Cultural Awesomeness in Arizona...Thanks to Steve Blair.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Cultural Awesomeness in Arizona...Thanks to Steve Blair.

A group of artists has been asked to lighten the faces of children depicted in a giant public mural at a Prescott school.

The project's leader says he was ordered to lighten the skin tone after complaints about the children's ethnicity. But the school's principal says the request was only to fix shading and had nothing to do with political pressure.

The "Go on Green" mural, which covers two walls outside Miller Valley Elementary School, was designed to advertise a campaign for environmentally friendly transportation. It features portraits of four children, with a Hispanic boy as the dominant figure.

R.E. Wall, director of Prescott's Downtown Mural Project, said he and other artists were subjected to slurs from motorists as they worked on the painting at one of the town's most prominent intersections.

"We consistently, for two months, had people shouting racial slander from their cars," Wall said. "We had children painting with us, and here come these yells of (epithet for Blacks) and (epithet for Hispanics)."

**(Bob's note - that's the "N" word and the "S" word for those of you who missed it...)**

Wall said school Principal Jeff Lane pressed him to make the children's faces appear happier and brighter.

"It is being lightened because of the controversy," Wall said, adding that "they want it to look like the children are coming into light."

Lane said that he received only three complaints about the mural and that his request for a touch-up had nothing to do with political pressure. "We asked them to fix the shading on the children's faces," he said. "We were looking at it from an artistic view. Nothing at all to do with race."

City Councilman Steve Blair spearheaded a public campaign on his talk show at Prescott radio station KYCA-AM (1490) to remove the mural.

In a broadcast last month, according to the Daily Courier in Prescott, Blair mistakenly complained that the most prominent child in the painting is African-American, saying: "To depict the biggest picture on the building as a Black person, I would have to ask the question: Why?"

Blair could not be reached for comment Thursday. In audio archives of his radio show, Blair discusses the mural. He insists the controversy isn't about racism but says the mural is intended to create racial controversy where none existed before.

"Personally, I think it's pathetic," he says. "You have changed the ambience of that building to excite some kind of diversity power struggle that doesn't exist in Prescott, Arizona. And I'm ashamed of that."

Faces in the mural were drawn from photographs of children enrolled at Miller Valley, a K-5 school with 380 students and the highest ethnic mix of any school in Prescott. Wall said thousands of town residents volunteered or donated to the project, the fourth in a series of community murals painted by a group of artists known as the "Mural Mice."

The public art, funded by a $5,000 state grant through the Prescott Alternative Transportation Center, was selected by school students and faculty.

"The parents and children love it," Lane said.
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

So, is this good or bad ??

Comment

• Jagermeister
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I'm really having to hold back on this. Way to much potencial
      for racial humor.

Comment

• Blaze
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
        sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Link to the photo gallery
          "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
          sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

I think we have a new bee girl
            sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Wow, these folks get costumed at a drop of a hat~
              sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Does grampa have on Culottes insted of a kilt?
                Nevermind he is standing on a golf-cart while riding down a sidewalk playing bag pipes that do not match his Culottes

Last edited by Blaze; 06-05-2010, 02:48 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Holy Guacamole !
                  These people seem to paint anything that cannot run away.

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!
                  sigpic

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    So, is this good or bad ??
                    Well, I don't know. I'd say that one of the city dads hiding behind his radio microphone and making a big fucking stink about the skin color of K-5 students on a painted mural, up to the point where the Principal of said school orders a large dose of more whiteness for the kids depicted (actual students at the school, mind you) so as not to offend all those easily intimidated by their color variation...well, I don't know. Call me crazy but I'd score it as "bad", personally.

Of course, Steve Blair can't even distinguish between black and Hispanic. At his age, you'd assume he'd know the difference. I'd call that "bad", too, but one color is just as bad as another if it's not plainly white, I guess?

If racial epithets ("******" and "Spic") were being hurled at the picture of children attending that school for two months by grown up, mature and responsible white folk, and Steve Blair took to a public forum to rail for it to be taken down a month later (so as not to offend anybody who doesn't like those skin colors, I presume), I'd make a venture to say that Steve Blair is on their side, and based on his ignorance of skin color and how it applies to a person's race, well, I suppose I'd call that "bad", especially when he's supposedly representing the city of Prescott by sitting on the council. I assume there aren't just white people in Prescott, but I could be wrong. Maybe all those other colors are just border jumping illegals.

We could always phone him and ask, or send him an email.

928-777-1100
                    Last edited by bueno bob; 06-05-2010, 03:24 AM.
                    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                      I'm really having to hold back on this. Way to much potencial
                      for racial humor.
                      I agree 100%! The person who created this thread is far more interested in 'owning' than they are in having to counter any kind of intelligence they may have to refute as to why they bothered to create a thread out of this in the first fucking place!

Spin your shit, Vader!! It's all for fail anyways.....jagoff!

It has way too much potential to take apart! Maybe he's high or drunk....who knows (or cares)?
                      Last edited by hambon4lif; 06-05-2010, 03:32 AM. Reason: cuzz you are a CUNT

Comment

• bueno bob
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif
                        I agree 100%!
                        Ooh, goody!

The person who created this thread is far more interested in 'owning' than they are in having to counter any kind of intelligence
                        Demonstrate some and I'll consider it. I haven't seen any "intelligence" displayed as of yet.

they may have to refute
                        Nor have I seen anything to "refute", shit for brains. Mind telling me where the counter point was? I missed it. All I saw is a confused (and probably drunken) Elvis and a bunch of pictures.

as to why they bothered to create a thread out of this in the first fucking place!
                        I create threads for two reasons.

1) Because they're relevant and/or of interest;
                        2) Because I fucking feel like it.

Spin your shit, Vader!! It's all for fail anyways.....jagoff!
                        Where's the spin? It's a news article from a legitimate source about a story in Prescott and some obviously serious racial undertones.

Hey, if you don't see it, move your ass along, amateur.

It has way too much potential to take apart!
                        Hunh?

Maybe he's high or drunk....who knows (or cares)?
                        Obviously you do, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. Glad to see you still care about me, though.
                        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                          I create threads for two reasons.

1) Because they're relevant and/or of interest;
                          2) Because I fucking feel like it.
                          ....not really sold on the former, holmes!
                          I know from purely a watchers standpoint, you create threads like this with the sole intention of starting shit with independent thinkers....

I'm totally sold on the latter, though. After quite a bit of observance, I'm thoroughly convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you start threads (like this moronic one) for no other reason than to start shit. (yeah, homeboy....your reputation HAS preceded you).

Other than you feeling bold, I see no other reason this thread even exists........

It will not last long.....and I will thoroughly enjoy taking it apart.....
                          The simple fact that it makes no goddamn sense gives me the inside track.
                          Last edited by hambon4lif; 06-05-2010, 04:12 AM. Reason: bobby is a moron!

Comment

• lesfunk
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I don't know about you guys, but I'd be right pissed if somebody went and painted a bad picture of Tiger Woods on my elementary school!
                            http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

....not really sold on the former, holmes!
                              On the plus side, you don't need to be.

I know from purely a watchers standpoint, you create threads like this with the sole intention of starting shit with independent thinkers....
                              That's funny. I don't recall calling any, um, "independent thinkers" out anywhere. I do recall considering it a relevant news story, so...I'll leave you to your own ideals...heh...

I'm totally sold on the latter, though.
                              And well you should be.

After quite a bit of observance,
                              And just exactly how much "observance" have you done, junior?

I'm thoroughly convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you start threads (like this moronic one) for no other reason than to start shit. (yeah, homeboy....your reputation HAS preceded you).
                              Well, I hope this gets better really quick. I don't seem to recall "starting shit" with anybody, but I'm sure you'll be more than happy to point out exactly where I, um...what was it? Oh yes, "started shit" and "called out independent thinkers".

Please, any time you're ready. I'm all eyes open here...

Other than you feeling bold, I see no other reason this thread even exists........
                              Hey, feel free to lock it down if it suits you. Oh...yeah...

It will not last long.....and I will thoroughly enjoy taking it apart.....
                              I'm still waiting for you to even begin. It seems to me that you're more interesting in showing me how big your penis is, and quite frankly it's of little interest to me. Like I said - demonstrate some intelligence you're so aptly professing or you're going to bore me, underling.

The simple fact that it makes no goddamn sense gives me the inside track.
                              Hmm...well, if it 'makes no goddamn sense' to you, this WILL be a short debate, as I'm not here to educate you on the impact of a clear issue of racism alive and well in Prescott, how a member of the city council is clearly endorsing it from public airwaves and how certain laws are encouraging this type of behavior. Quite frankly, if you don't "get it", then you probably could use a much wider world view. Unfortunately, I'm not really of any mind to give you one myself, because frankly, it's not a productive use of my time. And more importantly, amateur poster, it's of no interest to me when it comes to my online entertainment and discussions.

In layman's terms, if you can't connect the fuckin' dots on your own, pal, you're screwed.

So let's see where my "starting shit", and "calling out independent thinkers" happened, and then let's see you "take apart this thread". Frankly, all you've managed to accomplish thus far is making yourself look like a Saturday night drunken fuckwit with no interest in any of the above, only interest in showing everybody how large your balls are and flexing for the crowd while ranting at the top of your lungs about how you're a martial arts expert and can lick any son of a bitch in the bar.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING, Jimmy. BOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

To be 100% honest, I have a bong in my room that's of a LOT more interest to me than that right now, simpleton, so I suggest you choose your path accordingly.

And quickly. My patience level has pretty much ran out, it seems.
                              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...