X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

My Reaquisition

I bought this guitar from my best friend for $350 back in '92.
    I foolishly traded it for a '94 White Gibson SG (non pickgurd style with Kahler).
    I've always kicked myself for that deal. I never really was too crazy about the SG, I never really grew on me. It was top heavy and was a bitch to keep in tune.
    Upon hearing of my friends passing I contacted my buddy I did the trade with way back when. I told him of my friends fate and asked him if he'd sell it back to me. He was using the guitar as a backup to his LP. He said that we traded first first time around and he'd be down with trading again. I ended up trading him my modded white Epiphone LP Custom.

Anyway when he opened up the case it was like time travel. It took me back to when my best friend showed me it for the first time back in '81. He was the biggest VH/EVH freak I ever knew. He played Ed better than Ed. He def.took to this guitar for it's short scale length( he had small hands) and killer tone. Ended up having a Kahler style bridge installed (after I had advised him against doing so...).

Frets are still in good shape. Body's had some wear from extensive gigging.
    It still has the original pickup in the neck position and the bridge PU was swapped out in the mid '80's with a (Tim Shaw designed) Gibson PAF.
    So I take it down to the studio, change the strings (9-52) and crank 'er up through my rig.
    The fucker SCREAMS!!!

It's my new #2 (nothing can top my LP)

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Awesome DJ

One of the firsts bands I was in, the guitarist had one of those, same color, too.

Cranked through a Marshall in a cinder block basement, that fucker could tear the paint off the wall at twenty paces. My God did we play loud, my ears are ringing just thinking about that.
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Diamondjimi
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
      Awesome DJ

One of the firsts bands I was in, the guitarist had one of those, same color, too.

Cranked through a Marshall in a cinder block basement, that fucker could tear the paint off the wall at twenty paces. My God did we play loud, my ears are ringing just thinking about that.
      Thanks bro.
      You realize we only play that loud to hear ourselves over the goddamn drummer...

Comment

• kwame k
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
        Thanks bro.
        You realize we only play that loud to hear ourselves over the goddamn drummer...
        Yeah, I do....that's why I used 26" bass drums back in the day and over-sized toms. You bitches better of had wattage back then
        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

Yeah, I do....that's why I used 26" bass drums back in the day and over-sized toms. You bitches better of had wattage back then
          That's something us guitarist's learn very quick in the early days of jamming...
          "Fuck, my 15 watt practice amp ain't cuttin it anymore!"
          I still remember ploppin down a $50 deposit and draggin my first Marshall cab(wheelless) home on the bus after school all those years ago. To this day I've done practically every gig/recording with the fucker.
          You've def. seen it around here. Ya know, it's the one GAR wanks to....

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
            That's something us guitarist's learn very quick in the early days of jamming...
            "Fuck, my 15 watt practice amp ain't cuttin it anymore!"
            I still remember ploppin down a $50 deposit and draggin my first Marshall cab(wheelless) home on the bus after school all those years ago. To this day I've done practically every gig/recording with the fucker.
            You've def. seen it around here. Ya know, it's the one GAR wanks to....
            The little fella hasn't been around much, no wonder things here have been pleasant.

I still have my ride cymbal, wood snare and Tama Titian hardware from my first real kit.

I'm amazed that the cymbal and stands have endured for 25 years of constant gigging. The Tama stands are fucking monsters, though. Heavy as shit.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2004

The little fella hasn't been around much, no wonder things here have been pleasant.
              I think him and Lefty might be having a lovers quarrel. I heard she broke his nose..

I still have my ride cymbal, wood snare and Tama Titian hardware from my first real kit.

I'm amazed that the cymbal and stands have endured for 25 years of constant gigging. The Tama stands are fucking monsters, though. Heavy as shit.
              Sounds like ya ain't hittin 'em hard enough.

More Moon, less Charlie Watts...

(Kidding)

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

It's just that fucking ride cymbal......an early 80's Zildjian. Every crash cymbal I've ever had has lasted maybe a year, less depending on how much I was touring/gigging.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

No shit,eh...
                  I remember I went to a music store in Toronto way back in the early 80's and bought 25 ft. of Belden cable and put my own jacks on it. I used it for 15 years before it finally crapped out one me. I've yet to own one as reliable...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

What eats my ears is the damn cymbals.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2004

No shit...

Comment

• kwame k
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Feb 2008

mine too....you guys have that ringing in your ears, too?

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2004

Got a gig tomorrow night. Gonna give 'r shit!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

If everything was built as good as Tama drum kits the world would be a better place.

No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Love Tama's hardware but Yamaha drums for me......

Comment

Working...