Thread: Fuck off hollywood!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck off hollywood!

This is a new low.

A trailer for a trailer of a remake of a film barely 20 years old????

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Watched the original Recently and forgot how violent it was ...
    fuck your fucking framing

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    sequels work sometimes.

remakes work never.

at least I've never seen one that wasn't abominable

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I doubt even Kate Beckinsale's hotness can save this one.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wonder how many more bright ideas these people have left...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like Colon fucking Farrell could deliver the line "Consider that a divorce" better than Ahnold. In his dreams maybe.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wait though. Remake? Or another story similar? Colin farrell isn't that bad. I kinda think he is ok in certain roles. (NOT SONNY CROCKETT!) And Kate Beckinsale? Well, I'd eat her asshole. This might be an ok flick if the story is good. God knows the special effects will rock.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    God knows the special effects will rock.
    Looks like a video game to me.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wait though. Remake? Or another story similar?
    It's a remake of the original which, like Minority Report was based on a Philip K. Dick short story.

These two movies, along with A Scanner Darkly, Paycheck, Next, Screamers, and The Adjustment Bureau, are not the most famous movie to be made from a Dick novel. The most iconic movie treatment of his works was based on the book titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Bonus points if you know the name of the movie.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    It's a remake of the original which, like Minority Report was based on a Philip K. Dick short story.

These two movies, along with A Scanner Darkly, Paycheck, Next, Screamers, and The Adjustment Bureau, are not the most famous movie to be made from a Dick novel. The most iconic movie treatment of his works was based on the book titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Bonus points if you know the name of the movie.

Blade Runner
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Total Recall was brilliant. Two great storylines (your memory and the Mars thing) blended into one great story. Not to mention Sharon Stone at her hottest, Arnold in his prime, fantastic villains in Ronny Cox and Michael Ironside and one of the most violent 2 hours in film history—Christ it even had a naked chick with three boobs! It’s a perfect movie!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wait though. Remake? Or another story similar? Colin farrell isn't that bad. I kinda think he is ok in certain roles. (NOT SONNY CROCKETT!) And Kate Beckinsale? Well, I'd eat her asshole. This might be an ok flick if the story is good. God knows the special effects will rock.
    Kate Beckinsdale is pretty fucking hot.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Kate Beckinsdale is pretty fucking hot.
    Ya think ?
    Hot dog and a shake

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post

remakes work never.

What about The Thing?
    Cape Fear
    Ransom
    Scarface
    Last edited by TwoFoolsAMinute; 03-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by minkahed View Post
    Ya think ?
    Yes...yes, I do.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Blade Runner
    Either you Google or useless shit sticks in your mind like it does mine, LOL.

One of my best friends collects science fiction books and some of the Philip K Dick stuff is quite sought after now, including the basis for Total Recall "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". Like many authors, he saw very little money from his works while he was still alive, though he wrote over 40 books.

I'll make this one tougher:

One of my favorite stories involving an author who fell into that category saw the the author in question living in his car when work commenced on making his first full length novel into what I feel is easily one of the best movies ever made. The director and producer felt sorry for the author and gave him a screenwriting and executive producer credits to cut him in on the profits. Sadly he was later sentenced to a six month jail term for stealing some books, where his health became poor, he lost forty pounds and later died at the all too young age of 46.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFoolsAMinute View Post
    What about The Thing?
    Yeah...definitely a quantum leap over the original The Thing From Another World.

Then again, Carpenter wasn't afraid to take the basic premise of the original and use that as a launching pad to do something completely different. Plus, Carpenter assembled a fucking killer cast of character actors.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Either you Google or useless shit sticks in your mind like it does mine, LOL.

One of my best friends collects science fiction books and some of the Philip K Dick stuff is quite sought after now, including the basis for Total Recall "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". Like many authors, he saw very little money from his works while he was still alive, though he wrote over 40 books.

I'll make this one tougher:

One of my favorite stories involving an author who fell into that category saw the the author in question living in his car when work commenced on making his first full length novel into what I feel is easily one of the best movies ever made. The director and producer felt sorry for the author and gave him a screenwriting and executive producer credits to cut him in on the profits. Sadly he was later sentenced to a six month jail term for stealing some books, where his health became poor, he lost forty pounds and later died at the all too young age of 46.
    My old man took me to see Blade Runner when it first hit the theaters, then he bought me the Dick book Electric Sheep. I was too young to really understand most of what I was seeing (I was only 12) in terms of the subtext...things like Gaff's matchstick and tinfoil figures...all that shit blew right by me back then. Electric Sheep was also very different in terms of tone than what ended up onscreen. But I love that fucking movie...always have.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    remakes work never.

Sure you have, though you probably didn't realize it was a remake. The movie is a Hong Kong action flick called Infernal Affairs, which tells the story of a police officer who infiltrates the triads, and a police officer secretly working for the same gang. It was so successful in Hong Kong it generated a prequel and then a sequel. All three movies are available on DVD here in America.

Martin Scorsese then went on to remake the movie under the title The Departed, which I though was a fanfuckingtastic movie.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My old man took me to see Blade Runner when it first hit the theaters, then he bought me the Dick book Electric Sheep. I was too young to really understand most of what I was seeing (I was only 12) in terms of the subtext...things like Gaff's matchstick and tinfoil figures...all that shit blew right by me back then. Electric Sheep was also very different in terms of tone than what ended up onscreen. But I love that fucking movie...always have.
    Very cool. I do think that Dick was quite mad, but I think the most successful authors range from being a little touched in the head to being quite mad.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's a remake of the original.

Lame. The Arnold one was perfect. It had a lady with 3 boobs!

I'm considering getting into science fiction a little and need a couple of starter books. Do I go Heinlen or Asimov? I want to start with some thinner books. Which author & any particular ones I should seek out?

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I'm considering getting into science fiction a little and need a couple of starter books. Do I go Heinlen or Asimov? I want to start with some thinner books. Which author & any particular ones I should seek out?

Wow, that's hard to say Heilen and Asimov, along with Arthur C. Clarke, are considered to be the "Big Three" of science fiction literature. Heinlen was more controversial for his day (and maybe still) and his books have some political/racial/sexual themes in them. I find Asimov's style to be rather direct and simple but quite effective. He was also QUITE prescient about things such as computers and was credited with inventing the term "robotics".

I love to collect books which spawned movies, so I could recommend Azimov's "I, Robot", which is a series of nine short stories.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fellow Alabamian Gustav Hasford, whose book "The Short Timers", along with Michael Herr's "Dispatches", is the basis for the movie "Full Metal Jacket". Hasford's book introduced the Private Joker character and is mostly responsible for the first half of the movie, including the ABSOLUTELY EPIC bootcamp sequences. Herr's book was a non-fictional account of his time as a correspondant for Esquire magazine during the Vietnam war and was the basis for Pvt Joker's experiences in the second half of the movie. Herr also co-wrote the script for the movie.

Hasford did write a second book concerning Joker and his Vietnam experience, called The Phantom Blooper. If you like to read and liked the movie Full Metal Jacket I HIGHLY recommend this one. It shows the Vietnamese as real people and not just props for the hero to knock over like so many Vietnam War novels have. It has to be one of the most interesting books I have ever read.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    sequels work sometimes.

remakes work never.

That's the truth. George Lucas proved that by remaking and ruining all his classic Star Wars movies.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow, that's hard to say Heilen and Asimov, along with Arthur C. Clarke, are considered to be the "Big Three" of science fiction literature. Heinlen was more controversial for his day (and maybe still) and his books have some political/racial/sexual themes in them. I find Asimov's style to be rather direct and simple but quite effective. He was also QUITE prescient about things such as computers and was credited with inventing the term "robotics".

I love to collect books which spawned movies, so I could recommend Azimov's "I, Robot", which is a series of nine short stories.
    Thanks dude. Im gonna pick it up.

I already read all the classics. Hemingway, Steinbeck, London, Stevenson, etc... So I wanted to try something else. Checked out westerns and got a Loius L'Amour book but it just really didn't do it for me. So I'm gonna give this genre a try.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The shitty thing is when a remake or sequel actually kills the original.

For a while for me Highlander 2 did that by being so fucking terrible it also managed to kill the original movie.

In the long term that wasn't so bad. I challenge anyone to watch the opening fight scene in Highlander in the car park now as a grown up person and not be appalled...

I'm not saying that Total Recall was a legendary film it had Arnie in it FFS but it's hard not to feel that Hollywood from paralysed fear of failure is selling a shitty xerox copy of our history to the kids today and that is a fucking disgrace. No originality, no support for original writers, it doesn't give the kids their own history and worst of all for us is that it kills our version for ever.

If these dickholes aren't careful Hollywood is going to go the same way as Detroit...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Totally Sesh. No fucking originality any more. Umm....I can't even remember a good movie that had any amount of freshness to it at all. Look what they did to Indiana Jones. FUCK! Harrison was still a awesome as could be in the movie. but what a horrible script. And Shia Lebouef? Man............way to fucking ruin it.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There is a rumor that the clueless, thought-free and completely uninspired nitwits that work in Hollywood came up with a country music-themed remake of Footloose sometime in the last year or so. I say rumor because no one I have encountered while walking the planet can lay claim to having ever seen the remake, plus the fact that anyone who may have been involved in it's production is denying it ever took place.

Seriously, what sort of drugs are these producers using, and where can I gain access to them? You know, the sort of stuff that after it's been smoked, inhaled or swallowed while watching an old, syndicated rerun on tv, brings you to the stark realization that Cedric The Entertainer and some nitwit you've never heard of would be perfect in a re-do as these guys?

Last edited by chefcraig; 03-28-2012 at 09:52 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    There is a rumor that the clueless, thought-free and completely uninspired nitwits that work in Hollywood came up with a country music-themed remake of Footloose sometime in the last year or so. I say rumor because no one I have encountered while walking the planet can lay claim to having ever seen the remake, plus the fact that anyone who may have been involved in it's production is denying it ever took place.

Seriously, what sort of drugs are these producers using, and where can I gain access to them? You know, the sort of stuff that after it's been smoked, inhaled or swallowed while watching an old, syndicated rerun on tv, brings you to the stark realization that Cedric The Entertainer and some nitwit you've never heard of would be perfect in a re-do as these guys?

I know it exists because it's listed on PPV this month, but I've never seen the first Footloose, FFS - zero interest in the remake.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The absolute worst thing I saw advertised for a movie that made me literally sick to my stomach. Comparing this...

to this....

THE HORROR!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    fuck ricky gervais shaved his beard and played betty ... wtf

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Where's Panamark with his lust for the blonde one (Barney) on the Flintstones? Ha hah!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Where's Panamark with his lust for the blonde one (Barney) on the Flintstones? Ha hah!

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

How about Jules Verne?

FYI - Carpenter's 'The Thing' is the greatest movie ever, except for maybe 'Escape From New York.'
    Last edited by Zing!; 03-28-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Call me Snake.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually, I have no problem remaking Total Recall. I just watched it again recently and it's now horribly, horribly dated.
    I brought my pencil!!!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Too bad it's Colin Farrell.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    How about Jules Verne?

FYI - Carpenter's 'The Thing' is the greatest movie ever, except for maybe 'Escape From New York.'
    carpenters thing is totally up there

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatArtGuy View Post
    Actually, I have no problem remaking Total Recall. I just watched it again recently and it's now horribly, horribly dated.
    yeah i saw it recently it wasnt to bad .. the dated bit was arnies cheesey one liners .. but guess at the time that was part of the fun .. the thing that struck me was how many people got killed and how bloody the gun shots were , the scene were the people from work turn on him and he guns them down i cant remember it being that gory ...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Because the sci-fi field is so broad, I'd heartily recommend rather than seeking out one or two authors at a time (which can be a tedious, time consuming affair), you pick up one of the annual Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies, edited by Gardner Dozois. In each compilation, you'll find dozens of short or novella length stories, and you'll then get a good grip on what you both like and don't care for. The series started in 1984, never disappoints and is still going strong to this day.

Here is an Amazon link for the 2011 edition: LINK

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatArtGuy View Post
    Too bad it's Colin Farrell.
    I find him a bit irritating.

Actors who are 'terrible alcoholics' for a whole 6 or 8 months and then preach how they are now teetotal always do.

Thread Information