X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

STEVE VAI’S “EAT 'EM and SMILE” DLR MARSHALL FULL STACK

Motherfuck. This is on ebay right now. Commence drooling fellas!

Steve Vai and Vai.com have just posted some interesting items to eBay: the modded Marshall full stack Vai used on David Lee Roth's 1986 Eat 'Em and Smile album and lengthy supporting tour.

The listing includes Vai’s 100-watt, four-input Marshall JMP Plexi head and matching "white face" 4×12 cabinets. The starting price was $1,000.

A portion of the proceeds will go toward the Make-a-Noise Fund, which provides musical instruments to cultivate and preserve musical awareness, development and education.

The 100-watt Marshall JMP was given to Ted Templeman by Steve Stevens during the New York recording sessions for Eat 'Em and Smile. The amp was then modded to Vai’s liking by Lee Jackson, who was known for his Marshall modifications in the '80s and '90s. It was Vai's main amp for the Eat 'Em and Smile sessions and lengthy supporting tour (1986 to 1988).

The Plexi head features an extra gain stage, frequency adjust control, effects loop and master volume. It has been well maintained in Los Angeles and features matching Drake transformers, KT88 quad-matched power tubes and hand-selected pre-amp tubes.

The cabinets are outfitted with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. Both cabinets bear Vai’s signature and certification and are in perfect working condition.

For sale: Steve Vai’s Marshall 100 watt 4 input JMP Plexi & matching “white face” 4×12 cabinets used on David Lee Roth’s “Eat Em and Smile” record and the 1986-1988 David Lee Roth tour.

The 100 watt Marshall JMP was given to Ted Templeman by Steve Stevens during the NYC recording sessions for “Eat Em and Smile.” The amp was then modded to Steve’s liking by Lee Jackson, famous for performing sought after custom modifications to Marshall amplifiers for top artists in the 1980′s and 1990′s. It was Steve's main amp for the "Eat Em and Smile"sessions and used on the entire David Lee Roth tour. The 100 watt plexi head features an extra gain stage, frequency adjust control, effects loop & master volume. The head has been well maintained in Los Angeles and features matching Drake transformers, KT88 quad-matched power tubes & hand-selected pre-amp tubes to Steve’s liking.

The twin 4×12 cabinets are outfitted with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers made in Ipswich, England. Both cabinets bear Steve’s signature, certification & are in perfect working order. This is your chance to bid on a historical piece of equipment used by a legendary performer in their international breakthrough role. This is an official Vai.com auction. All questions will be answered as promptly as possible. A portion of the proceeds will go to he Make-a-noise fund, a 501.3c which provides musical instruments to cultivate and preserve musical awareness, development, and education.

Local pickup in Los Angeles is preferred, intentional shipping is available. Buyer to pay packaging and shipping costs. Click on an thumbnail image below to see detailed images.
    Last edited by sadaist; 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM. Reason: Forgot link
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Why is Vai selling this? Dude can't be hurting for money. Possibly just doing some house cleaning & making room? Weird. A very cool piece of Dave history for sure.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• SNIPER
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

This would be nice to own, thats for sure.

Comment

• SNIPER
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

I had a head like that ounce. I had Ross Robinson do the mod on it in 1990. Wish I still had it.

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Reserve not met at $4500. I wonder what the reserve is or how much it will sell for. Any guesses? $5k? $10k?

Comment

• SNIPER
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

$9,500

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

LOL ..$5.20 expedited shipping. Someone from Australia should buy it just to fuck em over on the s&h.

Ship It & Smile!

Comment

• vandeleur
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Sep 2009

Love at first site ...... Come to momma ..... If I had the cash
                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Wonder what year the head is....late 70s I would say...

Comment

• Etienne
                    Commando
                    • Aug 2010

Did Vai use pedals (Boost or Distortion) with this amp back then? Or delivers the added gain stage enough sustain for lead sounds?
                    Last edited by Etienne; 03-14-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• SNIPER
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                      Wonder what year the head is....late 70s I would say...
                      I would say.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Cool.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Definitely drool-worthy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

Though I have to wonder....the listing says "intentional shipping is available...".

What if I want "unintentional shipping"?

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by SNIPER
                              $9,500
                              That was my exact guess...thief!

Comment

Working...