fraught with hard rock, though, and after over 10 years in this business, isn't it a grind to start all over again?

"Dues, dues, dues. It's not a privileged trip," admits Des Barres. "We've been playing shitholes with Little Steven and the Filets Of Soul. God bless him with that hanky on his head, though. It's almost fun to play the Albuquerques and the Lubbocks now, y'know. We've learned though experience we have to be aware of what's happening to us. Which doesn't mean we have to be in control of every aspect of the business. We let people do what they do best. One can be in charge of his own destiny without having to manipulate everyone around you every second of the day."

Next stop is tour opening for current chart-toppers Ratt. Once again, the big question: can this intrepid troupe of Nuevo wavo castoffs connect with the heavy metal heartlands?

"I don't know how Steve'll look in Spandex, but I have a sneaking suspicion that moist 14-year-old girls are our audience," cackles Des Barres. "And boys with big hard-ons that wanna rock are gonna love Chequered Past."
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

I dunno FORD...

The Chequered Past Underworld live clip didn't do much for me...

Got anything else thet might represent them a bit better ??

That clip was sloppy, boring, and the "YEAH YEAH!" was aggravating as hell...

Comment

Working...