Thread: Pink Floyd - Another Sign Of The End Times

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Pink Floyd - Another Sign Of The End Times

Been quite some time since I found myself in a record store (simply because many don't exist anymore) when, before my eyes, there appears to be the entire Pink Floyd "Remasters." And it's pretty much their entire boring, redundant, sloppy proggy rock sleepy time music catalog - including a another issues of 'Dark Side' only with a live version recording of this dismal crap for aging stoners for reminiscing purposes would be my best guess.

Anyway, great. Isn't it? Oh, and let's not forget these have been reissued in the digipak format which anyone can guess is how these corporate rock stars (Pink Floyd is owned by EMI now owned by Terra Firma the greedy assholes who threatened Spotify) can rob you with a conscious that what they are doing is somehow environmentally friendly.

So...it's the same old shit - 70 to late 70's recording technology - rehashed, repacked, refucked ready your eager dollar. Nothing like listening to 'Comfortably Numb' with some minor tweakage, reverb modifications and some "bottom end" for your toking pleasure(s). Enjoy, gullible consumer, Davey and Roger need new Jags.

Fuckers.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So are they selling this a big huge box set? And if so, that means you're forced to pay for those crappy Gilmour solo albums that he sold under the Pink Floyd name??
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Quote Originally Posted by Sockfucker View Post
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If they actually included the live "Dark Side" concert, I suppose that's a good thing, but I've had that on bootleg for years, and it sounds most unholy as it is.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Been quite some time since I found myself in a record store (simply because many don't exist anymore) when, before my eyes, there appears to be the entire Pink Floyd "Remasters." And it's pretty much their entire boring, redundant, sloppy proggy rock sleepy time music catalog - including a another issues of 'Dark Side' only with a live version recording of this dismal crap for aging stoners for reminiscing purposes would be my best guess.

Anyway, great. Isn't it? Oh, and let's not forget these have been reissued in the digipak format which anyone can guess is how these corporate rock stars (Pink Floyd is owned by EMI now owned by Terra Firma the greedy assholes who threatened Spotify) can rob you with a conscious that what they are doing is somehow environmentally friendly.

So...it's the same old shit - 70 to late 70's recording technology - rehashed, repacked, refucked ready your eager dollar. Nothing like listening to 'Comfortably Numb' with some minor tweakage, reverb modifications and some "bottom end" for your toking pleasure(s). Enjoy, gullible consumer, Davey and Roger need new Jags.

Fuckers.
    Nice, balanced arguments there.
    Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    So are they selling this a big huge box set? And if so, that means you're forced to pay for those crappy Gilmour solo albums that he sold under the Pink Floyd name??
    Yes. It's called (wait for it) "Discovery" and for just under $200 you can discover that you've been had.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Discovery looks like a big ripoff, since it's just the same old albums you heard 30 years ago. The individual "Immersion" remasters look a little more interesting - though it would obviously cost a lot more in the long run, if they actually put one out for every album. At least there's extra material there (the live Dark Side gig is actually in the Immersion box and not in the Discovery set)

http://www.musicbyday.com/new-pink-f...immersion/929/

Like I said before, I already have this live show, and the Immersion edition of "The Wall" looks like a bunch of stuff I already have as well, but some of the other albums like "Wish You Were Here" look interesting.

Maybe I'll just ask Rick Wright where the masters are and make my own custom copies?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuckers.
    I take it you didn't buy it and smashed all the Led Zepplelin CD's justifying it as cleaning up the environment and CD's are obsolete anyways.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't see the point. Even with 21st Century technology being used for what was recorded in the 70's should remain in the 70's. Zeppy plagiarist Jimmy Boy repackaged himself back in the 90's when he FINALLY realized the whole Coverdale/Page parody was going nowhere. These fucking rock stars, man. When will they learn?

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't like it? Don't fucking buy it. Simple as that.

And for your next thread, Fishfolds. Why not make one about the whoring of the Queen catalogue?
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have never understood the love for this band. They bore me. They also depress me. I can't imagine drinking while listening to their albums because I'd kill myself.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Smoke weed....

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuckers.
    Why don't you log out and go back to finger bangin yerself to your scratchy Cure records....

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    I have never understood the love for this band. They bore me. They also depress me. I can't imagine drinking while listening to their albums because I'd kill myself.
    Good thing you're not an alcoholic. I'm sure this band is responsible for more suicides than what any shitty Cure record could ever do.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whatever....

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pink Floyd is far from the first group to pull this kind of shit. Some people will always re-buy the same music when it comes in a different box with a little booklet.
    I purchased the latest reissue of Diary of a Madman CD, not because I need another copy of that record, but because it came with that Live CD with Randy Rhoads really burning.
    A $200.00 Floyd box set? nah not for me.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Don't like it? Don't fucking buy it. Simple as that.

And for your next thread, Fishfolds. Why not make one about the whoring of the Queen catalogue?
    No argument needed there. Just buy "The Crown Jewels" box and that's all the Queen you ever need

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What gets me is that although they repackage these albums every few years, they never get around to re-releasing Relics in it's original form. The one time the album was reissued on CD, it sounded horrendous and they replaced the damned cover. Of course you could get The Early Singles compilation, but only if you purchased the crummy, overpriced and incomplete box set it came in the last time these guys reissued their albums.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It is true that bands keep re-releasing the same albums over and over as "remastered"....it's such a fucking scam! In all honesty, did you derive any more pleaseure from hearing The Stones "Sticky Fingers" remastered for the 3rd time, than you did hearing it on vinyl????

Of course you didn't. In fact, you got less pleasure out of it, because you paid to hear the same music again!!!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck all y'all

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And you are?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have it (didn't buy it)... they did a nice job remastering the material IMO.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Before becoming engaged in the remastering debate, I'd just like to point out that no-one who likes Pink Floyd cares that you don't...so, the Floyd-bashing is rather pointless (although, interestingly, you cared enough to start a thread on them).

Anyhoo...

For the most part, remasters are kinda pointless, I agree. Unless there is a great improvement in the sound, the album in question has been hard to come by for a significant length of time or there's some really worthwhile extras in there. Last year's remastering of Springsteen's "Darkness on the Edge of Town" was a an example on how to do it...3 CDs and 3 DVDs full of bonus tracks, live footage and documentaries...I can't even fathom the amount of time it took to put it together (I know someone's gonna come out with "yeah, but Bruce sucks"...but you should at least concede that, as a product, it was a worthy product for his fans). There are some albums I would like to see remastered (Prince's back catalogue could do with an overhaul, for example) and recently there's been more albums remastered on 180 gram vinyl, which sounds far superior. But on the whole there is too much of it right now.

On the other hand...perhaps an objective of this kind of remastering prohect is to introduce the artist's music to the next generation? There was a helluva lot of publicity surrounding the Floyd remasters...if it made younger folk sit up and say "what's that all about?", then it's a good thing.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Umm... I already have all the Pink Floyd CD's I want: "Dark Side..." and "The Wall".
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Ponsonby View Post
    Before becoming engaged in the remastering debate, I'd just like to point out that no-one who likes Pink Floyd cares that you don't...so, the Floyd-bashing is rather pointless (although, interestingly, you cared enough to start a thread on them).
    For one, I'm not bashing them. Okay, so I am. And while I think Pink Floyd are one of the most boring, downright sophomoric bands to ever be signed to a major record label why is there a need to put out ANOTHER "Remastered" series? Certainly Roger and his blow job buddy Dave don't need the money (unless there is a new Bentley, airplane or Manhattan apartment they want to buy) and even if I was a Pink Floyd fan I wold be somewhat offended by this move in that I'm being milked for their greed. Plus, this whole "new remastered" format seems to be tweaked for the Mp3/ACC format listening in that no one really buys CD's anymore and this process is most likely geared for downloaded listening. And, and most likely, seeing what EMI did with The Beatles in downloading royalties wanting a lager percentage of profit over other downloads would it be a safe bet that Pinky is doing the same with this series? So why support it?

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So, let me explain myself.

First, I like Pink Floyd. Glimour is amazing. I have all the albums that I want. Will I buy the remasters? No.

Do I buy remasters? Yes.

I buy all the Who remasters. Every one. I mostly buy them for the extra tracks, but the sound is different most of the time, and it is refreshing to hear the different mixes.

I'd like to think that there are mostly open minded people here. I don't like hearing that some band or artist sucks. If someone wants to start a thread by saying someone sucks, it is annoying. I can choose to ignore it, just like you can ignore bands you don't like.

So, as far as this thread is concerned, fuck all y'all.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, some of the Who remasters were justified, because pretty much ANY thing issued on CD by MCA in the late 80's sounded like shit. I swear they used the cassette to master some of those things. But Pink Floyd has already done this to death. And any Pink Floyd box should stop at "The Final Cut". If you like the Gilmour solo albums, then by all means listen to them. Just don't tell me I have to do it, just to get a decent copy of "Meddle".

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LOVE the Floyd......incredible...in their time...which is why the ORB cut that cd with Dave....

"remasters"??? Not a chance.....

Read the Peter Grant Bio....and how he called CDS the greatest scam ever...selling people music they already owned....a 3rd time! (LPs, cassettes, and then CDS)

They've got enough of my money....put anything made before 1990 on AM radio......lets move on

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    are we sure we should be blaming the band for the remasters, and not the record company?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wouldn't buy this but i'll tell you what i would: remasters of the Roger Waters solo albums with bonus material.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Well, some of the Who remasters were justified, because pretty much ANY thing issued on CD by MCA in the late 80's sounded like shit. I swear they used the cassette to master some of those things. But Pink Floyd has already done this to death. And any Pink Floyd box should stop at "The Final Cut". If you like the Gilmour solo albums, then by all means listen to them. Just don't tell me I have to do it, just to get a decent copy of "Meddle".
    Some of those Who remasters "bonus tracks" were actually better then the original CD itself. I didn't mind the live bootlegs on Face Dances but (and they is always one to be found here) the BBC Sessions should have never seen the light of day. If you like Pink Floyd, great. I just never got into that whole mind-numbing proggy-rock shit. Maybe it's before my time, a 70's limey art rock stint. And it's not just limited to Floyd: Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, ELP were just as dull.

See this? Never will understated it, I'm afraid

"Have you walked on the stones of years? When you speak, is it you that hears? Are your ears full? You can't hear anything at all."

Well thank fuck for that.
    Last edited by Kristy; 10-27-2011 at 01:12 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't own one Pink Floyd album. I remember seeing The Wall in the theater and going what the fuck? What a journey into madness that was. A mixture of depressing British culture with drugs basically.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I don't own one Pink Floyd album. I remember seeing The Wall in the theater and going what the fuck? What a journey into madness that was. A mixture of depressing British culture with drugs basically.
    We salute you Major Buzzkill.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For one, I'm not bashing them. Okay, so I am. And while I think Pink Floyd are one of the most boring, downright sophomoric bands to ever be signed to a major record label why is there a need to put out ANOTHER "Remastered" series? Certainly Roger and his blow job buddy Dave don't need the money (unless there is a new Bentley, airplane or Manhattan apartment they want to buy) and even if I was a Pink Floyd fan I wold be somewhat offended by this move in that I'm being milked for their greed. Plus, this whole "new remastered" format seems to be tweaked for the Mp3/ACC format listening in that no one really buys CD's anymore and this process is most likely geared for downloaded listening. And, and most likely, seeing what EMI did with The Beatles in downloading royalties wanting a lager percentage of profit over other downloads would it be a safe bet that Pinky is doing the same with this series? So why support it?
    If this is the sore spot for you that it appears to be (by which I mean being given the choice whether or not buy remastered editions of albums you say you find boring, which means it is unlikely that you'll ever even entertain the idea), then I definitely envy your life.

Actually...does downloading outsell physical sales yet? Last time i checked they were about neck and neck (though, I haven't seen anything in a while). Either way, there will always be a market for physical sales. The 40% increase in vinyl sales proves that.
    Last edited by Shaun Ponsonby; 10-28-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Ponsonby View Post
    If this is the sore spot for you that it appears to be (by which I mean being given the choice whether or not buy remastered editions of albums you say you find boring, which means it is unlikely that you'll ever even entertain the idea), then I definitely envy your life.
    Could care less. This whole remastering bullshit is akin to Lucus and his Star Wars tinkering. Fuck with it here, fuck with it there until what's left is so far removed for the original that you end up fucking with that too just to get it back. And Pink Floyd ARE boring. Boring as shit. Okay, give Gilmour some credit but Waters is a pseudo-political/intellectual asshole Blah blah blah, no one knows what it's like to be a multi-millionaire rockstar like me, blah, blah, blah, my dead father, blah, blah, blah, Thatcher, blah, blah, blah and you buy into this sophomoric bullshit and believe it has meaning.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wonder if my reviews of the Van Halen remasters are still on here somewhere. They're brilliant when played on an HDCD player.
    Last edited by ThatArtGuy; 10-28-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    I brought my pencil!!!

Thread Information