Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Yeah...the irony is that when the remodeled soldier field a few years back...if I remember correctly...they moved the stands in around the football field because they were too far back. At one time, I think the stands there were the closest to the field of play...so there could be no track there, unless they redid the field again...which I can't imagine they would do.

I'm not sure if the plan would be to build an Olympic Stadium or not...but can't fathom that would make any sense whatsoever...with two baseball stadiums...and a football stadium already there...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Apparently, Chicago has an 80,000 seat, temporary stadium planned at Washington park...

to the tune of nearly 400 million...that will "easily" be downsized to 10,000 after the Olympics...and hold various parkish events...

Other than that...there wouldn't have to be many venues built at all...Chicago has a lot of infrastructure already built...simply because it's a major US city...

They'll be using venues across the country for soccer pre-lims...then Soldier Field and the main stadium...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Looks like they are going to copy the London model.

From wiki

Soldier Field would not serve as the main Olympic Stadium in Chicago. However, the sports venue would host several soccer matches, including the Olympic Soccer finals.

The Olympic Stadium will be in Washington Park, a site listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the Washington Park community area of the same name on the city's south side. Chicago initially proposed building a temporary 80,000-seat track stadium adjacent to Soldier Field and having the two stadiums host dual Opening and Closing Ceremonies. However, the final proposal called for a $366 million temporary stadium to be built in Washington Park. The stadium will be replaced by a 10,000 seat multi-use venue after the games. The smaller post-Olympic stadium will be more in line with public interest in restoring the historic park after the games. The new stadium will feature a high-tech reflective sheathing material to accommodate huge TV picture projections on its outside walls. The temporary stadium would not have concessions inside the stadium unlike permanent local venues, although concessions are planned outside the stadium. The stadium will feature a basic oval shape, but it will also adhere to Olympic design rules which dictate that there must be an overhanging lip at one end to cover dignitaries and the media. IOC president Jacques Rogge praised Chicago's design in November 2007 as a possible "blueprint for the future." This reflects the desire of the IOC to make the games both more affordable and to have a smaller ecological footprint on the host city.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Call me a cynic but I think these things are all about politicians trying to get on a huge ego trip paid for by tax payers.

I'm not against Olympic games per se I'm against the fucking insanity of the cost. It reminds me of weddings. It starts out sounding like a reasonable idea, might even be fun and then it gets completely fucking out of hand and the next thing you know you are paying for years for a brief moment that you spent most of hoping nothing would go wrong.

The local politicians are like the bride with the taxpayers being the beleaguered parents...

The average cost of a wedding in the UK is now over $30k...
          Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-02-2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

I agree 100%...

Just read a special about the venues in China...and how they are a big waste...as you mentioned...the Bird's nest and the cube...

That hole area is like a fucking wacked out commune of poor...

Personally...I could care a less...

I don't watch them at all on TV...accept maybe the opening ceremonies for a minute or two...and a few events here and there.

I watch the Winter much more than the Summer...mainly the hockey to boot.

Had a fantastic time at the Atlanta Olympics though...mainly boozing it up...avoiding bombs from guys named Rudolph...and trying to bang internationally...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Good comparison to the wedding scenario...giant fucking wastes of money...

I say to this day...get married at the Justice of the Peace...

Send out notices, asking to donate 20-30 dollars...and people would GLADLY do it so they wouldn't have to come to the damn thing...nor spend twice as much on a dumbass gift...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I went to the World Cup in France in 1998 and it was great fun too.

Like any party though it's best to have it at someone else's place so you don't need to pay for shit or clean up after...

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Atlanta built a new stadium and tore maybe half of it down after the Olympics.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Yeah...it was Centennial Stadium...

Which is now Turner Field...where the Braves play...

Not sure how much pre-planning went into that...but think Ted Turner paid for most of the stadium to begin with...

Long time ago...and I'm too lazy to look...

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

planned from the beginning, the dome was new and they didn't need two huge stadiums.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• redblkwht
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

announcement tomorrow, if we have any luck..we will make the trip too.
                        the south side needs the facelift, its all slum/ghetto that is overdue
                        this will change the southside cosmetically & will fix the bad real estate
                        to more upscale, which they have been working on since the united center
                        was built..this would be a real good thing for the city, we will see soon
                        enough.

EUAS

Comment

• Dan
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by redblkwht
                          announcement tomorrow, if we have any luck..we will make the trip too.
                          the south side needs the facelift, its all slum/ghetto that is overdue
                          this will change the southside cosmetically & will fix the bad real estate
                          to more upscale, which they have been working on since the united center
                          was built..this would be a real good thing for the city, we will see soon
                          enough.
                          What Up,R.W.B?

Been To Chicago A Few Times,Been A Very Nice City To Travel In,But Know That Every City Has Its Parts That Peeps Turn The Another Way.Good Luck To Them If They Get It.
                          First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            The local politicians are like the bride with the taxpayers being the beleaguered parents...

The average cost of a wedding in the UK is now over $30k...

Great analogy. It's not even about the actual marriage (or games in this case), but the venues, the guest list, the dress, the bridesmaids, the gifts, etc... Money, getting egos stroked, freebies, and face time. That's about it.

Oh, and how many people will put it on their resume? "Integral part of securing Chicago as home of the 2016 Olympic Games".
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

I know the general thought is that the Olympics can change an area...it happens every four years...then ultimately doesn't...

Who knows though...with a big Obama push...it could change the face of Chicago...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Rio just got it...

Get your thong ready, Poj....
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...