Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 92

Thread: AVH Autobiography 'Brothers' Due In October

  1. #41
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Speaking of Greg, was anyone here aware, before reading Van Halen Rising, that Ed nearly ODíed at the Golden West Ballroom in Ď76? Pretty sure Al was instrumental in saving his kid brotherís ass. Wonder if thatíll come up in his book.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  2. #42
    Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Catfish's Avatar
    Member No
    195
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 04:52 PM
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    898
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    236
    Thanked 269 Times in 154 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Yeah I agree maybe the big job on Dave's book was the editing.

    I'm not sure either of the Van Halen brothers were any great loss to rocket science when they became rock musicians to be honest and that's probably part of why they were so much better than any of us could ever be. Alex I think was clearly the smarter of the brothers.
    In DLR's book he credits Paul Scanlon for editing it down from 1,200 pages (to 359).
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  3. #43
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    11,946
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    4,611
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I'm guessing Hagar is shitting his pants right now...
    although that in and of itself might have nothing to do with the book...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  4. #44
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    32,783
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,438
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts


    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    although that in and of itself might have nothing to do with the book...
    I think it was to do with the tacos at the Cabo Wabo. I bet they make you ass blast so hard it feels like the toilet bowl is going to blow apart.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  5. #45
    Head Fluffer
    Silexxx's Avatar
    Member No
    25630
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Location
    Finland
    Age
    34
    Posts
    253
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 198 Times in 90 Posts


    Rep Power
    16
    https://www.vhnd.com/2024/02/28/excl...aphy-brothers/

    New details about the book. Basically it's Alex's tribute to his late brother.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  6. #46
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,577
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    342
    Thanked 518 Times in 328 Posts


    Rep Power
    30
    Looks like Alex will talk about the band stuff as well.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  7. #47
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Did a quick Wiki search on Ariel Levy. She co-wrote Demi Mooreís autobiography and wrote a book called Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture. Strikes me as an unusual fit for the project.

  8. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

    So this is love (02-29-2024)


  9. #48
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    35,130
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,823
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Seems unlikely there will be numerous accounts of the brothers spit roasting groupies...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  10. 4 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    Nickdfresh (03-01-2024),So this is love (02-29-2024),Terry (02-29-2024),Von Halen (02-29-2024)


  11. #49
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    35,130
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,823
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Did a quick Wiki search on Ariel Levy. She co-wrote Demi Mooreís autobiography and wrote a book called Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture. Strikes me as an unusual fit for the project.
    Looks like she did a few interviews/stories about Van Halen after the reunion for The New Yorker but they will be behind a paywall.

  12. #50
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    This poor soul will sit idly by and hope someone here will post a sampling of her VH stories.

  13. #51
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    11,946
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    4,611
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Did a quick Wiki search on Ariel Levy. She co-wrote Demi Mooreís autobiography and wrote a book called Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture. Strikes me as an unusual fit for the project.
    How exactly DOES a person 'co-write' someone else's autobiography? No slam directed toward you, DLR Bridge, because doubtless both Levy and Moore would say Levy co-wrote Moore's autobiography. Maybe I'm just being dumb about it, but is it possible to co-write someone else's autobiography?

    Yeah, that choice of writer seems an odd one for AVH to go with, too.

  14. #52
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    No slam taken! I just wrote what I saw on the Wikis.

    As I gaze upon the Ted Templeman book, it states, ďTed Templeman as told to Greg Renoff.Ē Perhaps thatís the key to a co-write?

  15. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (03-01-2024)


  16. #53
    Veteran
    So this is love's Avatar
    Member No
    27806
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Location
    N.America
    Posts
    2,395
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    584
    Thanked 301 Times in 227 Posts


    Rep Power
    18
    I was excited when I heard the news of Alex book but that has now faded....now I have to wait for Michael Anthony's or maybe DLR is he has not sold his soul to the VH brothers to get back into VH in 2007...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  17. #54
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Ooof. Michaelís forward to his boss Hagarís book was all I needed to see to know that Iím good without a biography from him. ďIf Sam says it, it happened.Ē Barf.

    Iíd gladly take another book from Dave, but something tells me heís going to continue to intrigue us sans printed page.

  18. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

    Nitro Express (02-29-2024)


  19. #55
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    32,783
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,438
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts


    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    94
    Mike is such a gimp.

  20. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (03-01-2024)


  21. #56
    Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    8,957
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    2,514
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    How exactly DOES a person 'co-write' someone else's autobiography? No slam directed toward you, DLR Bridge, because doubtless both Levy and Moore would say Levy co-wrote Moore's autobiography. Maybe I'm just being dumb about it, but is it possible to co-write someone else's autobiography?

    Yeah, that choice of writer seems an odd one for AVH to go with, too.
    It's just a person who can organize time lines accurately and has the ability to convey a spoken story into coherent words and paragraphs that make sense to a general audience. A good co-writer would have to spend a lot of time listening and gathering details rather than just making shit up.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  22. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (03-01-2024)


  23. #57
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    I can hear it now.

    Mr. Van Halen, it says here that you and your brother propositioned to ďbangĒ Ann and Nancy Wilson in the same bed, but the dates you gave me donít sync up with the tour itineraries.
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 03-01-2024 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Iím a dope.

  24. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (03-01-2024)


  25. #58
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    11,946
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    4,611
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    55
    I get what you guys are saying re: co-authoring an autobiography, it just struck me as somehow being grammatically incorrect or oddly imprecise or whatever...like, I just can't recall having read or heard such a phrase before, while I had read/heard 'as told to' before.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-01-2024 at 02:24 PM. Reason: because I'm a douche

  26. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

    DLR Bridge (03-01-2024)


  27. #59
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    11,946
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    4,611
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Mike is such a gimp.

    It'd be of some interest to know if the Van Halens had Mike sign an NDA at some point either during the 1984 contract renegotiation or any alterations of Mike's contract subsequent to the intial 1984 one.

    I say that because I can't understand why Mike hasn't really proffered much by way of venting or defending himself or an explanation in terms of what went down with him and the Van Halens, even if were only concentrating on the years after Cherone left the band in 1999. It's not as if Mike hasn't been asked about that stuff multiple times in interviews over the last twenty years. Mike HAS commented here and there about specifics (the circumstances behind his leaving Van Halen) when asked, but only when asked and it's always been with this neutral tone.

    I mean, from what I can suss out, it seems like Eddie and Alex just stopped contacting Mike and playing with him shortly after the demo sessions with Roth in 2000 ended. Which was well before Eddie's mother died (calling bullshit on the 'Mike was chucked out of the band specifically because he missed Eddie's Mom's funeral' theory) or before Hagar formed Chickenfoot or the Circle. Reportedly, Sammy had to say to Ed and Alex in the fall of 2003 that he wouldn't do a Van Hagar reunion if Mike wasn't part of the band, so clearly Mike had been out of the band as far as the Van Halens were concerned prior to the fall of 2003 at the latest. Most likely as far back as early 2001 after the second attempt at a Roth reunion failed to get off the ground.

    With Mike Anthony, to me it comes off like Eddie and Alex ultimately ended up being dicks to the one guy out of anybody they played with in Van Halen who was easily the most loyal to the Van Halens. The flip side being Mike Anthony willingly let the Van Halens whittle down his percentage and willingly signed away more and more of his rights from 1984 to 2004...Mike let the Van Halens treat him like the hired help rather than stand up for himself and take a hike. I mean, I get it in that staying in Van Halen even at a reduced percentage was the safer route than standing up for himself and probably being chucked out of the band as a result: it wasn't a great choice (maybe not much of a choice at all, really) but he was free to have left at any time. He chose to stay. The Van Halens ended up treating him exactly like what he allowed himself to be treated, which was the disposable hired help. It isn't to say Mike deserved said treatment, but after twenty years of it he'd have to have been an idiot to be surprised at the way he was dumped.

  28. #60
    Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    11,946
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    4,611
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    55
    Like, when Eddie publicly claimed in...was it 2015? Or 2013? Whichever year. Claimed that Mike couldn't ever play bass worth a damn and only ever played what Eddie either told or showed him to play...and then went on to say his vocals were as important as Mike's regarding the VH background vocal style...

    I mean, when Mike wouldn't even stand up for himself publicly in the wake of that nonsense from Eddie...when that nonsense didn't prompt MIKE to go online and tell Eddie to go fuck himself instead of Sammy sticking up for Mike, at that point I couldn't help feel that if Mike wasn't even willing to stand up for himself he was just allowing himself to be shit on. Hard to feel much by way of sympathy or empathy for someone who won't even raise a voice to defend themselves. Someone like that IS a gimp.

  29. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

    Rikk (03-02-2024)


  30. #61
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

    Vinnie Velvet's Avatar
    Member No
    1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 AM
    Location
    Hard Rock City
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,577
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    342
    Thanked 518 Times in 328 Posts


    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It'd be of some interest to know if the Van Halens had Mike sign an NDA at some point either during the 1984 contract renegotiation or any alterations of Mike's contract subsequent to the intial 1984 one.

    I say that because I can't understand why Mike hasn't really proffered much by way of venting or defending himself or an explanation in terms of what went down with him and the Van Halens, even if were only concentrating on the years after Cherone left the band in 1999. It's not as if Mike hasn't been asked about that stuff multiple times in interviews over the last twenty years. Mike HAS commented here and there about specifics (the circumstances behind his leaving Van Halen) when asked, but only when asked and it's always been with this neutral tone.

    I mean, from what I can suss out, it seems like Eddie and Alex just stopped contacting Mike and playing with him shortly after the demo sessions with Roth in 2000 ended. Which was well before Eddie's mother died (calling bullshit on the 'Mike was chucked out of the band specifically because he missed Eddie's Mom's funeral' theory) or before Hagar formed Chickenfoot or the Circle. Reportedly, Sammy had to say to Ed and Alex in the fall of 2003 that he wouldn't do a Van Hagar reunion if Mike wasn't part of the band, so clearly Mike had been out of the band as far as the Van Halens were concerned prior to the fall of 2003 at the latest. Most likely as far back as early 2001 after the second attempt at a Roth reunion failed to get off the ground.

    With Mike Anthony, to me it comes off like Eddie and Alex ultimately ended up being dicks to the one guy out of anybody they played with in Van Halen who was easily the most loyal to the Van Halens. The flip side being Mike Anthony willingly let the Van Halens whittle down his percentage and willingly signed away more and more of his rights from 1984 to 2004...Mike let the Van Halens treat him like the hired help rather than stand up for himself and take a hike. I mean, I get it in that staying in Van Halen even at a reduced percentage was the safer route than standing up for himself and probably being chucked out of the band as a result: it wasn't a great choice (maybe not much of a choice at all, really) but he was free to have left at any time. He chose to stay. The Van Halens ended up treating him exactly like what he allowed himself to be treated, which was the disposable hired help. It isn't to say Mike deserved said treatment, but after twenty years of it he'd have to have been an idiot to be surprised at the way he was dumped.
    If I can remember the timeline.... the Van Halens were well aware Mike playing (he guested on some gigs) with Sammy on the Sam and Dave tour. In fact we know Mike approaching Dave to do the same - simply go on stage with him and play a few songs. Dave as we know nixed that idea and told Mike that "it wasn't the right time". Maybe Dave knew it would've created a bigger wedge with the brothers or he was holding out on a true CVH reunion.

    Whatever the case, in 2002, Mike still wasn't a member of Sammy's band at that point. So perhaps the very notion of him playing with Sam for even a few gigs is what started the rift with the brothers. Hence them not wanting him to even be part of the Van Hagar 2004 tour.

    It will be interesting to see if Alex sheds any light on this period and their dealings with Mike in the book.

  31. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (03-01-2024)


  32. #62
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    I partly assumed Mike made out well during the Ed leffler Van Hagar years and figured he was set. Like you said, making a hassle over the money in the later years was only going to lead him out the door, which is where he found himself anyway. I think Dave even did better during the Ed leffler years.

  33. #63
    Foot Soldier
    Never was's Avatar
    Member No
    28556
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 01:06 PM
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    626
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    540
    Thanked 312 Times in 202 Posts


    Rep Power
    15
    A tour with Vai, Al and Dave starting in October would be a good promotion for the book and a fuck you to those who want VH to be never heard again. Just a thought
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  34. #64
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    A tour with Vai, Al and Dave starting in October would be a good promotion for the book and a fuck you to those who want VH to be never heard again. Just a thought
    I like the idea, but guys like Phil X and Pete Thorn are remarkable Ed mimics. With Vai, you get his style and sound.

  35. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (03-01-2024)


  36. #65
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    32,783
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,438
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts


    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    It's just a person who can organize time lines accurately and has the ability to convey a spoken story into coherent words and paragraphs that make sense to a general audience. A good co-writer would have to spend a lot of time listening and gathering details rather than just making shit up.
    Ghost writers are a thing. You want a really good audiobook these days. People donít read as much as used to.

  37. #66
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    32,783
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,438
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts


    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I partly assumed Mike made out well during the Ed leffler Van Hagar years and figured he was set. Like you said, making a hassle over the money in the later years was only going to lead him out the door, which is where he found himself anyway. I think Dave even did better during the Ed leffler years.
    Dave wrote all the lyrics and helped organize the music. Dave got more publishing points. Mike ainít hurting. Heís living on the marina in Newport Beach and has a warehouse full of cool cars. You can always analyze things and go oh I could have made more there but making a lot is still good. Alex needed money so they shook Mike down but what would Mike being doing if the Van Halenís didnít snag him?

  38. #67
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    32,783
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,438
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts


    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    94
    Van Halen had a good seven year run. Thatís actually good for a drug/alcohol infused rock band with personality clashes.

  39. #68
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Only half way through, but thereís a good interview with Greg Renoff and Chris Gill out.
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 03-02-2024 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Link wouldnít take

  40. #69
    formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,199
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    on Youtube?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  41. #70
    Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    8,957
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    2,514
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    If I can remember the timeline.... the Van Halens were well aware Mike playing (he guested on some gigs) with Sammy on the Sam and Dave tour. In fact we know Mike approaching Dave to do the same - simply go on stage with him and play a few songs. Dave as we know nixed that idea and told Mike that "it wasn't the right time". Maybe Dave knew it would've created a bigger wedge with the brothers or he was holding out on a true CVH reunion.

    Whatever the case, in 2002, Mike still wasn't a member of Sammy's band at that point. So perhaps the very notion of him playing with Sam for even a few gigs is what started the rift with the brothers. Hence them not wanting him to even be part of the Van Hagar 2004 tour.

    It will be interesting to see if Alex sheds any light on this period and their dealings with Mike in the book.
    Somewhere in October 2001 Valerie and Edward separated primarily due to Ed's alcoholism and drug use. Also remember Edward was diagnosed with tongue cancer in 2000 and claimed to be cancer free in 2002. But Ed's way of dealing with both his separation and cancer battle threw him even deeper into the depths of his substance abuse issues.

    The substance abuse progressed as witnessed in the 2004 tour. Valerie eventually filed for divorce in 2005 and it was finalized in 2007.

    During 2000 through 2003 Michael Anthony was just sitting on the sidelines while Edward was perfecting his death spiral and Alex most likely didn't know what to do to save his brother. There wasn't any productive band business during this period because Ed was too fucked up to function... Mike kept near the phone and more or less tried to keep a positive front from a band perspective during all the shit storms Ed was stirring up.

    Edward and Alex just blew Mike off and didn't have the decency to at least act like adults and let him know where things were heading... Mike learned his fate along with us via the internet. Total asshole move made by the Van Halens...

  42. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

    Nickdfresh (03-02-2024)


  43. #71
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    on Youtube?


    Ahh, now I got it.

  44. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

    twonabomber (03-02-2024)


  45. #72
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Edward and Alex just blew Mike off and didn't have the decency to at least act like adults and let him know where things were heading... Mike learned his fate along with us via the internet. Total asshole move made by the Van Halens...
    It was an asshole move for the ages, but one thing I learned from the Tonechaser book was how much Ed loathed Mikeís lack of a work ethic. I think Ed wanted the guy to WANT to be in the trenches with him and his brother. He certainly couldnít make Mike want that. I donít want to misquote, but it drove Ed nuts how heíd leave sessions early, hang out at Disneyland and contribute nothing to the creative process. It was around Ď81 in the book where he expressed his frustrations. I recall him saying, ďat least Dave pulls his weight.Ē

  46. #73
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    35,130
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,823
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    I really don't see anything that wrong with taking Mike's writing royalties when he wasn't writing.

    Kicking him out the band and replacing him with your fat 16 year old kid though is pretty unforgivable and if nothing else, incredibly disrespectful.

  47. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    So this is love (03-03-2024)


  48. #74
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 AM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    53
    Posts
    49,110
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,480
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts


    Rep Power
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I really don't see anything that wrong with taking Mike's writing royalties when he wasn't writing.

    Kicking him out the band and replacing him with your fat 16 year old kid though is pretty unforgivable and if nothing else, incredibly disrespectful.
    Well, how fucking much did Alex write?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  49. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

    So this is love (03-03-2024)


  50. #75
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    32,783
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,438
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts


    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    94
    I think Ed was jealous of Mike because Mike actually had what Ed wanted. Ed hated the fame and just wanted to be a musician. Mike wasnít the guitar God. He was making a great living being a musician and he was happy and had a great marriage. Ed had all the attention on him. Had the pressure of maintaining his status and was married to Val. Just being married to Val would drive me to the meth laced coke and Smoking Loon.

  51. #76
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    32,783
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,438
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts


    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    94
    I take the piss out of Mike but if the best revenge is living well, heís getting great revenge.

  52. #77
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 AM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    53
    Posts
    49,110
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,480
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts


    Rep Power
    116
    Well Alex didn't really write a note of a Van Halen song, but thank God he can write a book where he can shit on Michael Anthony for not writing a note for a CVH song....

  53. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (03-03-2024),ZahZoo (03-03-2024)


  54. #78
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Well Alex didn't really write a note of a Van Halen song, but thank God he can write a book where he can shit on Michael Anthony for not writing a note for a CVH song....
    I donít know that thatís going to happen. If he has anything bad to say about Mike at all, itíll be that he made his choice by playing with Sam when the band was on hiatus.

    Itís true that Al didnít sit a the kit and write a song, but he had an involvement in crafting the musical ideas put out by Ed. Coming up with rhythmic drumming parts that are elemental in transitioning from verses to bridges and choruses, etc are, in fact, a form of writing. Listen to the unworldly display of drumming that lies beneath the solo to Jump and then imagine it wasnít there. I donít know, maybe Iím reaching but, if he didnít write, he definitely helped write. I was reading in the Eruption book a response from Ed where he says if it werenít for Al, Pleasuredome wouldnít have become a song. Iím sure thatís just one case of Al helping glue parts together, much in the way that we know Dave did, too.

  55. #79
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    78/84 guy's Avatar
    Member No
    12663
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Location
    MN.
    Posts
    2,557
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,377
    Thanked 429 Times in 315 Posts


    Rep Power
    28
    Should be interesting. Yet somehow I have a feeling it will be about how He & Ed started a revolutionary rock band without giving Roth much credit. Sorry Al but my guess is you and your brother would've been still.playing Sabbath covers into the early 80's until you got bored with it without Roth's drive. Time will tell....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  56. 2 users say thank you to 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

    DLR Bridge (03-03-2024),So this is love (03-03-2024)


  57. #80
    your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

    DLR Bridge's Avatar
    Member No
    25975
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,468
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,352
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts


    Rep Power
    43
    Funny, I was just thinking, I wonder if some of Daveís recent audio-tales that have shined a less than positive light on the three twins will affect Alís written perceptions of Dave. I recall, from the final tour and afterwards, Dave saying things like, ďAl and I speak on the phone twice a week.Ē I donít know about yíall, but I found that extremely difficult to believe.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 7 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Slash - The Autobiography
    By Hardrock69 in forum House of Music
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 06:12 PM
  2. Pete Townsend Autobiography Due Out Oct. 8
    By Hardrock69 in forum House of Music
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 12:05 AM
  3. Crazy From The Heat Autobiography Book
    By BernardoDreher in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 06:15 AM
  4. SAMMY HAGAR Says His Autobiography Is 'Basically Done'
    By Jagermeister in forum House of Music
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 02:54 AM
  5. I just bought Brian Wilsons autobiography
    By bueno bob in forum House of Music
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-16-2006, 12:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •