• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaze
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

College classrooms replace stages for rock stars

By JOHN ROGERS, Associated Press – 28 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – They may fall off the pop charts, some might even lose the muse. But these days old rock stars need not worry about fading away, not when there's a college classroom nearby.

Rock's gangster of love himself, Steve Miller, created some buzz recently when he became an artist-in-residence at the prestigious University of Southern California's Thornton School of Music. But it turns out the guy who famously proclaimed, "I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker" wasn't nearly the first guitar-slinger to move from the stage to the classroom.

Mark Volman
    In this Jan. 20, 2011 photo, Mark Volman teaches a class in music management at Belmont University in Nashville, Tenn. Volman, who was a founding member and manager of the music group The Turtles, is an assistant professor and the coordinator of the entertainment industry studies program at Belmont University .
    (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

Mark Volman, who co-founded the Turtles and later played with Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, runs the entertainment studies department at Nashville's Belmont University these days when he isn't out on the road singing "Happy Together." Lamont Dozier, one third of the legendary songwriting team Holland-Dozier-Holland, which created hits for everyone from Phil Collins to the Supremes, lectures on his craft at USC. Around the country, everyone from punk rockers to doo-wop harmonizers are holding down teaching positions at big-name universities.

"It brings the subject matter to life for the students in a way that a professor, no matter how well intentioned, just can't do," Chris Sampson, dean of USC's music school, says of turning the classroom over to people like Miller. "It makes all the learning go beyond just theory."

Indeed, sometimes the learning even goes beyond music — way beyond music — though the musicians will tell you there's still a connection.
    Greg Graffin, who has a Ph.d in science, for example, has taught evolution and paleontology at UCLA in recent years when he wasn't on the road with the seminal punk rock band Bad Religion.

"I know it sounds crazy, but from my perspective the goal is the same," he says of playing music and teaching science. "The thing about the band is we've always been about asking questions and provoking people to think. We never maintain that we have the answers, and that's very consistent with a scientific pursuit."

Meanwhile, Rob Leonard, whose over-the-top version of "Teen Angel" with Sha Na Na at Woodstock can still be found on YouTube, runs the forensic linguistics department at New York's Hofstra University. He reunited with the group last year for a concert at Hofstra marking the university's 75th year.
    "I like to say I'm one of the very few people in the world who have worked with the FBI and the Grateful Dead," quips Leonard, who has trained FBI agents in how to analyze language for clues in solving crimes.

The musician, who also has a Ph.d, says he really got interested in linguistics after he asked his record label where all the money from one of Sha Na Na's tours had gone — because it hadn't gone to the group.

"They said, 'Read the contract,'" he laughed.

That's the message Volman, who began teaching full-time 14 years ago, says he tries to drive home to starry-eyed students every school year. There's more to succeeding in the music business, he says, than just being a great musician.

"People come in with this television idea that everybody is going to be the next Carrie Underwood," he says. "They don't understand how many nights you're not going to get paid what they said you would and how many nights you're not going to have a room to sleep in because the promoter didn't get it in the rider you signed."

And for those who may think the music business has evolved too much in recent years for a '60s- or '70s-era pop star to have any relevant advice for students, Volman notes "Happy Together" was downloaded approximately 90,000 times last year.

"And I make 79 cents out of the 99-cent download," he tells the students in his music business class. "It's a lot different than the artist who doesn't own his own music getting 9 cents. I tell them that and they say, 'I want to own my own music too.'"

Music publishing is also one of the areas Miller, who lectures at USC part-time as an adjunct professor because of music commitments, has focused on during his time there.

Volman, although he teaches and runs his department, also still finds time to go out on the road about 50 times a year with the Turtles. It's something that gives him stories to tell the students, as well as ideas for projects to assign involving booking tours.

He'd also like to see more veteran music pros cross over to the classroom, agreeing they bring more to the table in terms of real-life experience. The biggest thing holding most back from teaching full-time, he says, is the advanced degrees required by most universities. He didn't earn a master's degree himself until he was in his 50s.

But once those bridges are crossed, say the musicians who have done it, the rest of the transition isn't that hard.

"I don't feel a lot different between being up on stage at a punk concert and being at the podium in a lecture hall," says Graffin.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    sigpic
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Colleges would be better off if they hired Spinal Tap to teach this ridiculous core curriculum nonsense.

Maybe they could resurrect Bon Scott?

Comment

• Blaze
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Which core curriculum?
      "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
      sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Spinal tap might have made CRJU1100 more interesting.
        sigpic

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

They have added so much core nonsense to college it now takes five years to get out in what used to take four years. I'm sorry but you should have the basics down by the time you graduate high school and by the time you hit college it's time to specialize. People go in wanting to take upper level chemistry, biology, and engineering classes to enhance their skills and learning so they can get a good job or learn more about something they are interested in and they waste half their time playing games in classes they don't need and have to pay for.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Failed Musician Knowledge 101

"Ridin` down the highway
            Goin` to a show
            Stop in all the by-ways
            Playin` rock `n` roll
            Gettin` robbed
            Gettin` stoned
            Gettin` beat up
            Broken boned
            Gettin` had
            Gettin` took
            I tell you folks
            It`s harder than it looks"

What Mr. Turtle is teaching is no different from the philosophy of Bon Scott...is it not?

Let's keep what's left of [our] education system in perspective here.

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

If you are taking a course in music business management, what is wrong with having guest speakers from that very business come in and offer the benefit of their experience in the trade? Mark Volman not only has been teaching for around 15 years, he also runs the music department and holds a Masters Degree as class valedictorian upon graduating from Loyola in 1997.

Granted, there are some spectacularly idiotic courses available for people, but the majority of these are not required as part of the core curriculum when pursuing a degree.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Today class, we are going to study my one hit wonder from the late 60's. Since I no longer can make money in the music industry I have now decided to live off of your tuition money, tax money and government grants and claim I'm saving the world in the process.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

The college of rock and roll was Gazzaris, The Whiskey a Go Go, The Roxy, CBGB's, Max's Kansas City, The Troubador, and all the beer dives along the way. Roth explained it pretty good in his book.

If you want to play cello in an orchestra then Julliard is a good place to go.

Comment

• Blaze
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

If one has taken the effort to earn a PhD, I have no issue taking my place as a student. Perhaps, God willing, one day I will have my PhD.
                    Generally, I have not had poor quality educators. Even the one's that chose a corrupt position in their classroom, I found knowledge or award.

One of my professors voted in the Grammy's. He was quite a rag, but it had nothing to do a perceived success or non-success.

I had to Google Bon Scott. Thanks for the Goggle, :lust:, nice shirt.
                    I do not know his philosophy. I would like to read it, if you have a link.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      If you are taking a course in music business management, what is wrong with having guest speakers from that very business come in and offer the benefit of their experience in the trade? Mark Volman not only has been teaching for around 15 years, he also runs the music department and holds a Masters Degree as class valedictorian upon graduating from Loyola in 1997.
                      Because it dumbs down the system to the point of utter nonsense. That's why. How does Mr. Turtle's experience augur with the music biz of today? There are many out there with a Master's in something that don't have a clue as to what they are doing and of course, when I think of punk rock Mr. Turtle is the first that comes to mind.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Blaze
                        I had to Google Bon Scott. Thanks for the Goggle, :lust:, nice shirt.
                        I do not know his philosophy. I would like to read it, if you have a link.
                        Just stick with your Taylor Swift recordings, Blaze. That alone will make your doctorate just.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

It's worse than basket weaving. At least baskets are functional, beautiful, and require skill to make. How many of us can actually make a basket but yet we make fun of it.

Comment

• Blaze
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Like it or not, music is a business. To forgo the knowledge in business is vain.

However, there will always be those sorts that use examples of high school and college dropouts as some sort of justification.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Because it dumbs down the system to the point of utter nonsense. That's why. How does Mr. Turtle's experience augur with the music biz of today? There are many out there with a Master's in something that don't have a clue as to what they are doing and of course, when I think of punk rock Mr. Turtle is the first that comes to mind.
                              Where do you purpose (sp?) to acquire educators?
                              Last edited by Blaze; 02-07-2011, 12:41 PM. Reason: Too early in the morning. yawn...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...