PDA

View Full Version : War Between the States about slavery?

jacksmar
04-25-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/apr/25/MEOPINO2-war-between-the-states-about-slavery-no-w/news-opinion-commentary/

I am responding to a column by Leonard Pitts Jr., a noted black columnist for The Miami Herald, entitled, "The Civil War was about slavery, nothing more" (Other Views, April 15).

I found this article to be very misleading and grossly riddled with distortions of the real causes of the War Between the States. I find it so amusing that such an educated person would not know the facts.

I am a proud native of South Carolina. I have spent my entire life in what was once the Confederate States of America. I am currently associated with Southern Heritage causes, including the Sons of Confederate Veterans in Tampa.

It's been 150 years since brave, patriotic Southerners drove the imperialist Yankee army from Fort Sumter, S.C. It also marked the beginning of the Confederates' fight to expel this foreign army from the entire Southern homeland.

After all these years, there still exists national historical ignorance and lies about this war. The War Between the States was about states' rights — not about slavery.

Remember, the original colonies voluntarily joined the union and never gave up their individual sovereignty. These independent states always retained their right to manage their domestic affairs and to leave this voluntary association at any time.

This voluntary union was for limited reasons such as national defense from the foreign powers, one language, interstate commerce, disputes between the sovereign states and matters of foreign affairs.

When the Southern states tried to leave this union, the Northerners had to put a stop to this. The slavery issue was masterly inserted into the movement of Yankee aggression.

We are a union of independent and sovereign states free to determine our own destiny. This sovereignty is meant to be free of Yankee federal domination and control. This should still be in principle and practice today as it was before the first cannon shots at Fort Sumter.

Slavery of any people is wicked and morally wrong. Domination of one people over another is just as evil and morally wrong.

The facts are that throughout history, just about every race of people has been slaves to another people. Slavery has always been a failed institution and a dark mark in history. One-hundred years before the first slave made it to the auction blocks in Virginia, African kings were running a booming enterprise of selling their own people into slavery. It was also customary that defeated people became slaves.

Slavery as an institution worldwide was coming to an end before the War Between the States. Slavery in America would probably have come to an end within 50 years.

The great eternal lie — that the war was to "free the slaves" — is still being propagandized today by modern spin-makers, schools and even scholars. But the facts are plain and quite evident if you were to take off your Yankee sunglasses.

The Army of the Potomac invaded the South to capture, control and plunder the prosperity of Southern economic resources and its industries. This army also wanted to put a final nail in the coffin of states' rights.

If, and I say this with a big if , the War Between the States was to free the slaves, please answer these simple questions:

Why didn't President Lincoln issue a proclamation on day one of his presidency to free the slaves? Why did he wait so many years later to issue his proclamation? Why was slavery still legal in the Northern states? Before 1864, how many elected members of the imperialist Yankee Congress introduced legislation to outlaw slavery anywhere in America?

The slaves were freed — and only in territories in rebellion against the North — because the Army of the Potomac was not winning the war and Lincoln was fearful of foreign nations recognizing the Confederacy.

The Northern states needed a war to fuel their economy and stop the pending recession. The North needed rebellion in the South to cause havoc in the Confederate states. The North wanted the hard foreign currency being generated by Southern trade.

I hope this year not only marks the celebration of the brave actions of Southerners to evict the Northern Army at Fort Sumter but leads to the truthful revision of history about the war. Future generations should know the truth.

Al Mccray is a Tampa businessman and managing editor of TampaNewsAndTalk.com.

Hardrock69
04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
And the Republican Party would love nothing more than to own slaves....

Nitro Express
04-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Both parties are turning us into slaves. It's called inflation, loss of jobs, loss of choices, higher taxes, and rampant government spending, and non stop wars.

I think the two biggest scams going in the US are called the Republican and Democrat parties. Everyone seems to think it's the other guy who caused all the problems.

FORD
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
And which "states rights" were they bitching about, for the most part?

The "right" to own other human beings, and use them as farm equipment.

Maybe we should call up General Cartman E. Lee and schedule another re-enactment?

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:151636" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s03e14-the-red-badge-of-gayness">The Red Badge of Gayness</a></b><br/>Tags: <a style="display: block; position: relative; top: -1.33em; float: right; font-weight: bold; color: #ffcc00; text-decoration: none" href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/">SOUTH<br/>PARK</a><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/episodes/s03e14-the-red-badge-of-gayness">more...</a></p></div></div>

Nitro Express
04-25-2011, 12:59 PM
And which "states rights" were they bitching about, for the most part?

The "right" to own other human beings, and use them as farm equipment.

Maybe we should call up General Cartman E. Lee and schedule another re-enactment?

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:151636" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s03e14-the-red-badge-of-gayness">The Red Badge of Gayness</a></b><br/>Tags: <a style="display: block; position: relative; top: -1.33em; float: right; font-weight: bold; color: #ffcc00; text-decoration: none" href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/">SOUTH<br/>PARK</a><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/episodes/s03e14-the-red-badge-of-gayness">more...</a></p></div></div>

It wasn't slavery that set off the powder keg. It was smore schnapps.

hambon4lif
04-25-2011, 01:06 PM
I see the weekly Klan Koffee Klutch has now moved to Mondays, eh Jack?

Satan
04-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah, the amount of alcohol consumed (thanks to the sponsors) certainly didn't help matters....

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:151637" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s03e14-the-red-badge-of-gayness">The Red Badge of Gayness</a></b><br/>Tags: <a style="display: block; position: relative; top: -1.33em; float: right; font-weight: bold; color: #ffcc00; text-decoration: none" href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/">SOUTH<br/>PARK</a><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/episodes/s03e14-the-red-badge-of-gayness">more...</a></p></div></div>

Nitro Express
04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
No. Mondays are the Nazi beer fest.

Hardrock69
04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Also....I would think this thread should go in the Front Line perhaps?

jacksmar
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
I see the weekly Klan Koffee Klutch has now moved to Mondays, eh Jack?

Ham buffoon, your insipid remarks and your tiresome blather have helped you to become the innocuous tard of the RothArmy. You’re not fit to carry Sammy Hagar’s guitar case.

You’re the typical dumbass that has to see race, gender, age, etc. to justify labels and form a line of thought.

And before you reply with your bleat, blather, parrot remarks; don’t. Your carbon footprint won’t be missed.:biggrin:

Satan
04-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Funny thing is, Florida had nothing to do with the CSA.

Jagermeister
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
This will be SHOCKING thought for some but.

Ever think that if we had not brought those people in to be slaves we wouldn't have nearly as many of the free loaders here to this day. Great thing our ancestors did for us there huh?
Were there no Mexicans that we could have had pick cotton back then?:biggrin:

hambon4lif
04-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Ham buffoon, your insipid remarks and your tiresome blather have helped you to become the innocuous tard of the RothArmy. You’re not fit to carry Sammy Hagar’s guitar case.

You’re the typical dumbass that has to see race, gender, age, etc. to justify labels and form a line of thought.

And before you reply with your bleat, blather, parrot remarks; don’t. Your carbon footprint won’t be missed.:biggrin::lmao:

You're just being pissy 'cause I caught you up to your same old shit........yet again!

These race-related stories you drop in Non are becoming weekly installments.......old......predictable......and 'tiresome'.

The most laughable part is that you think nobody knows what you're up to, but no one's as dumb as you are, and the only 'footprint' I see is the one across your forehead, Adolf!

better luck next week!:baaa:

Guitar Shark
04-25-2011, 04:38 PM

And before you reply with your bleat, blather, parrot remarks; don’t. Your carbon footprint won’t be missed.:biggrin:

LOL. How about you "form a line of thought" and actually provide a thought of your own about an article that you copied and pasted?

I'm willing to acknowledge that the Civil War wasn't solely about slavery, but to suggest that slavery played no role whatsoever is just idiotic. Anyone who has done even a minimal amount of reading on the issue will understand that the only "state's right" the southern states were truly interested in protecting was the right to keep slaves.

jacksmar
04-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Also....I would think this thread should go in the Front Line perhaps?

Hardrock, I would have place this on the Front Line but this was an opinion piece. This response, to the Pitts column, was to an opinion piece as well.

What I read from both opinions was a view from both sides in each column. This was a major event in our history and cannot be viewed with the tunnel vision people use to catalog issues presently.

Hope that makes sense.

hideyoursheep
04-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Hardrock, I would have place this on the Front Line but this was an opinion piece. Hope that makes sense.

Your opinions NEVER make sense.

:fufu:

standin
04-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Wow. That op- piece does not even have the basic facts. I would venture to say the other opinion writer McCray is responding to contorts the facts also. However, you choose for whatever reason to not link it. Was that due to sloth or another reason, smarmy?

hambon4lif
04-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Wow. That op- piece does not even have the basic facts. I would venture to say the other opinion writer McCray is responding to contorts the facts also. However, you choose for whatever reason to not link it. Was that due to sloth or another reason, smarmy?You may want to dial it down a few notches and make things remedial for dipshit Jack. He's still fumbling through the dictionary for words like 'insipid' and 'innocuous'. If you start throwing words like 'sloth' and 'smarmy' at him, his mis-shaped nazi head will just explode.

You ever see the movie "Scanners"?

standin
04-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Actualy, no I have not. I was going to make a joke, then I looked it up. I would need a very compelling reason to sit through Scanners. The cliff notes will do fine until that compelling reason materializes, thanks. :biggrin:

Seshmeister
04-27-2011, 10:35 PM
By the start of the war slaves were the biggest asset in the US economy worth more than everything else combined.

Trying to romanticise it as not being about slavery is a fantasy.

jacksmar
04-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Couldn't have said it better Sesh.

Slaves built the pyramids in Egypt , the Roman Coliseum, The Inca pyramids and Mayan ruins, the Great Wall of China, and so on but there was nothing romantic about any of the slavery.

jacksmar
04-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Sheepfucker wants into the conversation again. I’ll call on you Mr. Helper and put a little blue star on your reply.

http://media.funlol.com/content/img/ching-chong-potato.jpg

jacksmar
04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Hambuffon 4 ever, please tell us the story behind your tattoo. There's always a great and incredibly, soul-stirring deep story about a tattoo. Share yours.
http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web05/2010/11/28/7/half-headed-man-omg-4477-1290948024-13.jpg

hambon4lif
04-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Actually, I wish I did have a forehead like that. Then I'd have a tray to keep my phone and my car keys in so I wouldn't lose them all the fucking time.
Or if I wanted to make people laugh, I'd fill it with random things and tell them "I have alot on my mind".

I wanna hear your stories Jack. I wanna hear the stories behind your 'white power' and swastika tats, or the story of how your mother gave birth to you....rectally.
Either one will suffice.

You don't even have to hurt yourself by using those big 2-syllable words. Just tell me a story, bitch!

chefcraig
04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Slaves built the pyramids in Egypt , the Roman Coliseum, The Inca pyramids and Mayan ruins...

I don't think so. More and more, after watching shows on the History and Discovery channels, I'm starting to believe it was these guys...

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq100/nebula908/Gifs/toy-story-aliens-o.gif

Nitro Express
04-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Why the civil war happened was always confusing to me. I never could see why the poor people in the south would fight with such passion so the rich minority slave owners could continue to own slaves. A decent slave in the 1850's cost around $1000. Also the president of the confederacy Jefferson Davis was anti slavery as well as some of the key confederate generals.

So what set the south off? The economy and government tariffs. The northern states were manufacturers and the southern states were exporters. Britain was the south's major customer. The south felt they were paying more taxes on their exports than the north was.

Now some northerners felt the south was a horrid, barbaric, backwards slave owning group of people. Many signed up and went to war to get rid of slavery. The average southerner was fighting for states rights and when Lincoln invaded the south with an army is was full on.

So the war was about a lot of things including slavery because many northerners putting their lives on the line thought that abolishing slavery was one of the main things they were fighting for. So the cause really depended on each individual. States rights, slavery, defense against northern aggression. All of that.

jacksmar
04-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Could have been this guy and his peeps.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/TheManFromAtlantis_pilot_f.jpg

jacksmar
04-28-2011, 09:47 AM
"Actually, I wish I did have a forehead like that. Then I'd have a tray to keep my phone and my car keys in so I wouldn't lose them all the fucking time.
Or if I wanted to make people laugh, I'd fill it with random things and tell them "I have alot on my mind"."

That's funny, and I know funny.

My stories are pretty boring hambon4lif. All I can tell is one day I was here and the next day I was back in Cuba. I was really too young to remember.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/HFlashman/Shame.jpg

Nitro Express
04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
The US was the China of the 19th century. Europe may have gotten rid of slavery but they wanted sugar and cotton from areas of the world that used slaves to produce it. Nothing has really changed. The world wants all sorts of things produced from slaves today. Most of the stuff in Wal-Mart is produced by slaves. People who work in Chinese factories where if they don't meet their quota they are sold into prostitution and the government goes right along with it. There is a booming world market for sex slaves. The world never got rid of slavery, it just got better at hiding it.

chefcraig
04-28-2011, 10:07 AM
My stories are pretty boring hambon4lif. All I can tell is one day I was here and the next day I was back in Cuba. I was really too young to remember.

Whatever happened to your slut hairdresser cousin Marisleysis? Last I heard she was going to pose for Penthouse and open her own salon. And thanks a bunch for introducing the world to that creepy fisherman guy, Donato Butt-pimple.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/28/e55ce52a3e2f1bcefb41b5e4aa8ddf1c.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/)

jacksmar
04-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Mr. Escobar: He's my sister's kid, no father, not too bright... personally, I think he's a retard. I only gave him the job as a favor to my sister, you understand.
Bo Catlett: Yeah, family... I know how that is.

jacksmar
04-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Lincoln in response to an editorial by Horace Greeley of the New York Tribune which had urged complete abolition:

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

Nitro Express
04-28-2011, 11:39 AM
The issue nobody talks about is there were more slaves in the south than free people. Even if you didn't like slavery you didn't want to just set everyone free out of fear of getting some pay back. That's the reality of it. Ok. you are going to make these people free but then what? What are they going to do? They got freedom from Lincoln on paper but they still didn't really have it. What really happened is the former slaves migrated north to the manufacturing jobs because the south had nothing for them. They went to Detroit and Chicago and places like that. Some did well. Then came the liberal welfare state that made so many of them dependent slaves again. I think African Americans are the biggest victims of job outsourcing and the corrupt welfare state. It really stole the fire. Sure some got educated to where they can work as doctors and lawyers but what gave those people hope from the oppression has been outsourced. The family situation has been devistated amongst the blacks more than any other group in this country. It's a sad situation. People need jobs and they need a solid home situation or they have nothing. The kids will pack up into gangs having no hope of the better future and then the whole community rots. It's called Detroit. Like it or not, it's the truth.

In other words we screwed over the black middle class in exchange for asian and Mexican slaves. Everyone is going to the dole being dependent because the jobs aren't there. It's pathetic. I don't care who you are. If you have a job and a good home situation the community benefits. Put everyone on welfare, destroy the family, take the jobs away and you have a shit hole. If people are willing to work and improve their learning, if they have the opportunity to work, and put the family first, you have good communities. It's not rocket science.