X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

2016 Olympics: Chicago?

Chicago is making their final push for the Olympics, with the Obamas helping make that push...

I want it in the states so I can take the family...

but I have to admit...seeing it in Rio wouldn't be all that bad...with all those topless beaches...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

If it's in Chicago, be sure to plan sufficiently in advance for tickets.

I live in Seattle, which is a reasonable drive away from the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, and tickets sold out long, long ago. Bummer - I wanted to take the family.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Yeah GS...I went to the games in Seattle...and literally bought tickets three years in advance...or something like that...

I also ended up getting free tickets once I was there from people that were in my hotel that weren't going to make some events because of shitty planning...

Mainly...you need the hotel...the rest is easy...it just depends on what you want to see...

I just wanted to be there...at the time...meet chicks...and get wasted...

This time...it will be to take the kids to one...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

How can Chicago afford it at the moment?

London is costing $20 billion.

$20 billion for three weeks to see who has the freak who is best at passing drugs tests?
        Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-01-2009, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Three weeks to watch the British transport system fucked everything up.....
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

I'd be shocked if Chicago didn't get it at this point....

Obama and Oprah, quite the dynamic duo are lobbying for it...
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Their combined slogan could be "Yes we can, eat a donut"

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

You know Va...from what I've read...a lot of it could depend on the first city out...

and nearly every year...the frontrunner goes down...

But with Obama there...and the world loving him the way it does...

Well...I wouldn't bet against him. Hell, at this point...I'd go to Rio to see the Olympics...

I'd go to Spain...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

The rumor is that it's down to between Chicago and Rio...

That shouldn't be any contest, infrastructure and transportation issues along...
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• standin
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2009

Is this the winter or summer Olympics?
                    I am a big fan of the winter Olympics.
                    I guess this would be the summer

Because....

You know, how does the Olympic thing work? That is 2014 and we are talking 2016...
                    To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                    MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

it's been changed from both every four years, they alternate now with two years in between.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                        The rumor is that it's down to between Chicago and Rio...

That shouldn't be any contest, infrastructure and transportation issues along...
                        I think in the current climate there is going to be a hell of a lot less competition to hold these.

Brazil has the World Cup in 2014 though so should have a lot of the stuff in place already for an Olympics. One of the things you don't think about for these things is hotel rooms. You need literally 10s of thousands and unless you have a bunch of 5 star hotels then the corrupt assholes that run the Olympics or soccer aren't interested because each country needs somewhere to put their hundreds of hangers on in luxury.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

I'd be curious to see the Chicago plan...

My bet is a lot of things are already in place...especially hotel rooms...

Not sure where they stand with everything else...and even what they would do over the next seven years. You would also have to wonder how this would effect the current pro sports there...since they would likely be using the baseball and football venues...

Not sure though...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

I'd be curious to see the Chicago plan...

My bet is a lot of things are already in place...especially hotel rooms...

Not sure where they stand with everything else...and even what they would do over the next seven years. You would also have to wonder how this would effect the current pro sports there...since they would likely be using the baseball and football venues...

Not sure though...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The problem is the main stadium. Who the fuck needs an 80 000 capacity athletics stadium? No one. Even the cool Chinese birdsnest one has been lying empty since the games.

In the olden times the way we would get around that, at least in Europe, was to have a running track around a football pitch but nowadays football fans including the the 'super important executive box' customers don't want to be that far away from the action.

I think in London they are doing some weird building block shit so that they can shrink the stadium afterwards to a more sensible size for the more routine running, jumping, throwing shit around, remember to take your steroid masking drug, competitions.

Comment

Working...