X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Batman: Arkham Asylum Game

I bought this for my son today for the PS3.
    I'm jealous... I wish I was 11 years old with a week to kill before school started and got handed a game like this... pretty wild.
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

OK, first off...as a parent, you might not know of the backstory regarding Arkham Asylum in the first place. "Arkham" was an adult graphic novel that was first published around the time of the Michael Keaton/big screen Batman movie. It involves all of the sociopaths Batman has put away, and in some particularly graphic scenes Batman must deal with each of them on his way toward an ultimate goal.

This is not the "Super Friends" Batman called in. There is some deeply warped stuff that goes on, much of it in a sub-textual manner. And remember, I am only describing the novel upon which the story is based.

Now, your 11 year old kid may find this to be yet another fighting game to slog through, and as such may be no more different than Zelda. My only concerns would be the graphic nature of the images, and some of the very inappropriate thoughts conveyed by the novel for a child of his age.

Look, I have not witnessed the game at all. I am basing this solely upon my knowledge of the book it is based upon. I hope that in some way I've helped you to at least review the material your child is playing.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Mr Walker
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
      OK, first off...as a parent, you might not know of the backstory regarding Arkham Asylum in the first place. "Arkham" was an adult graphic novel that was first published around the time of the Michael Keaton/big screen Batman movie. It involves all of the sociopaths Batman has put away, and in some particularly graphic scenes Batman must deal with each of them on his way toward an ultimate goal.

This is not the "Super Friends" Batman called in. There is some deeply warped stuff that goes on, much of it in a sub-textual manner. And remember, I am only describing the novel upon which the story is based.

Now, your 11 year old kid may find this to be yet another fighting game to slog through, and as such may be no more different than Zelda. My only concerns would be the graphic nature of the images, and some of the very inappropriate thoughts conveyed by the novel for a child of his age.

Look, I have not witnessed the game at all. I am basing this solely upon my knowledge of the book it is based upon. I hope that in some way I've helped you to at least review the material your child is playing.
      Thanks for the input bro... but yeah, we were aware of the content.

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
        Thanks for the input bro... but yeah, we were aware of the content.
        Cool, man. I'm reminded of how indifferent some folks can be (as you are no doubt well aware), and I applaud your interest beforehand.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Anonymous
          Banned
          • May 2004

I bought this for my son today for the PS3.
          I'm jealous... I wish I was 11 years old with a week to kill before school started and got handed a game like this... pretty wild.
          What, just because you're an old fart you can't get a couple of minutes in the Playstation?

Send the kid to bed early and hog the machine. Old age isn't an excuse to stop doing things. Next you'll tell me you don't watch cartoons anymore.

Originally posted by chefcraig

See? There you go. Adult fun stuff.

And Chef, you're right. The "new" Batman is not very kid friendly, but it's the only super hero besides Aquaman that I can read these days.

You know, 'cuz Aquaman has some pretty deep, twisted stuff going on too. Not the Syndication Saturday morning cartoon anymore... certainly not Super Friends either.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Yeah, but are there nipples on the Batsuit?
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Mr Walker
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
              What, just because you're an old fart you can't get a couple of minutes in the Playstation?

Send the kid to bed early and hog the machine. Old age isn't an excuse to stop doing things. Next you'll tell me you don't watch cartoons anymore.
              I don't have the head for that kind of game anymore, but I did spend almost an hour watching him while he was playing.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                I don't know, but I do know that after playing for a while the suit was full of rips and bullet holes.

Comment

• Anonymous
                  Banned
                  • May 2004

I don't have the head for that kind of game anymore, but I did spend almost an hour watching him while he was playing.
                  Wait, you know how to rip CDs to your iPod, you post on the internet - quite well, I must say - know how to create & upload a custom avatar... and you don't have the head to play games?

Comment

• Anonymous
                    Banned
                    • May 2004

What if it was Pong? More on your age bracket?

Comment

• Anonymous
                      Banned
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                      You SICK BASTARD!

What kind of question is that?

Do YOU have nipples on your Darth Vader suit? Oh, Gawd... Right, forget I asked anything! I don't wanna know! Seriously Bob, I DON'T WANNA KNOW!

Don't even think about it. Stop right there. Don't post it, don't...

Dear Lard, what have I done?

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
                        You SICK BASTARD!

What kind of question is that?

Do YOU have nipples on your Darth Vader suit? Oh, Gawd... Right, forget I asked anything! I don't wanna know! Seriously Bob, I DON'T WANNA KNOW!

Don't even think about it. Stop right there. Don't post it, don't...

Dear Lard, what have I done?

In quasi-Freudian terms, y'all just opened up a can o'whoopass...
                        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Anonymous
                          Banned
                          • May 2004

Is the plural of "y'all" "all y'all"?

Comment

• thome
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Mar 2005

I play COD I, on my computer and I want the new one, awesome.. I haven't played a Television video since SEGA....1997..?.Still have Sonic..fun stuff haven't played it in years .

I still have my Pong machine from the 70's I wonder if it would hook up ,,lol

I am out of the LOOP....

Comment

• letsrock
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2007

Intellivision? Anyone?
                              Atari 2600?

Who still has that stuff?

Comment

Working...