X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

The Practice Amp Thread

Recently acquired one of these. A Line 6 Spider II 112 .75 watts with 4 channels and digital FX.

FEATURES:

* 12 amp models that deliver a complete range from Clean to Insane
    * 7 Smart Control effects (up to 3 simultaneous) including Tape Echo, standard Delay, Sweep Echo (all w/Tap Tempo), Chorus/Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo and Reverb
    * 4 User-programmable channels
    * Built-in front panel Tuner
    * Enough power to kill pesky Chupacabras and Evil Payasos

* Optional footswitch available.

I love this fucker. Once I had my tones dialed in I was sold on this amp.
    I have my presets as follows:

Channel 1: Clean Eric Johnson like tone with chorus, tape echo, bit of verb.
    Channel 2: Blues tone similar to Stevie Ray with a short delay slap.
    Channel 3: Dialed in to a modded Plexi tone.(No fx)
    Channel 4: Lead tone dialed in to a Plexi tone with more gain with approx. 400ms. of delay.

At 75 watts, it's perfect to bring along as a backup for gigging as well as easy and light enough to drag around to jam with friends.

Got a practice amp?

Discuss...
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 02-12-2010, 06:03 PM.
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Hey, good enough for this guy....

Good enough for me!

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

When I saw the thread title I was gonna say a POD into
      a mixer or stereo or whatever amplification device has
      a free input....
      Lighter than yours, but I like the look of yours better !
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Other than that, I have a really old marshall (I think its 15 watts ?)
        Single speaker floor job... No good for gigging, but great tone
        at low volume
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i have an Epiphone Valve Jr. head and built a little poplar shelf-board box holding an Eminence speaker. sounds okay for stupid cheap. or i can plug the J-Station into my mixer and run it through the monitors.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I wouldn't mind getting a Valve Jr.and doing the Mercury Magnetics Mod, those things sound sick, but it's a pretty expensive 15-watt amp by the time you're done with it...
            Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
              i have an Epiphone Valve Jr. head and built a little poplar shelf-board box holding an Eminence speaker. sounds okay for stupid cheap. or i can plug the J-Station into my mixer and run it through the monitors.
              I have a modded Valve Jr. combo. I use it for bass and guitar practice. If I want dirt, I dime it or use a peddle. I sounds great. The key is to put a bigger output transformer in which was a necessity in my case because I fried the original.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                I wouldn't mind getting a Valve Jr.and doing the Mercury Magnetics Mod, those things sound sick, but it's a pretty expensive 15-watt amp by the time you're done with it...
                Nothing wrong with the Mercury Magnetics Mod but it's on the spendy side. You can get a transformer that will sound good for less money from another supplier.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I have a Marshall AVT50. It was fair as a practice amp... but on a whim I replaced the stock Chinese made, Marshall logo pre-amp tube with a Knight Mullard 12AX7 with a 1942 date stamp on it. Huge difference in both clean and dirty tone!!

Clean it took on a Fender sparkle and dirty it tightened the lows and mids without that solid-state grind typical of these hybrids. Actually breathes a bit...

I also tried a cirica 1954 12AT7 Mullard in it and it behaved a lot like a mid-60's cranked Deluxe Reverb. Real bright in the high mids, but it lost some of the low end spank and tightness.

I use this thing the most even when going out and jamming. Beats lugging my old 64 Bassman and cabinet around... plus I don't have to worry about trashing it as I can replace it for around $300 or less anytime...
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I use a SansAmp PSA 1.1 a lot. Our band practices where a PA is always set up, so a lot of times I will just run it to the board. Instead of amps and speakers I'm hauling a little rack mount unit.

Comment

• rocknrolldork
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Jun 2004

I have a Mesa Studio Series amp. 1 x 12. Pretty versatile. I use my POD for home practice a lot more now that the baby is here.

My bass practice amp is a Hartke 1 x 15 combo. It's ok, but it's still Hartke. I have a killer Genz Benz bass head, Shuttle 6.0. Just wish I had a 2 x 10 cab or something instead of the refrigerator or the 4 x 10.

Anyone ever try that new 5 watt Marshall combo?

Comment

• jackassrock
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Sep 2004

I've got a few little amps around the house.

A Roland Cube-15x
                        A Squire Champ
                        And a Marshall 6101 (for a VERY expensive amp it is not so useful in a loud band setting even through a cab)
                        Of course I usually use the Marshall, but the Roland is a pretty decent 18 watter with several different gain settings and a good clean sound.
                        It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Crate 65-watt 1 X 12 combo amp, and a Fender Sidekick. Both transistor amps.
                          Almost never play through them. Marshall halfstack is in my living room, so if I wanna plunk on my axe while watching TV or something, I just play through that.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

I also have one of these fuckers. An original Roland Cube-40.
                            Not bad for givin my kids guitar lessons. When it's maxed out ,it breaks up nice like an Altec speaker...

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              I have a Marshall AVT50. It was fair as a practice amp... but on a whim I replaced the stock Chinese made, Marshall logo pre-amp tube with a Knight Mullard 12AX7 with a 1942 date stamp on it. Huge difference in both clean and dirty tone!!

Clean it took on a Fender sparkle and dirty it tightened the lows and mids without that solid-state grind typical of these hybrids. Actually breathes a bit...

I also tried a cirica 1954 12AT7 Mullard in it and it behaved a lot like a mid-60's cranked Deluxe Reverb. Real bright in the high mids, but it lost some of the low end spank and tightness.

I use this thing the most even when going out and jamming. Beats lugging my old 64 Bassman and cabinet around... plus I don't have to worry about trashing it as I can replace it for around $300 or less anytime...

Obi Wan where is it you find these vintage 12AX7's ??
                              Best I can buy new is Soltek or some Chinese unbranded...
                              Have you been holding onto them since 1942 ya old bugger !!
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...