• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

U.S. Seen as Biggest Oil Producer After Overtaking Saudi Arabia and Russia

Bloomberg

U.S. production of crude oil, along with liquids separated from natural gas, surpassed all other countries this year with daily output exceeding 11 million barrels in the first quarter, the bank said in a report today. The country became the world’s largest natural gas producer in 2010. The International Energy Agency said in June that the U.S. was the biggest producer of oil and natural gas liquids.

“The U.S. increase in supply is a very meaningful chunk of oil,” Francisco Blanch, the bank’s head of commodities research, said by phone from New York. “The shale boom is playing a key role in the U.S. recovery. If the U.S. didn’t have this energy supply, prices at the pump would be completely unaffordable.”

Oil extraction is soaring at shale formations in Texas and North Dakota as companies split rocks using high-pressure liquid, a process known as hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. The surge in supply combined with restrictions on exporting crude is curbing the price of West Texas Intermediate, America’s oil benchmark. The U.S., the world’s largest oil consumer, still imported an average of 7.5 million barrels a day of crude in April, according to the Department of Energy’s statistical arm.

An oil drilling rig stands on the Bakken formation in Watford City, North Dakota.

Surpassing Saudi

U.S. oil output will surge to 13.1 million barrels a day in 2019 and plateau thereafter, according to the IEA, a Paris-based adviser to 29 nations. The country will lose its top-producer ranking at the start of the 2030s, the agency said in its World Energy Outlook in November.

“It’s very likely the U.S. stays as No. 1 producer for the rest of the year” as output is set to increase in the second half, Blanch said. Production growth outside the U.S. has been lower than the bank anticipated, keeping global oil prices high, he said.

Partly as a result of the shale boom, WTI futures on the New York Mercantile Exchange remain at a discount of about $7 a barrel to their European counterpart, the Brent contract on ICE Futures Europe’s London-based exchange. WTI was at $103.74 a barrel as of 4:13 p.m. London time.

Islamist Insurgency

“The shale production story is bigger than Iraqi production, but it hasn’t made the impact on prices you would expect,” said Blanch. “Typically such a large energy supply growth should bring prices lower, but in fact we’re not seeing that because the whole geopolitical situation outside the U.S. is dreadful.”

Territorial gains in northern Iraq by a group calling itself the Islamic State has spurred concerns that oil flows could be disrupted in the second-largest producer in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries after Saudi Arabia. Exports from Libya have been reduced by protests, while Nigeria’s production is crimped by oil theft and sabotage.

Libya will resume exports as soon as possible from two oil ports in the country’s east after taking back control from rebels who blocked crude shipments for the past year, Mohamed Elharari, spokesman for the state-run National Oil Corp., said by phone yesterday from Tripoli.

The U.S. will consolidate its position as the world’s biggest producer in the coming months if returning Libyan supply limits the need for Saudi barrels, said Julian Lee, an oil strategist who writes for Bloomberg News First Word. The observations he makes are his own.

Record Investment

“There’s a very strong linkage between oil production growth, economic growth and wage growth across a range of U.S. states,” Blanch said. Annual investment in oil and gas in the country is at a record $200 billion, reaching 20 percent of the country’s total private fixed-structure spending for the first time, he said.

A U.S. Commerce Department decision to allow the overseas shipment of processed ultra-light oil called condensate has fanned speculation the nation may ease its four-decade ban on most crude exports. Pioneer Natural Resources Co. and Enterprise Products Partners LP will be allowed to export condensate, provided it is first subject to preliminary distillation, the companies said June 25.

The decision was “a positive first step” to dispersing the build-up of crude supply in North America, Bank of America said in a report on June 27. The U.S. could potentially have daily exports of 1 million barrels of crude, including 300,000 of condensate, by the end of the year, according to a June 25 report from Citigroup Inc.

• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

At what cost though?

Is it worth destroying every drop of drinkable water in this country to extract this toxic goo from the ground, only to make two Stalin funded treasonous bastards richer, and create earthquakes in parts of the country that have never had earthquakes before.

And what benefit is any of this bullshit to the average American? Last time I checked, fucking gasoline was STILL $4 goddamn dollars per gallon.

Why don't we just get over the addiction to fucking 19th century technology, and FUCK whose profit margins it hurts?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

That profit margin is what increases wages...

Something the Libtards like you want to do, but with no money...

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
        That profit margin is what increases wages...

Something the Libtards like you want to do, but with no money...
        Money is Devilly, Elvis...and profit margins are straight out of Hell!
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Anyway, if we can produce more oil than we import, does that mean we can nuke the next country that has their fucking backwards ass peasants running around screaming "Death to America"?? Oh wait, we'd have to nuke half of our own country...probably not a good idea.

Comment

• Angel
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Most of your imports come from Canada. Your increase in production has our oil producers a little worried....good. We need to keep more here and upgrade our refineries. We ship crude to you and then buy refined from you. Ridiculous...
            "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD

Why don't we just get over the addiction to fucking 19th century technology, and FUCK whose profit margins it hurts?
              What 19th century technology?

What's your better idea?

I can't wait to hear this one.

I sat in a hotel bar one night while traveling for work, and talked at length to a very wealthy battery guy, that is supplying batteries to Tesla, as well as other automobile companies. I was surprised how much his thoughts were similar to mine. But hey, he's making money hand over fist, so why would he argue with the fake "green" propaganda?

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Angel
                Most of your imports come from Canada. Your increase in production has our oil producers a little worried....good. We need to keep more here and upgrade our refineries. We ship crude to you and then buy refined from you. Ridiculous...
                What your faggy cuntry needs to do, is stay on our good side. Our bitches to the North need our protection. We stole Lord Stanley's Cup from you already. If we want your oil, we'll take that too. Guess what you guys can do about it?
                N O T H I N G!

Is that a vacuum cleaner salesman knocking on your door?

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                  What 19th century technology?

What's your better idea?

I can't wait to hear this one.

I sat in a hotel bar one night while traveling for work, and talked at length to a very wealthy battery guy, that is supplying batteries to Tesla, as well as other automobile companies. I was surprised how much his thoughts were similar to mine. But hey, he's making money hand over fist, so why would he argue with the fake "green" propaganda?
                  Of course he's making money. Batteries cost money, nobody is going to dispute that. But overall it's still a far more sustainable idea than a combustion engine designed in the 1800s, burning a fuel which is in short supply, and no longer readily available without either needless wars or even more needless damage to the planet.

Ultimately, if you had a Tesla (or any other electric powered vehicle) plugged into a home charging station that was powered by solar panels, a windmill, or both, you could be driving your car for "free". Sure you would have to buy new batteries eventually, and probably even change/upgrade the charging station, but compared to the maintenance costs saved on the car itself, not to mention the lack of fuel costs, it would be a huge gain in the long run. And that's just personal gain. Not even counting that environmental stuff that you probably don't give a fuck about.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VAiN
                    Use my hand, I won't look
                    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Von Halen

Is that a vacuum cleaner salesman knocking on your door?
                    That one gave me the lulz.
                    Originally posted by wiseguy
                    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• VAiN
                      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I don't give a shit where we get it, or how we get it.. I'm fucking tired of paying over $4 a gallon at the pump.
                      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                        Of course he's making money. Batteries cost money, nobody is going to dispute that. But overall it's still a far more sustainable idea than a combustion engine designed in the 1800s, burning a fuel which is in short supply, and no longer readily available without either needless wars or even more needless damage to the planet.

Ultimately, if you had a Tesla (or any other electric powered vehicle) plugged into a home charging station that was powered by solar panels, a windmill, or both, you could be driving your car for "free". Sure you would have to buy new batteries eventually, and probably even change/upgrade the charging station, but compared to the maintenance costs saved on the car itself, not to mention the lack of fuel costs, it would be a huge gain in the long run. And that's just personal gain. Not even counting that environmental stuff that you probably don't give a fuck about.
                        Fuel is not in short supply. That's politics at work.

How much damage will these batteries cause to the planet? How will they be disposed of? Do you really believe what's inside these batteries, is "green"? Do you really believe we need to go to war for oil? Between us and our bitches to the North, we are sitting on more oil than we could ever use, or get from the towel heads.

Do you know how many solar panels it would take to sufficiently keep a charge in a vehicle? Do you know how "green" it isn't to build a solar panel? Do you know how little power the windmills really produce? Do you know the maintenance issues on these windmills? Do you know they can't even keep the fucking things clean? Do you know mold is growing on those windmills at an alarming rate, and they can't properly or safely clean them, because they are so big?

We don't have enough power in our grids right now. How are we going to supply all the power for the batteries, since your other ideas make little sense? Build more power plants? Hey, great idea. We need to do that. But not because we need to recharge batteries in electric cars.

Battery powered cars are a political scam, designed to grease the pockets of the lobbyists and politicians.

The internal combustion engine is by far, the most efficient, and environmentally friendly way to power vehicles. Don't believe the scare tactics of your oh so honest government. They've done nothing more than figure out even one more way to scare people into buying into their bullshit. Key word. BUYING.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'm in the middle, literally, on this one. We have an '08 Altima Hybrid. It takes fuel and there's no plugging in, but it is the running engine that charges the battery. For local driving under 30 mph, we're cruising on battery power. So this car gets decent mileage, cuntsidering all of the kid jockeying around being done. I don't know how crazy I'd be about owning a straight up electric car. Those have no giddy up.

Comment

• VAiN
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            I don't know how crazy I'd be about owning a straight up electric car. Those have no giddy up.
                            A Tesla will blow the doors off of most cars.. there's no waiting for the engine to spin, it's 100% power on demand. With that said, I'll stick to my 400+HP 5.0 Mustang.. the electric cars cost 2-3 times as much and don't sound 1/100th as cool.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                              I don't give a shit where we get it, or how we get it.. I'm fucking tired of paying over $4 a gallon at the pump.
                              That's what I'm talkin about!! We should have sucked Iraq drier than a nun's pussy by now.

Comment

Working...