Thread: Broke California OKs funding for high-speed rail line

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Broke California OKs funding for high-speed rail line

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- California lawmakers approved billions of dollars Friday in construction financing for the initial segment of what would be the nation's first dedicated high-speed rail line connecting Los Angeles and San Francisco.

The state Senate voted 21-16 on a party-line vote after intense lobbying by Gov. Jerry Brown, Democratic leaders and labor groups.

The bill authorizes the state to begin selling $4.5 billion in voter-approved bonds that includes $2.6 billion to build an initial 130-mile stretch of the high-speed rail line in the Central Valley. That will allow the state to collect another $3.2 billion in federal funding that could have been rescinded if lawmakers failed to act Friday.

"The Legislature took bold action today that gets Californians back to work and puts California out in front once again," Brown said in a statement. He later celebrated with Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg of Sacramento, a fellow Democrat.

Brown pushed for the massive infrastructure project to accommodate expected population growth in the nation's most populous state, which now has 37 million people. He said the project is sorely needed to create jobs in a region with higher-than-average unemployment.

The bill, which passed the state Assembly on Thursday, now heads to Brown for his signature.

The first segment of the line will run from Madera to Bakersfield. The final cost of the completed project from Los Angeles to San Francisco would be $68 billion.

Senate Republicans blasted the decision, citing the state's ongoing budget problems.

"It's unfortunate that the majority would rather spend billions of dollars that we don't have for a train to nowhere than keep schools open and harmless from budget cuts," Sen. Tom Harman, R-Huntington Beach, said in a statement.

Sen. Ted Gaines, R-Granite Bay, said the project would push California over a fiscal cliff.

"It will require endless subsidies and will blast a massive hole into our budget," Gaines said in a statement.

The Bay Area Council, a group of business leaders from the San Francisco Bay and Silicon Valley areas, cheered the vote. The council backed the 2008 statewide bond measure regarding the rail line and had been working to sway legislators in support of the project in recent weeks.

"This is a courageous step forward for California's future," said its president and CEO, Jim Wunderman. "California has grabbed a golden opportunity to build the nation's first high-speed rail system, create the backbone of a new, clean 21st century transportation system and support our future economic growth."

Dan Richard, chairman of the California High-Speed Rail Authority, which is managing the project, said California would have lost billions of dollars in federal aid if the Senate fails to pass the bill before adjourning Friday for a monthlong recess.

Richard said California entered a contract that called for the federal government to provide money for building the Central Valley segment if the state also put up its share.

California was able to secure more federal aid than expected after Florida, Ohio and Wisconsin turned down money.

Before the vote, at least half a dozen Democrats in the 40-member Senate remained opposed, skeptical or uncommitted. Some were concerned about how the vote would impact their political futures, while others were wary about financing and management of the massive project.

One dissenter, Sen. Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, said public support had waned for the project, and there were too many questions about financing to complete it.

"Is there additional commitment of federal funds? There is not. Is there additional commitment of private funding? There is not. Is there a dedicated funding source that we can look to in the coming years? There is not," Simitian said.

In recent days, Democratic leaders included more funding to improve existing rail systems in an effort to entice support for the bullet train. The bill now allocates a total of $1.9 billion in bonds for regional rail improvements in Northern and Southern California. The upgrades include electrifying Caltrain, a San Jose-San Francisco commuter line, and improving Metrolink commuter lines in Southern California.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, this looks like a well thought out plan.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe they should build a one way high-speed rail out of California that doesn't accept welfare debit cards...

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Earthquake jokes all aside, investing in much needed infrastructure improvements is a Most Unholy decision.

Just imagine if Romney was governor. He'd use that money to build CAR ELEVATORS for his fellow billionaires.
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Quote Originally Posted by Sockfucker View Post
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The rail system here isn't bad at all...takes balls to ride the subway in L.A. - sure in NY you might get mugged, but never will you have to worry about the whole thing collapsing on your head!

All for investing in the state's infrastructure, personally. It's an investment in the future, FFS - that the state's finances are dire NOW is kind of irrelevant in the overall picture. It's pretty short-sighted to say "nope, let shit crumble". Plus the tens of thousands of jobs the project will create from the construction of it and then running it can't hurt. And as long as earthquake "proofing" measures are taken (building codes are pretty strict for that), high speed rail is where the country should be going anyway...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's wrong with car elevators ??

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    What's wrong with car elevators ??
    What's wrong is the fact that somebody has stolen so much money through outright theft and tax evasion that he has to build a fucking garage with more than one floor to hold all of his cars.

Now on the other hand, if your kid has this classic Fisher Price toy garage (with built in car elevator), well that's OK, I guess.....

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Now on the other hand, if your kid has this classic Fisher Price toy garage (with built in car elevator), well that's OK, I guess.....

I had one of those, I used to park Hot Wheels inside and land my VertiBird on the roof.
    Last edited by gbranton; 07-06-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    The rail system here isn't bad at all...takes balls to ride the subway in L.A. - sure in NY you might get mugged, but never will you have to worry about the whole thing collapsing on your head!

All for investing in the state's infrastructure, personally. It's an investment in the future, FFS - that the state's finances are dire NOW is kind of irrelevant in the overall picture. It's pretty short-sighted to say "nope, let shit crumble". Plus the tens of thousands of jobs the project will create from the construction of it and then running it can't hurt. And as long as earthquake "proofing" measures are taken (building codes are pretty strict for that), high speed rail is where the country should be going anyway...

japan's weren't shitty
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The infrastructure in this country needs updating, especially the bridges....

But I'm sure if another bridge collapses like it did in MN, that'll be Obama's fault too....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post

But I'm sure if another bridge collapses like it did in MN, that'll be Obama's fault too....
    shit, i'm sure some blame him for riverbanks not bein' high enough to stop flooding

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post

It's amazing that Pawlenty even has a snowball's chance in my front yard of being Mittens' running mate after that disaster. Of course if it weren't for that, he wouldn't really be known for anything at all.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mittens and Paws ??

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's funny when hicks like Elvis believe we should behind the rest of the industrialized world in infrastructure development...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's a high speed train gonna do in California, get the illegals and the welfare bums like asshale to the welfare office and emergence rooms quicker on the taxpayer dime ??

But mark my words...

This project is going to turn into the most bloated construction project in California history and will be prohibitively expensive to ride...If it's ever completed...

BTW, the trains are made in China...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    welfare bums like asshale
    That offer to compare resumes is still open fucktard... believe me you lose.

And what's an "emergence" room, idiot?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A taco, I mean typo..

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You're just jealous because you can't put high speed rail in a swamp...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You should see the huge new toll bridges over the swamp to get the oilfield equipment in and out of the Gulf...

I drove down there late last night...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice. To answer your question about what it'd do for CA, how about for starters massively cutting down on commuter traffic -and by getting those thousands of cars off the road every day, helping the environment?

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Nice. To answer your question about what it'd do for CA, how about for starters massively cutting down on commuter traffic -and by getting those thousands of cars off the road every day, helping the environment?
    If it would actually serve that purpose I would be all for it but I don't think it will.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Helping the environment is hardly a reason to spend money on a hugely expensive train when there is no money...

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ok, I meant I'd be all for it IF the money existed.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    If it would actually serve that purpose I would be all for it but I don't think it will.
    How wouldn't it? In L.A. alone Metro ridership is up like 300% in the past few years, especially with gas prices as they are. The train to Hollywood and Downtown is usually full.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is like if jhale borrowed money to finance a super expensive bus to commute people who are looking for work from one Taco Bell to another when there are no job openings at any of them...

But hey, it's helping the environment...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What the fuck is it with you and Taco Bell, weirdo?? Uh, how about all the people that are already employed and commuting daily, asshat? So, you're really going to sit in Louisiana and declare it a bad idea because of your uninformed perception of what the need is, or will be in the future?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's a high speed train gonna do in California, get the illegals and the welfare bums like asshale to the welfare office and emergence rooms quicker on the taxpayer dime ??

But mark my words...

This project is going to turn into the most bloated construction project in California history and will be prohibitively expensive to ride...If it's ever completed...

BTW, the trains are made in China...
    Where does it say they were made in China?

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    wisconsin's were gonna be from spain, i think

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    NY's are from Bombardier (Canada) and another company...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why do they need a super expensive train if they are commuting now ??

Most people will chose to stay in their cars where they have considerably more freedom and don't want to be harassed by the TSA...

And you must know there will be TSA checkpoints before boarding the train...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

You must know you have no clue what the F you're talking about, yes?

Why do they need a super expensive train if they are commuting now ??

Most people will chose to stay in their cars where they have considerably more freedom and don't want to be harassed by the TSA...

And you must know there will be TSA checkpoints before boarding the train...

You sir, are a paranoid fucktard. There are guards at the stations, but it's not like the fucking airport, FFS. But I'll take a 15-minute train ride nonstop over sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour any day.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    NY's are from Bombardier (Canada) and another company...
    Bombardier just signed a deal to build trains for the next 10 years in China, and they have been in past trouble for defective parts made in China...

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    aah, all that aussie coal and iron ore making the world a better place...

smell that son? money.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well for one thing the high-speed rail will keep asshole drivers and poor people driving disintegrating cars off the road. Would ELVIS feel better about a freeway overpass collapsing during an earthquake instead, not to mention highways collapsing near the fault line?

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post
    Well for one thing the high-speed rail will keep asshole drivers and poor people driving disintegrating cars off the road. Would ELVIS feel better about a freeway overpass collapsing during an earthquake instead, not to mention highways collapsing near the fault line?
    Why not? He was perfectly fine with levees collapsing (due to neglect) and thousands of (mostly black) people drowning in his own back yard.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd rather bee in a car rather than trapped in a train during an earthquake...

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    bio diesel trains could refuel at each taco bell

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    bee in a car
    i had one of those big motherfucker huntsman spiders drop into my lap once at highway speed, off the sun visor.

that's a character building experience, i can tell you.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Why not? He was perfectly fine with levees collapsing (due to neglect) and thousands of (mostly black) people drowning in his own back yard.
    Uhhhhh. No. I know that's the impression given on MSNBC or wherever, but the FACTS are a little different. Of the 818 fatalities in which race could be determined, 55% were black, 40% white, not what I'd call "mostly black". Now age is another story altogether, 85% were more than 51 years of age and almost half were older than 75.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index....mobRedir=false

Thread Information