Holy Shit! Atheists in the US know more about religion than believers do???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Holy Shit! Atheists in the US know more about religion than believers do???

The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
    In US, atheists know religion better than believers. Is that bad?

A new study shows that many devout Americans know less about religion than do atheists. To some observers, it suggests a shallowness of faith. To others, it is evidence that Americans know the spirit better than the letter of religion.

By G. Jeffrey MacDonald, Correspondent
    posted September 28, 2010 at 8: 09 pm EDT

For a highly religious people, Americans have plenty of room to improve their knowledge of religion, according to a new survey that’s stirring debate about the health of faith in America.

The US Religious Knowledge Survey, released Tuesday from the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, found atheists and agnostics know more basic facts about the Bible than either Protestants or Catholics. Among the other findings:

• 57 percent of Protestants can name the Bible’s four gospels.

• 55 percent of Catholics know their tradition teaches that sacramental bread and wine become Christ’s body and blood.

• 15 percent of white evangelicals know Jonathan Edwards participated in the First Great Awakening.

Take Pew's religious quiz: Are you smarter than an atheist?

Based on a May-June survey of more than 3,400 American adults, these findings point to a dearth of religious knowledge in a country where nearly 6 in 10 adults say religion is “very important” in their lives.

“If you can’t even name the four books that tell us about Jesus' teachings and way of life, then you’re in big trouble,” said Fuller Seminary President Richard Mouw. “You don’t know who Jesus is if you don’t even know Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.”

Not all Christian educators are worried, however. Wilhelmina Jenkins, an Atlanta physicist, says people are hungry for knowledge of history and other religions in the adult Bible study class she leads at the Episcopal Church of the Incarnation in Atlanta. She says facts are helpful, but “academic” questions – such as those asked in the Pew survey – don’t reveal much about a person’s understanding of his/her faith tradition.

“I don’t think this survey got to the heart of what most people know about their own religious experience,” Ms. Jenkins said. “It was a very academic view of religion. But If you asked people, ‘What’s the fundamental bottom line in Christianity?’ Most people would tell you, ‘Jesus said to love God and love your neighbor.’ I don’t think most people would have any trouble knowing that.”

This Pew survey comes as Americans consider questions of religious identity and religious freedom in light of a proposed mosque near ground zero in Manhattan. Mr. Mouw argues that meaningful dialogue between Christians and Muslims will prove elusive, despite good intentions, unless people come to master the basics of their own faith traditions – and become at least familiar with the other’s.

“Terminal niceness will not get us through this,” said Mouw, author of "Uncommon Decency: Christian Civility in an Uncivil World." “We need to deal with what’s in the books.”

Other scholars, however, aren’t convinced that knowledge of religious traditions is essential to building interfaith bridges. While such information is helpful, it’s not as key a factor in fostering tolerant views as having a close personal connection with someone of a different faith, according to David Campbell, co-author of "American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us."

Whatever the implications, the survey highlights how Americans often don’t feel tightly bound by one religious tradition or another as they carve out their own belief systems. While Mouw sees this giving rise to “vague spirituality,” others fear that faith practitioners might lose respect if lack of knowledge comes to be seen as lack of seriousness about religion.

“Your knowledge of something tells you how seriously you take it,” said Alan Wolfe, director of the Boisi Center for Religion and American Public Life at Boston College. “If a person is devout, then I ought to respect that devotion and not mock it, to take it seriously. But if the knowledge base of that devotion is as shallow as it seems, then is the respect earned?”

A new study shows that many devout Americans know less about religion than do atheists. To some observers, it suggests a shallowness of faith. To others, it is evidence that Americans know the spirit better than the letter of religion.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

For the record, I got 31 out of 32 on the quiz. It was the only one I had to guess on, and unfortunately guessed wrong.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Anonymous
      Banned
      • May 2004

Pffft, huge discovery.

Atheists ask "why", believers just accept it. Furthermore, believers believe that it's enough to go to church & just sit there not listening to anything. Just saying "I'm a believer" is enough to get them into the kingdom of their fantasy.

Since when do sheep learn? They just follow.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

29/32
        joseph smith... dum dum dum dum dum. i can never unsee that south park ep

Comment

• knuckleboner
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

that's bullshit.

catholics technically get credit so long as their answers agree with the pope's answers...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

26.5/32...

Comment

• Little Texan
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

28/32

Comment

• Little Texan
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                29/32
                joseph smith... dum dum dum dum dum. i can never unsee that south park ep
                I learned alot about Mormonism from that episode, believe it or not.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2004

Verily, My children it is as I hath said here at this board many times. There are many who claim to be My disciples who do not even knoweth My teachings.

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                    Verily, My children it is as I hath said here at this board many times.
                    40,000 times soon.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

So, what is this random comparative religion trivia quiz supposed to prove ??

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Full marks.

Do I get to go to heaven now?

Do they have Black Sabbath records in heaven?
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

No and probably not...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Religion is a family/social phenomena. I went to church as a kid because I was forced to go and still gave the illusion I was still active in the family faith because coming out and saying it was bullshit would have thrown a huge turd into the family punchbowl. Plus, a lot of people get jobs and perks because they are members in a certain faith. You would be amazed how many rich kids stay active because they don't want to be cut off from daddy's money. I've seen it all and to be frank, most people don't belong to any religion because they actually believe in it. It's for social reasons.

As far as atheists go, they take more flack than someone who belongs to a religion and they probably had to make the choice to leave the religion they were raised in so they thought deeply about what they were doing.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              No and probably not...
                              Just Slayer then.....
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...