Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Arrow Papa John’s Founder To Raise Price Of Pizza Due To ‘Obamacare’

LINK
    WASHINGTON (CBSDC) — Papa John’s warns it will have to raise the price of its pizzas due to President Obama’s health care law.

John Schnatter, CEO and founder of Papa John’s, said pizza will cost up to 14 cents more when the Affordable Care Act goes into effect in 2014.

“We’re not supportive of Obamacare, like most businesses in our industry. But our business model and unit economics are about as ideal as you can get for a food company to absorb Obamacare,” Schnatter said in a conference call during last week’s shareholder’s meeting, according to Politico.

Schnatter later added: “If Obamacare is in fact not repealed, we will find tactics to shallow out any Obamacare costs and core strategies to pass that cost onto consumers in order to protect our shareholders best interests,”

According to Pizza Marketplace, there are nearly 4,000 Papa John’s restaurants in all 50 states and 33 countries.

Schnatter, a Romney supporter, held a private fundraiser for the GOP presidential candidate at his Kentucky home in April.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm sorry but did you just start a thread about a pizza going up in price by 14 fucking cents?

In other news my cat licked its ass twice yesterday.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I'm sorry but did you just start a thread about a pizza going up in price by 14 fucking cents?

In other news my cat licked its ass twice yesterday.
    Because of some wealthy cocksucker pissing and moaning about how he has to dish out healthcare to his workers?

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Because of some wealthy cocksucker pissing and moaning about how he has to dish out healthcare to his workers?
    No shit, eh? Who gives a fuck about the labourers as long as the owners are making their $$. Capitalism at its finest...
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    No shit, eh? Who gives a fuck about the labourers as long as the owners are making their $$. Capitalism at its finest...
    Do you have a better system than capitalism? Name it.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I knew you wouldn't realize that the main subject of the thread is not about pizza.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    Do you have a better system than capitalism? Name it.
    Capitalism is it.

But...Capitalism that is not so unbalanced.

Unions....not the crazy out of control shit ones...but regular Unions help bring awareness and shape labour laws...and as a matter of fact Federal Law.
    Therefore Capitalism that has the freedom to give it's workers a choice.

The extremes at both ends are destructive.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I knew you wouldn't realize that the main subject of the thread is not about pizza.
    But...if the price goes up 14 cents to pay for costs...big deal.

That is Capitalism....and that is the point.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Meh, it's shit pizza anyways.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Much like we know you don't realize nobody besides you gives a shit about Papa John's shitty pizza. He's crying about FOURTEEN CENTS??? The horror! He's an idiot and so are you for starting this thread.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No it's about the manipulation of a non story.

Key factoids in this one are

a) The words 'up to 14 cents more'. Up to includes the figure 'fuck all' more.

b) The way they use a figure for the price but not a percentage. When you try and make something look big you use the number. Like in the other thread where I posted 130 kids die in firearm accidents I gave the figure not the percentage of all kids.

You should also notice that he doesn't say which pizza will go up in price 'up to 14 cents'.

If he is talking about a standard large pizza, those are $18 so another better way to word this earth shattering news is that Papa Johns pizza will increase in price less than 0.7% due to Obamacare.

I'm going to have to start charging you for these little nuggets of wisdom...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 08-09-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How much of that $0.14 is going to a PAC to try to buy Romney's election? Boy oh boy, Obama's war on the middle class! Forcing some complete massive douche-nozzle who looks like a socially awkward grimacing dickwad in all his awful fucking commercials to pass on the charges to us all of us (but not me, I wouldn't order his cardboard crusted pile of cheap cheese and generic tomato sauce if I were starving). Oh, the humanity! (or lack of it in Papa Johnson's)...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Agreed. Seriously folks, if you've ever tasted a Papa John's "pizza-like" product, you would care less one way or the other if it costed more to produce it, let alone if the company remained in business or not. And if you care to express a love of capitalism, why not do so by supporting your own local mom and pop run pizzerias?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Minimum Wage Study Torpedoes another Right Wing Talking Point

The current federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour will yield a full-time worker the grand total of $15,080 per year and he rarely receives insurance coverage, retirement or other benefits beyond the FICA, Medicare, and unemployment taxes the employer is required to pay. The employee, most likely in that 50% of the population that conservatives insist “pay no taxes”, must also pay FICA and Medicare taxes, netting $14,228 per year at the current reduced payroll tax rates.

A study released by the National Employment Law Project (NELP), however, shows that it is big corporations not small businesses that benefit from low-wage workers. “Big Business, Corporate Profits, and the Minimum Wage,” singles out McDonald’s, Wal-Mart, and Yum! Brands as among the large and profitable companies which employ 66 percent of low-wage workers.

Christine Owens, executive director of NELP said “While those businesses have emerged from the recession with strong profits, their lowest-paid workers are still struggling to make ends meet. It’s deeply worrisome that the very businesses that can most afford to pay fair wages and boost consumer demand are also driving the stagnant wage growth that is holding the economy back.”

And in fact it is more than holding the country back. It is costing state and federal governments millions to subsidize the employees of these profitable businesses. The stories of Wal-Mart employees on food stamps smack of urban legend, but they are not. A 2009 study by the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Service found that 15,000 Wal-Mart employees were receiving Medicaid. The nation’s largest civilian employer was not the only welfare queen. In June of that year Ohio paid $28.5 million for Medicaid, $1.4 million for food stamps, and $10.9 million for Welfare for employees of the state’s 50 largest employers. Workers with salaries at or near the poverty line are also eligible for subsidized housing, reduced school lunches, and home heating assistance.

(contrary to the right wing meme about part-time teenage workers, the Department of Labor reports that three quarters of minimum wage earners are 20 years or older)

NELP said of the 50 low-wage employers it examined, 92 percent were profitable in 2011 and 78 percent had been so for the past three years. Revenues are higher than before the recession for 75 percent and profits are higher for 63 percent. In 2011 the 50 companies employed a total of nearly 8 million workers.

These profits were reported in the quarter in which NELP says the average weekly paychecks fell by 1.7 percent and that the minimum wage, which has not been raised in three years, is worth 30 percent less than it was in 1968. Had it kept pace with the cost of living since 1968 the minimum wage would be $10.55

the average CEO pay in these low-wage companies was $9.4 million and the 50 largest ones returned a stunning $174.8 billion to their shareholders over the past five fiscal years – in many cases thousands of dollars per employee per year.

getting worse. In 2011, 52.1 percent of low-wage workers worked in five sectors: Food Services, Accommodation, Retail, Administrative Services, and Arts, Entertainment, and 7 out of the top 10 sectors expected to grow the fastest over the next decade are low-wage industries.

http://www.politicususa.com/minimum-...ing-point.html

Papa John's $0.14 scream is nothing more than an attempt to dissuade what he perceives as stupid Americans, which he hopes are also brainwashed.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Agreed. Seriously folks, if you've ever tasted a Papa John's "pizza-like" product, you would care less one way or the other if it costed more to produce it, let alone if the company remained in business or not. And if you care to express a love of capitalism, why not do so by supporting your own local mom and pop run pizzerias?
    Oh, I does. I know you're in Florida, but I think you'd love the food here...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Name a local joint that's better. I knew this thread would turn into a PJ slugfest, even though the thread is not about pizza, Papa John's, or even 14 fucking cents. Let's see if somebody "gets it."

BTW....I grill my own pizza. Yeah, I said grill. Try it. LINK

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Oh, I does. I know you're in Florida, but I think you'd love the food here...
    Friend, I was born up there near you, so I hear what you are saying. And not for nothing, but the best local pizzerias here are run by folks that just so happen to be transplants from that very same region!
    Last edited by chefcraig; 08-09-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spell

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Name a local joint that's better.

Joe Peeps. Best pizza in Los Angeles.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    A study released by the National Employment Law Project (NELP), however, shows that it is big corporations not small businesses that benefit from low-wage workers. “Big Business, Corporate Profits, and the Minimum Wage,” singles out McDonald’s, Wal-Mart, and Yum! Brands as among the large and profitable companies which employ 66 percent of low-wage workers.

http://www.politicususa.com/minimum-...ing-point.html

Papa John's $0.14 scream is nothing more than an attempt to dissuade what he perceives as stupid Americans, which he hopes are also brainwashed.

That is wrong on so many levels.

Small business owners benefit greatly from it too.

Everyone likes to focus on Wal Mart and McDonalds...how about the small ma and pop stores...cleaning companies ect.

Fact is you don't go to a pizza joint or Wal Mart looking for a career.

But...I worked alot of odd jobs during high school and summers off...min wage sucked but so did no money...and I got hired because the farmers or contracters could afford to pay it...all small business people.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WACF View Post
    Maybe not, but a lot of older people end up working at places like Wal Mart because they can't find a job anywhere else and can't afford to retire. They deserve to be treated fairly.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Maybe not, but a lot of older people end up working at places like Wal Mart because they can't find a job anywhere else and can't afford to retire. They deserve to be treated fairly.
    Never said they did not....

Edit.

What should be done for senoirs are things like lower taxes, income splitting with a spouse to drive down your bracket.

Wal Mart exists because consumers demand low prices...we do it to ourselves.

I do my best to shop ethically but it is tough sometimes.
    I just replaced a toilet with a Toto...happy as hell to see it was made in the US.
    Last edited by WACF; 08-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That is wrong on so many levels.

Small business owners benefit greatly from it too.

Everyone likes to focus on Wal Mart and McDonalds...how about the small ma and pop stores...cleaning companies ect.

But...I worked alot of odd jobs during high school and summers off...min wage sucked but so did no money...and I got hired because the farmers or contracters could afford to pay it...all small business people.
    getting worse. In 2011, 52.1 percent of low-wage workers worked in five sectors: Food Services, Accommodation, Retail, Administrative Services, and Arts, Entertainment, and 7 out of the top 10 sectors expected to grow the fastest over the next decade are low-wage industries.

A lot of people do. These are .. err what used to be manufacturing jobs in America. Notice at most the joints they advertise "come get a career with us" or some such. Fact is the manager positions at those places do not pay much more, maybe $10 an hour.

the minimum wage, which has not been raised in three years, is worth 30 percent less than it was in 1968. Had it kept pace with the cost of living since 1968 the minimum wage would be $10.55 – and would still leave a family of four below the poverty line.
    $10.55 an hour is often considered good pay by folks.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I just replaced a toilet with a Toto...happy as hell to see it was made in the US.
    You didn't get a Ferguson?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What should be done for senoirs are things like lower taxes, income splitting with a spouse to drive down your bracket.
    How would that help elderly widows and widowers?

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How would that help elderly widows and widowers?
    I know what you mean.

If you are cursed with a lower income then no tax for senoirs?
    Sometimes life takes some horrible swings at you...not eveyone can pull out.
    I think it's fair...you pay all your life...why pay in your golden years.

Another thought on this is once again Unions.

If you could manage to pull off Unionizing Wal Mart you could in fact manage to get some benefits...prices would go up...but that is capatilism...if people stop shopping there prices will drop.

On one note....at least in our system the elderly have a means to get employment...we have choices and options in our world...no so much in other parts of the world.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LOL...

Hate to say it but my thoughts were not too far off from this...

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Schnatter's been giving money to Repukes for years, but he's never gone public with right wing talking points.

I think what's really going on here is he wants to tap in to some of that hate money thats gone to Chick-Phobi-A the last few weeks.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Name a local joint that's better. I knew this thread would turn into a PJ slugfest, even though the thread is not about pizza, Papa John's, or even 14 fucking cents. Let's see if somebody "gets it."

BTW....I grill my own pizza. Yeah, I said grill. Try it. LINK
    You mean in VA Beach Brian?

That's easy, get the Siciilian at Y'Not....

Or I recently got a Chicago-style pie at Uno, was quite good as well....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Schnatter's been giving money to Repukes for years, but he's never gone public with right wing talking points.

I think what's really going on here is he wants to tap in to some of that hate money thats gone to Chick-Phobi-A the last few weeks.

Sounds like it, but couldn't he have come up with something a little better than "I might have to raise my pizza price FOURTEEN CENTS!!!"?

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sounds like it, but couldn't he have come up with something a little better than "I might have to raise my pizza price FOURTEEN CENTS!!!"?
    Are you kidding? This is a guy who believes "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza" is an inventive slogan.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So the gist is.........

Company might have to raise prices as opposed to absorbing costs, so as to shift the burden from the shareholders to the consumer?

Well obviously if this isnt a political statement [wink, wink] and sincerely a business decision on the part of this company, then they obviously have concluded that the market price of their product can handle the increase without affecting revenues.

Isn't this how all businesses work, everyday?

Where's the story?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    So the gist is.........

Company might have to raise prices as opposed to absorbing costs, so as to shift the burden from the shareholders to the consumer?

Well obviously if this isnt a political statement [wink, wink] and sincerely a business decision on the part of this company, then they obviously have concluded that the market price of their product can handle the increase without affecting revenues.

Isn't this how all businesses work, everyday?

Where's the story?
    Quit stealing my thoughts!!

A price increase of 0.14 per pizza sure doesn't sound like the business killer Obama-care has been made out to be.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

If ya can't beat 'em...
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LINK
    WASHINGTON (CBSDC) — Papa John’s warns it will have to raise the price of its pizzas due to President Obama’s health care law.

["... pass that cost onto consumers in order to protect our shareholders best interests,”]
    shareholders = the exalted that must be taken care of
    consumers and employees = let them pound sand

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The same asshole put out propaganda to the employees that franchises would close and people would lose their jobs if Obamacare passed.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I lost count of how many electrical contractors I've been interviewed by who've bitched about fuckin' Obamacare.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You shall hence be known as Flushmeister. hehe.

Again...what the right is most afraid of is that for once in the U.S. of A., people will actually get something for their taxes, instead of saving up for corporate bailouts and then seeing no cut.

You give $.14. Your grandma can get her broken leg fixed.

They know once that Cat is out of the Bag.....they will never have it the same again. No more robbing the poor to give to the rich.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 08-09-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Are you kidding? This is a guy who believes "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza" is an inventive slogan.

And there ya have it...

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My great niece manages a Papa Johns in Texas. They pay their drivers 4.25 an hour plus a buck per delivery for gas. The company charges about two bucks per order extra for delivery. On top of that they expect the drivers to hang coupons on at least two houses per delivery. I'm sure if Papa John could he'd pay them nothing and still expect them to hang the coupons on at least two houses per delivery. Tips alone should be good enough.

Thread Information