X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrownSound1
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Mar 2003

Les Pauls

You know, it sickens me to see how much a new Les Paul is going for these days. I swear, it is highway robbery when it comes to these prices. They've always been on the upper end so to speak, but fuck, this is ridiculous. I love those guitars, but I'll be damned if I pay the prices Gibson is demanding for a Les Paul Standard. Anyone else think the same way?
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Fuck yeah ! They are over $5000 in Australia !!!
    Strat prices are far more realistic..
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

i had a 1960 classic flametop
      for about a year, nice, but too freakin
      heavy. i much prefer strat's.

Comment

• famac
        Roadie
        • Mar 2004

I have two Les Pauls, a Standard and a Deluxe. If you let someone else pay full price, then buy it from them for Les, you can buy them at half price.

They are heavy, but they also get a much better overall sound for hard rock than a Strat, no matter how you load it.

Comment

• alexpgrimes
          Foot Soldier
          • Jan 2004

I have an Epiphone Les Paul. It's black with a see thru finish and a smoked pick guard. I had to put better pick ups in it. Got some duncans and now it screams. I paid 425.00 for it and but about 175.00 into it. I'd put it up against any of those high priced Les Pauls any time.
          Last edited by alexpgrimes; 06-14-2004, 08:23 AM.
          If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head.

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by famac
            I have two Les Pauls, a Standard and a Deluxe. If you let someone else pay full price, then buy it from them for Les, you can buy them at half price.

They are heavy, but they also get a much better overall sound for hard rock than a Strat, no matter how you load it.
            have to agree, famac.
            i have a dimarzio pro-track
            in the bridge of my strat, and it sounds pretty cool.
            scale length has an effect too,
            so you les paul players can get away with heavier strings.

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by alexpgrimes
              I have an Epiphone Les Paul. It's black with a see thru finish and a smoked pick guard. I had to put better pick ups in it. Got some duncans and now it screams. I paid 425.00 for it and but about 175.00 into it. I'd put it up against any of those high priced Les Pauls any time.
              Im pretty sure the EPI's are a lot lighter too ?
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Re: Les Pauls

Originally posted by Brownsound1
                You know, it sickens me to see how much a new Les Paul is going for these days. I swear, it is highway robbery when it comes to these prices. They've always been on the upper end so to speak, but fuck, this is ridiculous. I love those guitars, but I'll be damned if I pay the prices Gibson is demanding for a Les Paul Standard. Anyone else think the same way?
                Yeah, especially since the QC's a bit shaky these days. Go for a Tokai Love Rock, instead.
                Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

A guitar is worth the price you paid if it makes you enjoy playing, and makes you want to play more everyday.

As far as cost of manufacture, its not a cheaply made thing by any means. If you can't buy a new one, buy used and take your time to buy the right one for you.

AND NEVER order one made new if you don't have to. Weight variances go up and down within the same supply of body and neck blanks from the same tree. That's just the nature of wood! Some will be heavy and some light, so pick and choose, and take your time doing so.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Mar 2003

Hell Gar, I got Les Pauls...I'm just thinking the asking price of one today is ridiculous.

If I were to buy one, I would actually check out probably 6 or so, doing sound and playability comparisons to and pick the best of the lot overall.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2004

I've never played a Les Paul.

You can always identify their sound. I've seen several old pics of Ed playing a Les Paul on stage. I wonder how his sound came through on that.
                      I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

My first guitar shoulda been a Les Paul copy, but I got an SG copy instead.

I found a 76 Les Paul Deluxe in a pawnshop 15 years ago, $200 with case.

Found a 69 or 70 SG in Phoenix 10 years ago, $180. Yanked the pickups and sold it for $200 to Freedom Guitar in Hollywood.

I tend to go for deals, but when looking for something sweet money's no object. My next purchase will be one of those Lonnie Mack Flying V limited editions.. sweetest V I ever played, best one Gibson ever made!

Is there a "drool smiley"? :drool:

Comment

• lucky wilbury

with gibson your mostly paying for the name nothing more. they know they can charge that because people will pay it..

Comment

• freak
                            Sniper
                            • May 2004

Looked at an SG at the Gibson store in Nashville a couple of months ago.

Needless to say, I left the place empty handed.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Mar 2003

I do agree you are paying for a name, but you are also paying for a tone. If that was not the case, then people wouldn't be paying these high prices for those guitars.

Comment

Working...