What American Mall Restaurant Chains Do You Find Tolerable?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

What American Mall Restaurant Chains Do You Find Tolerable?

For my money, The Outback is okay if you can stand that your steaks are "salt-licks" that will attract deer if eaten near a northeastern woodlands. Other than that, I can't think of a single place I'd do anything more than have a beer in while watching some sporting event provided they're lucky enough not to have fired or driven out the few decent bartenders that work at these places. T.G.I. Fridays has its fans here, mostly because of the cheap drinks. But the one nearby is probably one of the worst managed festering shitholes as far as food goes. The thought of eating at Applebees makes me feel unwell. Friendlys just sucks. Buffalo Wildwings is a particular sore-spot here because there is nothing particularly "Buffalo" about their shitty wings. I haven't been in a Chili's in years. A lot of people say that The Cheesecake Factory is going downhill and the P.F. Changs I've never been to. I've eaten the pseudo-Italian slop at The Olive Garden, which is okay if its really cheap. But can't imagine going there for all the bevy of great local Italian places here.

The only major chain restaurant I can imagine getting a little excited about is LongHorns, which just came into the area and I guess has a huge waiting list to get into - something unusual here as the mall chains ain't all that popular...

• ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Never heard those restaurants referred to as Mall chains... In this part of the country those are middle range and virtually all are stand-alone but may located near large box stores and strip malls.

When I think of Mall chains I envision the bottom of barrel pizza, fake chinese and generally crappy places I wouldn't consider eating from.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The only place at the local mall I can stand to eat is the Chipotle Grill. Their burritos aren't quite as good as the local place that used to be around here, Burrito Heaven, but sadly they no longer exist, so this is as good as it gets.

Best of all, the Chipotle Grill's doors are on the outside, so I don't have to actually go in the mall to get there. Unfortunately, I do still have to put up with the mall's shitty parking lot, but it's no worse than any other parking lot in town, I guess. (all of which are designed for subcompact egg-crates and not for anything I might physically be able to drive)

There used to be a great Thai food place at the mall, but they are also long gone... probably a casualty of the cinema expansion, if I remember correctly.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Bring back Western Sizzlin!!
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          Never heard those restaurants referred to as Mall chains... In this part of the country those are middle range and virtually all are stand-alone but may located near large box stores and strip malls.

When I think of Mall chains I envision the bottom of barrel pizza, fake chinese and generally crappy places I wouldn't consider eating from.
          Maybe it's all regional, but nearly every restaurant I mentioned is within a mile or two of either a mall complex or large shopping center here. Usually right off a key highway exit...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            The only place at the local mall I can stand to eat is the Chipotle Grill. Their burritos aren't quite as good as the local place that used to be around here, Burrito Heaven, but sadly they no longer exist, so this is as good as it gets.

Best of all, the Chipotle Grill's doors are on the outside, so I don't have to actually go in the mall to get there. Unfortunately, I do still have to put up with the mall's shitty parking lot, but it's no worse than any other parking lot in town, I guess. (all of which are designed for subcompact egg-crates and not for anything I might physically be able to drive)

There used to be a great Thai food place at the mall, but they are also long gone... probably a casualty of the cinema expansion, if I remember correctly.
            LOL Just ain't there. I don't really consider them for the purpose of this thread as I'm talking more about full service sit down places with full bars. Five Guys is the Chipotles of burgers, also just opened here...

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              I haven't been in a Chili's in years.

I've ordered the baby back ribs 2-3 times the last 6 months for pickup. Very good but a bit dry. Request extra sauce & you'll be fine. Can't say about the rest of the food there.

As for Applebees, just ate there last week & had the 7 oz sirloin. Good steak, not great, They cooked it properly.

Outback? They piss me off about how they cook. Order medium rare & they have to tell you medium rare for them means rare. So if you want medium rare please order it medium. It's so annoying. they do it to be cute. It's not cute. It's not Australian. it's just annoying. Steak is good though and my friend swears by the pork chop.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Long Horns is pretty good. Texas Roadhouse is good too. But both of them have the throwin-peanut-shells-on-the-floor is cool vibe. Good food though.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                  Bring back Western Sizzlin!!
                  I went to one in Louisiana when I lived there. The Golden Corral that they closed in my home town was about the same. Sort of like Sizzler here.
                  Beware of Dog

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                    I went to one in Louisiana when I lived there. The Golden Corral that they closed in my home town was about the same. Sort of like Sizzler here.
                    You're right. But the Golden Corral here is like feeding time at the zoo with all the rednecks and ill-behaved unsupervised children..

Comment

• cadaverdog
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Aug 2007

They got this place in Ft Worth called "Red Neck Heaven". Chicks dressed like Daisy Duke if she was a prostitute. All kinds of drink specials at all times. Happy hour 2-7 everyday. Killer appetizers. Huge burgers. They even have "minnow shots". A minnow dropped in a shot of your fave liquor. This place kicked serious ass.
                      Beware of Dog

Comment

• Anonymous
                        Banned
                        • May 2004

The real joke here is that cadaverfuck is posting about going out to places where, even if he was allowed inside, things cost money.

Hilarious!

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• cadaverdog
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                          You're right. But the Golden Corral here is like feeding time at the zoo with all the rednecks and ill-behaved unsupervised children..
                          All buffets seem to end up like that except Chinese. Chinese buffets are better maintained.
                          Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            LOL Just ain't there. I don't really consider them for the purpose of this thread as I'm talking more about full service sit down places with full bars. Five Guys is the Chipotles of burgers, also just opened here...

No Five Guys here locally just yet, but it looks like they're expanding here in Washington state. Oddly enough, they seem to be starting everywhere BUT the usual Puget Sound corridor first (Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia) which seems like an odd business model.

I mean seriously... Longview??? Marysville?? Shit.... these are places that didn't even have a goddamn Mickey D's before the 1990s. How do they rate higher than us?
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• cadaverdog
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                              The real joke here is that cadaverfuck is posting about going out to public places where things cost money.

Hilarious!

Cheers! :bottle:
                              Thread derailing as usual I see. I guess some people find that amusing.
                              Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...