Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: OZZY OSBOURNE Sues TONY IOMMI Over Ownership Of BLACK SABBATH Name

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

OZZY OSBOURNE Sues TONY IOMMI Over Ownership Of BLACK SABBATH Name

OZZY OSBOURNE Sues TONY IOMMI Over Ownership Of BLACK SABBATH Name - May 29, 2009
    According to the New York Post, Ozzy Osbourne has filed a lawsuit against his BLACK SABBATH bandmate Tony Iommi, claiming that Iommi illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Osbourne is suing Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name.

The Manhattan federal court suit also charges that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.

Iommi and Geezer Butler have both said some less than kind things about working with Osbourne in a new interview with Decibel magazine. The pair recently completed a new studio album as HEAVEN & HELL, the post-Ozzy version of SABBATH featuring vocalist Ronnie James Dio, and Butler said that working with Dio was much easier than Osbourne. He explained, "Ronnie's a songwriter in his own right — he's got tons of ideas. Whereas Ozzy . . . in the old days, he'd come up with a vocal line and I'd write the lyrics. Ronnie is 100 percent involved in both the musical side and the vocal side, and he writes his own lyrics as well."

Butler added that Osbourne didn't take him seriously as a songwriter, saying, "If we were with Ozzy and I came in with the killer riff of all time, Ozzy wouldn't even think of doing it because I'm not the guitarist and that's the way he thinks . . . That's why it was so bloody hard to write anything."

Butler said about HEAVEN & HELL's debut CD, "The Devil You Know", "If we'd written this album with Ozzy, we'd still be working on the first track."

Iommi added that there was a sharp difference between the singers live as well, saying, "It was great being with Ozzy on the road . . . but with Ronnie it's a lot different, because we go out and we know exactly what we're gonna be doing. With Ozzy, we didn't really know. It was touch and go sometimes on some of those early shows, whether he was gonna turn up, if he'd be able to sing, if his voice was gone, or what. We'd have to cancel shows, which Geezer and myself really hated. But with Ronnie, we've never canceled a show."

HEAVEN & HELL will tour Europe later this spring and summer, with North American dates scheduled for August.

Ozzy Osbourne is currently working on his next solo album.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jesus Christ! Ozzy was a big element to Sabbath's success but what would Sabbath be without the riffs. Nothing. That whole band was the reason for it's success. Every member created something that was truly unique for it's time. Dio with Sabbath was successful and from the sounds of it, a much better fit.

You know Sharron is behind all of this. Fucking cunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unreal...

I actually thought Iommi had the rights to the name...I seem to recall him saying they could of continued calling the band Black Sabbath but chose H&H...

This has twat all over it...someone should egg her...

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fubar.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    $

Plain and simple.

The lawyers will see the majority of what comes from this...

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's the matter, not got enough money?

Fucking pathetic.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is bullshit. Why didn't Ozzy do it after he left and went solo and they carried on with Ronnie? Why didn't he do it after Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, and then 5 albums with Tony Martin? Why not after the success of Dehumanizer? This is f'ing insane and Sharon has to be behind it. No way Ozzy just all of a sudden got a hair up his ass and decided to file suit when he has only made one record with them in 30 years.
    After the quality of Black Rain he should file suit against himself for impersonating a heavy metal singer.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe he should also sue the producers of Weekend at Bernies and the ensuing sequel. Everyone knows Ozzy has been dead for years. Fuck i'm pissed.
    Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 05-29-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Toned it down a bit.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I read in Paranoid: Black Days With Sabbath & Other Horror Stories
    By Mick Wall that Ozzy was paid off to the sum of £80,000 in 1979.

He signed the contract relinquishing his rights to the name Sabbath.

Each member has done a similar deal over the years giving Tony sole ownership.

The link below is another legal fight Tony is involved with, this time with Netwerk Inc & Live Nation.

These are the court papers that were filed in Dec 2008. They detail Tony's ownership of the Sabbath name etc.

Link - Complaint Black Sabbath

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tony's not even using the name these days with Dio ('Heaven and Hell') so what's the point?

I guess, as Lounge put it, its all about $$$$$.

I take it Oz's new reality show is not taking very well not to mention his recent CD sales.

Or maybe there is a hint of jealousy over Tony and Geezer's success with Dio again.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Tony's not even using the name these days with Dio ('Heaven and Hell') so what's the point?

I guess, as Lounge put it, its all about $$$$$.

I take it Oz's new reality show is not taking very well not to mention his recent CD sales.

Or maybe there is a hint of jealousy over Tony and Geezer's success with Dio again.
    Bingo but it's Sharron who is pissed not Ozzy. I doubt he even knows that Dio and Sabbath are together.

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Just yesterday I was talking to my daughter (she's 15 and has a huge interest in classic rock) about Sabbath.

Most girls would ask things like "Mommy, how do butterflies get their wings?"

My daughter asks "Mommy, who was playing lead guitar on War Pigs?"

Anyway...I'll have to add this little "current event" to our history lesson.

It does suck, and sounds more like $haron than Ozzy.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What would be funnier is if the first person who called John Osbourne "Ozzy" showed up and decided to sue him for use of that name.

That would be justice.

Hasn`t Oz got enough money already, for fucks sake?

Ozzy is the new Gene Simmons, only 100 times worse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sitting on a park bench!

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    :dafinger:

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How does Ozzy figure he owns 50% of the name?

I could understand it if he claimed 25%, and that Geezer and Bill Ward would each be entitled to 25% also. And I definitely agree with Ozzy that the band should have never been called "Black Sabbath" after the original split, and a complete joke to call it that on any of the Iommi solo albums (and that's what they were) from 1986 to 1995. (Dehumanizer notwithstanding - that was a "Heaven & Hell" album)

But this is obviously a Sharon cash grab. Ozzy probably wasn't even in the lawyer's office when they wrote up the lawsuit.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is Sharon's fucking greed. The same fucking greed that keeps Ozzy making albums and on the road, despite the fact that he's DONE and making a laughing stock out of himself.

It seems to me that Ozzy agreed to do the last Sabbath reunion tour on the condition that Tony retire the Sabbath name. Tony has done that. They called the Dio reunion H&H.

What's Ozzy's beef? I guarantee you he has none. It's that cunt looking for more $$$$$$
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OZZY SPEAKS ABOUT BLACK SABBATH TRADEMARK ISSUE

MAY 29, 2009, 9:12 pm
    Below is my official press statement on the official Black Sabbath trademark lawsuit. I am very saddened that I’ve had to take legal action against Tony. This is something that I’ve tried to avoid for years. I am not Geezer or Bill’s voice. However, till the day I die I will not change my mind on this issue. The Black Sabbath trademark should be equally owned by Geezer, Bill, Tony and I as the true Black Sabbath lineup is Tony, Geezer, Bill and I. We’ve all been mates since school. I’ve always said there is an invisible thread that holds us together. Tony, lets get this ridiculous issue sorted and move on with our lives. You’re 61, I’m 60. I hope that we’ve got a good 20 years left in us. But if not, God Forbid something happens to you. What’s going to happen to the Black Sabbath trademark? Who’s going to oversee it? Don’t you think after we’re long gone the rights should stay in your family, my family, Bill’s family and Geezer’s family?

Statement from OZZY OSBOURNE:

“It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990’s, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of "Black Sabbath" was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name “Black Sabbath” which lead to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the “Black Sabbath” brand through OZZFEST, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name "Black Sabbath" now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it’s had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don’t have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We’ve all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We’re all in our 60’s now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing.”

Link - Ozzy Osbourne OZZY SPEAKS ABOUT BLACK SABBATH TRADEMARK ISSUE | The Official Ozzy Osbourne Site

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If Ozzy pulls this off,

Would David Lee Roth have the balls to do the same to VH?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by katie View Post
    If Ozzy pulls this off,

It would be harder for Dave to make his case, because it happens to be Eddie & Alex's last name. Actually Wolfie's too, but he's not an original band member so that's beside the point.

Long term fans know that it was actually Dave who named the band "Van Halen" in the first place, but I have my doubts a court would see it that way.

Ironically, if Eddie had his way, the band would have been called "Rat Salade" and Ozzy/Sharon would probably be suing them too.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OZZY SPEAKS ABOUT BLACK SABBATH TRADEMARK ISSUE

MAY 29, 2009, 9:12 pm
    Below is my official press statement on the official Black Sabbath trademark lawsuit. I am very saddened that I’ve had to take legal action against Tony. This is something that I’ve tried to avoid for years. I am not Geezer or Bill’s voice. However, till the day I die I will not change my mind on this issue. The Black Sabbath trademark should be equally owned by Geezer, Bill, Tony and I as the true Black Sabbath lineup is Tony, Geezer, Bill and I. We’ve all been mates since school. I’ve always said there is an invisible thread that holds us together. Tony, lets get this ridiculous issue sorted and move on with our lives. You’re 61, I’m 60. I hope that we’ve got a good 20 years left in us. But if not, God Forbid something happens to you. What’s going to happen to the Black Sabbath trademark? Who’s going to oversee it? Don’t you think after we’re long gone the rights should stay in your family, my family, Bill’s family and Geezer’s family?

Statement from OZZY OSBOURNE:

“It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990’s, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of "Black Sabbath" was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name “Black Sabbath” which lead to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the “Black Sabbath” brand through OZZFEST, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name "Black Sabbath" now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it’s had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don’t have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We’ve all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We’re all in our 60’s now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing.”

Link - Ozzy Osbourne OZZY SPEAKS ABOUT BLACK SABBATH TRADEMARK ISSUE | The Official Ozzy Osbourne Site

Jesus Christ, this has Sharon's cuntprint all over it...

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This just reeks of "more,more,more" for the Osbourne/Arden clan.....super sickening.
    I guess Greed is still paramount for some of the "Rock Royalty"

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Judge: "Well Mr. Osbourne, perhaps if you didn't get your collective asses blown off the stage every night by Van Halen in 1978, you wouldn't need to sue Mr. Iommi."
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Long term fans know that it was actually Dave who named the band "Van Halen" in the first place, but I have my doubts a court would see it that way.
    Roth was asked if he regretted that quite recently, I think on his radio show and said no way.

I didn't believe him for a second...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    His cunt wife needs more money too spend !!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    $

Plain and simple.

The lawyers will see the majority of what comes from this...

Ain't that the truth?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Money aside, what's the point in suing now?

If Ozzy was so concerned about the Black Sabbath name being tarnished due to continual lineup changes post-1978, why did he wait until now to bring suit, as opposed to, say, 20 years ago, when Iommi was the only founding member left in the band?

Iommi, Butler, Dio and Vinnie are on the road as Heaven and Hell...nobody is technically even using the name Black Sabbath in terms of contemporary musical endeavours, so what is all the fuss about? The allocation of percentages on the residuals and future album/merchandising sales?

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If Ozzy pulls this off,

NO, this is a different realm.

Dave's got lawyers from here to San Diego, and waited almost 30 years.

But Ozzy's got his wife trying to pull a Don Arden here much to the detriment of the socalled "brand name."

And even if it's not this way, it appears this way because Don shook down all kinds of young Brit groups, regularly.

If she can't get her way in court, maybe she will bring her staff to throw eggs at the next Heaven and Hell showdate. That will teach Tony, pitch an egg atcha boy..

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    This is Sharon's fucking greed. The same fucking greed that keeps Ozzy making albums and on the road, despite the fact that he's DONE and making a laughing stock out of himself.

It seems to me that Ozzy agreed to do the last Sabbath reunion tour on the condition that Tony retire the Sabbath name. Tony has done that. They called the Dio reunion H&H.

What's Ozzy's beef? I guarantee you he has none. It's that cunt looking for more $$$$$$

Ozzy needs to sakk up before Sharon points him towards the stage and sais your a variety show/actor television host now...what!!

Oop's too late......

He loves the woman, but she, I believe has kept him high too long.

You can call the majic those 4 dudes made Sabbath but you cannot name or trademark what it is or was...

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, well, well...it's the 1980's all over again, isn't it?

Tony Iommi, since 1979, has purchased the rights to the name BLACK SABBATH from all other four of the members. But only once it became pretty apparent that they no longer wanted anything to do with the band or had any particular vested interest in it (and if I remember correctly, the last person he secured the rights to the name from was Geezer in 1985 after the whole Live Aid thing, I may be wrong on that, but if memory serves, Iommi was the sole controller of all things Black Sabbath in 1985).

That means that yes, Ozzy, Geezer and Bill legally acknowledged that they had no continued interest in the name Black Sabbath and accepted a cash buyout of any and all rights regarding the name. Which, I'm sure, none of them had any real problem with considering where Black Sabbath's "fortunes" were at circa 1985-1986.

Now, legally, that's a pretty open and shut sort of arrangement right there, unless there's some fine print hidden somewhere that states something to the contrary. Nobody I know has actually seen any of the arrangements per se, but I wouldn't think there'd be a clause like that. Wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Taking it all a step further, we have to examine that fact that, after the management change and label change in 1988, Tony Iommi essentially funded Black Sabbath himself out of his own pocket (IRS wasn't exactly a powerhouse label and a great deal of keeping Black Sabbath alive financially was realistically up to him). During this time, Ozzy Osbourne was VERY vocal about how "Black Sabbath is a joke", "Tony always wanted Black Sabbath all to himself and he's welcome to it", "I don't want anything at all to do with Black Sabbath", "My solo career is far more successful than anything Black Sabbath's ever done without me", etc. I could show you a million instances where he ran his mouth in the press about Tony and Sabbath and how worthless they were without him (which, apparently, hasn't changed much).

So, we got the whole Dehumanizer thing, which showed Sabbath at more American success than what they'd had since '83. Not much, but it proved that there was still some viability in the brand name. Costa Mesa 1993 happened, the whole Dio implosion happened, and then everybody sat around waiting for Ozzy and Sabbath to get back together. Well, for whatever reasons, this didn't go down - Tony and Geezer kept on with Sabbath, Ozzy wished them "all the best" and his 'retirement' didn't quite pan out the way he said it was going to, this we all know.

Well, Geezer left Sabbath again after an argument with Tony while on the Cross Purposes tour and the next thing you know, there he is with Ozzy for the recording of Ozzmosis. Ozzy was quoted as saying "Well, look at Tony Iommi, still continuing on with Black Sabbath. I was an original member of Black Sabbath and so was Geezer, so when you get right down to it, Geezer, Zakk and I could call ourselves Black Sabbath because, well, we're two members and he's only one." Direct quote out of Metal Edge, I think it was.

It was a silly thing to say at that point, and it's even sillier to say it now. No legal basis whatsoever. Ozzy originally said it because he was selfish of the Black Sabbath name. Looks like he still is.

Here's the thing of it, really...when Ronnie came back into the fold and "The Dio Years" happened, they recorded three news songs AS Black Sabbath for the compilation. But, in the light of the RNRHOF induction (and beings as the Ozzy/Tony/Geezer/Bill lineup was the only one inducted), Tony, Geezer and Ron decided that, rather than get into a huge feud with camp Ozzy over the name Black Sabbath (in the mindset that a Ozzy reunion full length Sabbath album may someday happen), they should go out with the name Heaven & Hell instead.

This, to me, shows a large degree of congeniality towards camp Ozzy (which is really Sharon and her lawyers, let's face it). Ozzy was always very adamant in the press that Sabbath without Ozzy wasn't Sabbath and whatever, so I actually considered that a pretty sociable thing for the three of them to do in deference to Ozzy. Ronnie stated that, no matter what they called the band, people were still going to think of them as Black Sabbath - that much is correct. The Heaven & Hell lineup recorded three albums and three new songs AS Black Sabbath, so there's not really any room to mistake it. Especially among fans who were going to identify with them, and let's face it - those would be Sabbath fans, probably not anybody new to them at this stage in the game.

It seems to me that, based on all of this, Tony has been pretty God damned considerate towards Ozzy and classic Sabbath's legacy.

But this is where it gets interesting - Heaven & Hell debut at #8, their live performances are good, reviews for them mostly rave, Radio City Music Hall Live was very warmly received. And all of a sudden Ozzy (and by Ozzy, I mostly mean Sharon) has a problem with it. Go figure.

This is, remember, the same Ozzy Osbourne who said in 1980 that "Ronnie James Dio should wear a bulletproof vest if he plans on singing any of my material on stage". The same Ozzy Osbourne who said Black Sabbath "would be nothing without him". The same Ozzy Osbourne who called them "Geezer and the Three Wops" a year later. The same Ozzy Osbourne that had a midget cutout on stage named "Ronnie".

And, lo and behold, for all of Ozzy's shit talking, Black Sabbath had a huge return to favor with Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and Live Evil albums. Their best received albums since Sabotage, in fact.

AGAIN, they're successful without Ozzy Osbourne, and AGAIN, Ozzy Osbourne can't fucking stand it.

Now, a lot of pro-Ozzy people have argued that he's entitled to his cut of the Sabbath material that he's on, and that I absolutely don't deny, regardless of whether or not he actually contributed anything beyond his voice to them. His name is on the albums as songwriter and he should be compensated for his imagery on merchandising and whatnot.

That's not what he's asking for. What he's asking for is the NAME and the royalties that go with it. 50% of all Ozzy related Black Sabbath proceeds and a portion of ANYTHING involving the name Black Sabbath.

His legal argument for this? In print?

"Well, Black Sabbath sucked without me! I'm therefore entitled!"

So let me ask a simple question that we can all relate to - should Sammy Hagar be compensated for Van Halen proceeds from 1978 to 1984 because "Sammy Hagar's distinctive voice was the critical element to Van Halen's success in the 1980's"? Should he receive proceeds from ALL Van Halen eras because he was involved with them and "They sucked without him"?

This is Ozzy's entire legal argument here. "Black Sabbath's brand name wasn't viable without Ozzy Osbourne!" Which is a funny to make, because I see a Black Sabbath that continued on without Ozzy Osbourne (in varying degrees of success) from 1980 to 1993, and again from 1994 to 1997, and again from 2006 and since.

I don't know of any legal precedent that demands that a band meet a particular level of cash flow or concert attendance or album sales to be considered "relevant". I'll tell you this, though, Black Sabbath at it's absolute NADIR was FAR, FAR better off and ridiculously more successful than I've ever been in any of my bands.

So what does it boil down to? Does Ozzy actually feel this adamantly about this?

...or do you think maybe Sharon Osbourne has something to do with it, hmm? Think about that.

Frankly, I have very little doubt that two things are going to happen: 1) the lawyers are going to reap a huge fucking payday from this and 2) Iommi will eventually win it. What's left at that point will be negligible, but perhaps breaking the Heaven & Hell bank in light of their recent successes are what Ozzy and Sharon are really after, just as a way of saying "Fuck you" to Tony, Geezer and Ronnie. Don't know, but I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

I think, though, once Tony wins this case, he should go to Rhino and immediately take the Heaven & Hell albums (Radio City and The Devil You Know) out of print and re-release them under the name BLACK SABBATH as a fuck you right back to Ozzy and Sharon for this shit. Actually, he should do that NOW as a way of asserting that he DOES in fact own the name and can do whatever the fuck he wants with it - and Ozzy has no fucking say in the matter.

Depending on how far Tony wants to go with it, take the Ozzy catalog out of print, go back into the studio and re-record the eight Ozzy albums with Dio singing. Seriously. And then the press release could say, oh, something to the effect of "We took a negative situation and turned it into a positive one!".

Hell, it'd certainly be a nice step for Bob, Lee and Randy's mom...
    Twistin' by the pool.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dunno about that last part. I really don't think I want to hear Dio singing "Changes" or "Planet Caravan".

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great post, Bueno Bob!

You documented the mud-slinging over the years well between Ozzy and Black Sabbath.
    That would be hilarious if Tony takes it that far after winning the case, I'd love to hear studio Ronnie Dio versions of the old Sabbath songs released and that would really serve the Osbournes well for being so greedy and arrogant over the years.
    I never really found out if Bob Daisley and Lee k. finally received more money after their long-term beef with the Sharon/Ozzy Camp.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow, Bob! Excellent post.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    reality though, is that I seem to remember Dio being fine with the "rebranding" as "Heaven & Hell" because he didn't really want to sing the Ozzy songs anyway.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He could sing the Oz era catalogue but it would be peppered with alot of "ooh, aye yeaah's" and "look outs"..

If Katie's correct that Bill and Geeze assigned their portion of the name rights in with Tony's, then Sharon is willing to bet alot of money she can split the alliance by offering to buy them off the defense of it.

That would be an awful position and from what I've read Bill Ward has ALWAYS been Ozzy's bud.

He'll be the first target of concilliatory endearment by Sharon to sign off this in advance, and if Bill gives in for a little money Geezer might be pursuaded.

And due to Bill's pulmonary condition off and on, he's of the age that the thought of a good retirement stipend from Sharon to side with the Oz docket could be tempting. If you think about it, that may very well be the carrot behind all this.

With sales of Black Sabbath continuing as a legacy the younger generation buy into as a new catalogue to them, it's concievably lucrative a notion that they wouldn't notice the rhythm section stripped - just like she screwed Lee Kerslake and Bob Daisley out of the OZZY recordings - effectively increasing the share of paidout royalties to the Osbornes.

You can say all you want against Gene Simmons in this regard, replacing band members. But to my knowledge, he has not re-recorded the classic recordings with unknown studio cats.. I believe this is what Sharon will aim to do.

There comes a point in a man's pride where he won't step over a certain guideline to poor quality in the work that he does, but women dont understand this.. they just see an extention to their shopping budget and if this is truly the case initiator behind it, Ozzy needs to put the foot down and fire her ass because no self-respecting guitarist is gonna want to write new material and give him another hit album if they know in advance he's a screw or his managing wife is gonna be a screw.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    You can say all you want against Gene Simmons in this regard, replacing band members. But to my knowledge, he has not re-recorded the classic recordings with unknown studio cats.. I believe this is what Sharon will aim to do.
    As usual, wrong yet again: KISS "Jigoku Retsuden - New Recordings Best"

JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE RELEASE!!

"KISSOLOGY, a new KISS Greatest Hits CD featuring all new recording of 15 KISS Classics! The tracks were recently recorded with their current 2008 lineup. The CD is scheduled to be released in Japan on August 27."

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What the FUCK?? Is Sharon Osbourne managing KI$$ now?

Lame, Chaim Witz..... seriously lame.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This has to fail for Ozzy and Sharon and it MUST be decided in Tony's favor. Period. If Ozzy and Sharon get any more control over the name Black Sabbath than what they already do (and remember, they're asking for 50 FUCKING PERCENT), the market is going to be bastardized and saturated with "Black Sabbath Greatest Hits Vol. Eleventy" albums to no end. Any form of Black Sabbath merchandising is going to have Ozzy's face over everybody else, Tony, Geezer and Bill. And anything else from any other era, well, you may as well fucking forget it because it's going out of print and any merchandise will run you $50 and up on eBay...forget buying a T shirt in the store...

What's really going on here is what we all kinda suspected was going to happen eventually - Sharon Osbourne was going to demand her due payment for being married to Ozzy and she was going to attempt to legally sue Black Sabbath into being nothing more than HIS first solo band.

It's fucking bullshit and it's completely transparent, they aren't fooling anybody with that "Let's do it to keep the name in our families for equality!" crock of shit. Anybody who knows ANYTHING about the Osbournes knows full well that financial equality is of NO fucking concern to them at all. Sharon's wallet first and the rest of Ozzy's bandmates can squabble over the pennies that are left, and that's never been much.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was in denial at first, but now it's all true! Ozzy is sharon's puppet! And not the kind with strings, I'm talking about the kind of puppet in which you have to shove your fist up its ass to make it move!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post
    I was in denial at first, but now it's all true! Ozzy is sharon's puppet! And not the kind with strings, I'm talking about the kind of puppet in which you have to shove your fist up its ass to make it move!
    Yeah. He wouldn't have done this of his own accord, that's for certain.

I think we can probably say for certain that this is it for an Ozzy Osbourne fronted Black Sabbath ever again. Unfortunate, too, because Scary Dreams showed quite a bit of potential...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know nothing of old Ozzy. Outside of him eating bats for a shtick. The single concert of his I attended, I arrived late and had to ask who was that on stage. Didn't seem much to me. But that might have been due to seats, the section was not away from the crowd and I spent more time concerned about my well-being.

It seems as if y'all would complain if he was down on his luck and pushing pennies to get by AND you complain of his profiting. From what I read shady business dealings is the real questionable part of Osborn association.

FACT IS-> to not have to schlep on the road, an artist must create streams of revenue outside the label and outside schelping on the road.

It is somewhat obvious they did not take on a 360 deal...
    After reading a bit more, I reiterate the Osborn's (they do seem to be a package deal) business practices are questionable. If one was to work with them, better have checked and rechecked the contract and have behavioral clauses included or just accept their questionable practices, do what ya came to do and move on with it.

Thread Information