Toyota: "Oh What a Feeling!" (We're Fucked!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Toyota: "Oh What a Feeling!" (We're Fucked!)

Toyota faced pressure from U.S. officials before announcing recall

By Peter Whoriskey
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, January 28, 2010; A19

Toyota's decision on Tuesday to suspend the production and sale of eight models follows months of wrangling with federal safety officials, and stark disagreements with them over what was causing unintended accelerations.

As recently as November, the company claimed that the acceleration problem was caused by faulty floor mats, a diagnosis that made for a simple solution: take them out.

The issue "has been repeatedly and thoroughly investigated" by federal regulators at the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, Bob Daly, a Toyota senior vice president assured customers at the time.

But two days later, the agency issued an unusual statement seeking to correct "inaccurate and misleading information put out by Toyota." Removing floor mats doesn't fix the underlying vehicle defect, it said, adding that it is related to the accelerator and floor pan design.

This back-and-forth, followed by new accidents and then this week's admission that indeed some Toyota models have defective accelerator pedals, amounts to a debacle for a company that became one of the largest automakers by burnishing its reputation for safety and reliability.

On Wednesday, customers deluged dealerships with questions, some rental companies announced that they were dumping all Toyotas and competitors advertised that they would seek to scoop up their rival's newly disaffected customers.

General Motors announced that its dealers will offer purchase incentives specifically to Toyota customers. It will offer $1,000 to Toyota owners toward a down payment on a GM vehicle and up to $1,000 to help to pay off current leases early.

"We decided to make this offer after receiving many e-mails and calls from our dealers, who have been approached by Toyota customers asking for help," a GM spokesman said.

Avis Budget Group said Wednesday that it is removing about 20,000 Toyotas from its rental fleets. Enterprise Holdings also said it is removing all Toyota and Pontiac Vibe vehicles, which are part of the recall, from its Alamo, Enterprise and National car rental chains.

The wave of negative publicity that is engulfing the company is at least partly caused by the carmaker's reluctance to own up to the allegations customers had made, industry observers said.

"First, they blamed the messenger -- the drivers, then they blamed the media for blowing it out of proportion, and then they weren't very forthcoming," said Michelle Krebs, an auto analyst at Edmunds.com. "They keep digging and digging and finding more problems. The question is: Have they found them all yet?"

For instance, the company had issued a safety advisory in September warning customers of the potential floor-mat problem, but it insisted in a letter to federal officials that it had not determined that the problem was actually a "safety-related defect."

Similarly, while the company said its decision to conduct another recall was voluntary, the announcement came after the safety agency informed Toyota of its intention to open an investigation, sources familiar with the matter said. The agency urged the company to "act quickly," one of the sources said, and it did so. The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because the safety discussions were private.

"NHTSA informed Toyota of their obligations and they complied with the law," David Strickland, administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said via e-mail. "Their decision to halt sales was legally and morally the right thing to do."

On Wednesday night, Toyota announced that it would reopen the floor-mat recall to add 1.1 million vehicles, bringing the total affected to 5.3 million.

"In rare instances, there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may mechanically stick in a partially depressed position," the company said. "The condition is rare and does not occur suddenly."

The agency is advising Toyota customers that "if your vehicle is acting strangely, drive it to the nearest safe location, turn-off the engine and contact a Toyota dealer for assistance."

Exactly how Toyota could have found itself at the center of a storm over quality is a matter of debate, but some analysts attributed the company's difficulties to its desire to grow so quickly. Toyota has vied with General Motors to become the world's largest.

"When you are growing that fast, it is difficult to find enough talent to manage quality and standards," said Oliver Hazimeh, an auto industry consultant at PRTM in Michigan. "Toyota outpaced itself, and that's the root of the problem they're having now."

washingtonpost.com
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

yet gm and toyota share models, the incentives to buyers should be from ford or chrysler, they should follow suit.
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
      yet gm and toyota share models...
      Not really, dude. Not since the fucking "Geo" Metro (Corolla) and Nova (90's snazzy Corolla)...

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I drive a Land Rover built by British communists. It has the normal British electrical quirks but nothing Deoxit and dielectric grease won't fix. Mechanically it's been a tank and I get 20 MPG on the highway which isn't bad.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Blackflag
          Banned
          • Apr 2006

Pontiac Vibe, defunct.

Comment

• Igosplut
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I wondered who's fly by wire system was going to cause problems first, and it's really no surprise it's asian cars....
            Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              Not really, dude. Not since the fucking "Geo" Metro (Corolla) and Nova (90's snazzy Corolla)...
              Toyota then announced an additional recall of 1.09 million vehicles in the United States covering five models — 2008-2010 Highlander, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Venza, 2009-2010 Matrix, and 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe, a General Motors Corp. vehicle that shares parts with the Matrix.
              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Toyota then announced an additional recall of 1.09 million vehicles in the United States covering five models — 2008-2010 Highlander, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Venza, 2009-2010 Matrix, and 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe, a General Motors Corp. vehicle that shares parts with the Matrix.
                I forgot about the Vibe, which is pretty much extinct now anyhoo. I think GM was ending their relationship after they almost came out with a joint model to have been produced in a GM Cali plant IIRC...

Incidentally, the recall spread to Asia and Europe with no fix in sight. I know people who sell Toyotas, and they can't move any product until it's fixed and Ford and GM are offering lease buyout incentives for Toyo owners...

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  I forgot about the Vibe, which is pretty much extinct now anyhoo. I think GM was ending their relationship after they almost came out with a joint model to have been produced in a GM Cali plant IIRC...

Incidentally, the recall spread to Asia and Europe with no fix in sight. I know people who sell Toyotas, and they can't move any product until it's fixed and Ford and GM are offering lease buyout incentives for Toyo owners...
                  i work in aftermarket auto parts, and our toyota dealerships are just SCREWED. not only no new sales, but no trade-ins, so the techs and usedcar guys aren't doin' squat. and the back counter parts guys have nothin' to order from me. no commision..mwa, mwa, mwa i thought for some reason that shitty cobalt was shared too, but apperently not. and i didn't ask or see earlier, but is it affecting lexus also?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

i work in aftermarket auto parts, and our toyota dealerships are just SCREWED. not only no new sales, but no trade-ins, so the techs and usedcar guys aren't doin' squat. and the back counter parts guys have nothin' to order from me. no commision..mwa, mwa, mwa i thought for some reason that shitty cobalt was shared too, but apperently not. and i didn't ask or see earlier, but is it affecting lexus also?
                    I'm not sure about Lexus...

The shitty Cobalt was the last generation Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra --about a decade behind the Saturn Astra, which is why both Chevy and Ford have sucked at small cars and handed the market to Honda/Toyota.

The new Chevy Cruz and (2012) Ford Focus coming out though are pretty nice little cars...

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2007

sucks, the older i get, the harder it is to put the makes and model names together every year. it'll drive ya batshit crazy. takes a good month or two. could be something effecting my short term memory too.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

A Metro is a Suzuki, Dickforbrains...

Comment

• Igosplut
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          A Metro is a Suzuki, Dickforbrains...
                          They haven't made Geos for quite some time, Saturn took it's place.
                          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2004

I have one of the cars listed. I called my dealer to ask what I need to do. They gave me a 1-800 number to call. That number provided a recording stating everything we all have already heard on the news. At the end of the lengthy recording it says, if you have further questions go to toyota. com and read more information there. When I go there, it says that owners will be receiving letters in the mail telling them what Toyota is going to do to fix our vehicles.

Couldn't my dealer just tell me that??

And where is this letter? I have not seen a letter.

Anyone here get a letter?
                            “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2007

my mom has an 06 corolla, not on the list, but her pedal did the same thing about a year ago. alledgedly toyota is giving their dealers a fix today.

Comment

Working...