• Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Guy legally open carries rifle, other guy gets upset

Happened in Akron the other day...

Deone Slater, owner of the Kangaroo Kutz barbershop in Akron, said he refused to let a man openly carrying a gun walk in front of his business Thursday morning. The rifle carrier, Daniel Kovacevic, called police because he felt threatened.

Akron barbershop owner confronts man openly carrying gun

AKRON, Ohio -- The owner of an East Exchange Street barbershop unleashed a tirade Thursday against a man who has been carrying a gun around busy Akron streets, leading the rifleman to call police.

Akron has been abuzz with spottings of Daniel Kovacevic, 25, walking with a rifle on his back Monday near the University of Akron.

Deone Slater, owner of Kangaroo Kutz on East Exchange Street, did not to want to let Kovacevic in front of his shop Thursday morning. Kovacevic called police.

"He was a threat to my community," Slater said. "If I can prevent him from shooting up the city, I would. I won't condone it. Somebody's got to stand up."

Slater said police arrived within seconds and tried to calm Slater, who was yelling profanities at Kovacevic.

"He (Slater) was obviously emotional and concerned about his safety and the safety of everyone in the community," said Sgt. Doug Sandor, one of the officers arriving at the scene.

Kovacevic -- who like anyone in Ohio is allowed to carry weapons openly without a license -- went on his way. Police had received no further calls about him as of early Thursday afternoon.

Slater said Kovacevic said little during the confrontation. He said Kovacevic asked him if he were a Christian, and Slater said no.

"I told him to take his guns off," Slater said. "I told him let me have five or 10 minutes with him without his weapons."

Slater said he didn't understand why police were trying to calm him down instead of talking to Kovacevic.

"They (police) asked me why do I have a problem," Slater said. "He's a threat to me and my people. He's a threat to me."

Slater, who is black, said race played into the police's response. Kovacevic is white.

"They (police) were more concerned about me than him, as if I were the threat," Slater said. "It it were me with a gun, they would have shut the whole block down."

Lt. Rick Edwards, Akron police spokesman, rejected the allegation of bias.

"We don't look at the color of people's skin when we enforce the law," Edwards said.

However, Edwards noted that Kovacevic -- since reports started coming in Monday about him carrying a rifle in Akron -- has been spotted in predominately black communities.

The reaction

Cleveland.com talked to several people Wednesday afternoon near the University of Akron. Most considered Kovacevic's actions unnecessary demonstrations of open carry laws. Others said guns make them feel safer.

People Wednesday told cleveland.com they believe the outcome would have been different if Kovacevic were black and compared him to Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old Cleveland boy shot to death by police last year, after he was seen waiving an airsoft gun.

"It's different if it's a black person. People say it isn't, but it is," 26-year-old Traneece Johnson said. "[Kovacevic] was approached, and they gave him a chance to speak and say he was expressing his right. The little boy didn't get that chance."

The law

Ohio law, while requiring a license for carrying concealed weapons, allows citizens to carry firearms openly without a license.

James Weber, chief of the University of Akron Police Department, said those rights come with restrictions.

"If the person carrying a weapon points it at objects or people, or waves it around, the person may be apprehended and face charges of inducing panic, disorderly conduct, menacing or other charges," Weber said.

Weber said citizens openly carrying weapons must stay outside school zones. They cannot take weapons into buildings, including those at the University of Akron, which ban them. Also, under Ohio law, a person must be 18 to carry a long gun and 21 to carry a handgun.

Police response

Edwards said police don't necessarily like the open-carry law, but must enforce it. Officers receive training in responding to open-carry situations.

If officers approach someone openly carrying a gun, they will ask who they are, what they are doing and why they are there. But gun carriers are not required to respond.

"You have to be careful because you get into search and seizure issues," Edwards said. "You can't detain them.

"Ohio isn't the only state to allow open carry," Edwards said. "If you don't like it, you can talk to your legislators."

Open carrier recommendations

Kim Rodecker, owner and chief instructor of Concealed Carry Courses in Cleveland, teaches courses in how open carriers should respond to police.

"If a cop sees you and wants to talk to you, don't make any stupid moves," Rodecker said. "Don't touch or go for your gun. If he asks why you're carrying, just say you are exercising your rights under Ohio law."

That's exactly what Kovacevic told Akron police when they stopped him, according to police.

Edwards said police received seven calls about Kovacevic from worried citizens on Monday morning. One call came from the University of Akron police. He was seen on East Exchange, Sumner Street and in front of John R. Buchtel Community Learning Center on Copley Road.

Edwards said Kovacevic knows the law and what he can and cannot do.

"I think he's doing it for the attention," Edwards said. "And he's got all the attention he wants.

The past

It's not the first time open carry has been controversial. In May 2014, two men openly carrying weapons walked through Medina Public Square. About 10 people called police, who asked the men to identify themselves.

The two men, James Purdy of Brunswick and Micah Butcher of Grafton, said Ohio law didn't required them to reveal their identities, but they did anyway, so the incident wouldn't escalate.

In 2013, Oberlin City Council reluctantly rescinded its law prohibiting guns in city parks, since it conflicted with a state statute. This was after the gun advocacy group Ohioans for Concealed Carry threatened a lawsuit and demonstrated with guns in public parks.

And there's a video! (that I can't embed)

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.
  • Anonymous
    Banned
    • May 2004

That nigga's got balls, & I heartily approve of his actions.

Especially the "give me 5 or 10 minutes with you without that gun".

Motherfucking small cocked pussy coward should carry his gun up his ass!

Somebody should whack that honkey sumbitch over the head before he fucks up decent folk.

Son of a bitch thinks he's so tough carrying a rifle around. Fucking douchebag hipster pile of shit.

BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF HIM!

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Ok, so since this is a racial issue - on both sides - I'll relate a story. A couple weeks back I went to the Walmart in the next town over cause they had some Perfecta ammo in stock. Now, this Walmart is in the bad part of that town and I don't like going there cause it's slap full of people who refuse to speak English and who stand all over the damn place blocking up the aisles. Anyways, an older black dude is walking across the parking lot near me and he's openly carrying a pistol on his hip. No big deal - it's legal here too. I says to him "You're gonna need that around here" and he laughed and said he doesn't come down here without it. So we walked in and there's a Chalkasian poe lease ociffer standing just inside the door. Chalky looks at the black dude's pistol and immediately tazes him, tackles him, and proceeds to cuff and stuff the guy. Actually what happened is he just looked at the dude and then kept on looking at every single person who walked in. No big deal.

Now, what this Honkie in Ohio is doing is purposefully intimidating people because they're black. And that is what we call "wrong". Sure, he's within his rights to carry openly. And he's even within his rights to strut up and down the sidewalks of every predominantly black area in the whole damn state. But all that does is:

A. Make him look like a dumb ass

2. Make him a huge target for some other racist who happens to be a different color than him

A. Needlessly upset honest, law abiding citizens who think he might be the next anti-gubment Honkie terrorist

D. Basically fucks things up for the rest of us

Open carry is legal here in NC too. And it is completely normal to see people - white, black, men, women, young 20 somethings, old fuckers like me, whoever - carrying a pistol on their hip. It's not really common, mainly because most people are ignorant of the law and think it's illegal, and some people just don't like guns. But it isn't unusual either. However, there is this thing called "going armed to the terror of the public". And that's a big ass NO NO. And illegal as shit. So in other words, you run around town hollerin and shit while carrying a weapon then you're breaking the law and should be locked up. But if all you're doing is openly carrying while going about your normal bidness - there ain't a fuckin thang anybody can say, including the poe lease.

This guy in Ohio - this fucker is trying to either cause a confrontation or he's out to prove a point or he's purposefully trying to just plain scare the shit out of people. Most likely all three. Now, as a law abiding citizen who loves guns and supports STATE background checks and waiting periods and all that stuff that makes liberals' little peckers hard - even I don't think carrying a fucking rifle around town is a good idea. First off, we're just starting to see homegrown terrorism kick off in this country. And it WILL get worse, a hell of a lot worse. So do you think it's really a good idea to walk up and down the same street armed with a big black scary rifle? I sure as hell don't. I also don't go into the local fireworks store carrying a lit propane torch and a can of gas. That's because I ain't a'stoopid.

So Rifle Dude - you've made your point. You've pushed the law about as far as you could and you won. Yay for you, you fucking retard. Take your tactical ninja gun home and do what I do - shoot it, clean it, buy shit for it. Hell, jerk off over it if you want to. But stay off the fuckin streets scaring people and quit ruinin my life!!
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I gotta get me one of those white hats!
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
          I gotta get me one of those white hats!
          That ain't no hat. THIS is a hat!!

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

That's almost like that thing Jimmie Walker used to wear!

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Seems the two guys in the video have had a sit-down to talk about open carry. Kovacevic offered to bring Slater on one of his walks, and let Slater carry a gun. Someone in the comments section (note-NOT the reporter) did a search of county records and found that Slater is an ex-con and can't legally open carry.

Daniel Kovacevic, a 25-year-old man carrying a rifle on his back through Akron this week, and Deone Slater, a barbershop owner who argued with Kovacevic on Thursday, met on Friday to discuss the issue.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

That's almost like that thing Jimmie Walker used to wear!
                And Carling Black Label beer is one of the biggest beers in South Africa! You can't go wrong!!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Seems the two guys in the video have had a sit-down to talk about open carry. Kovacevic offered to bring Slater on one of his walks, and let Slater carry a gun. Someone in the comments section (note-NOT the reporter) did a search of county records and found that Slater is an ex-con and can't legally open carry.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index...art_river_home
                  Let him carry a gun??? I'd load that fucker with snap caps

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

First thing I thought of was John McClane handing Hans Gruber the gun: "No more bullets. What do you think, I'm fucking stupid, Hans?"

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                      That ain't no hat. THIS is a hat!!

Drank a lot of that when I was a teenager.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

If Slater was white and Kovasevic was black everybody would be calling him a racist for assuming Kovasevic intended to do him and his family harm.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I've grown tired and bored with all this gun business... both the good and bad.

Thinking it's time to clean the guns and put them up for a while... let them rest. Maybe spend some time on other hobbies like wet t-shirt contests, a picnic, an evening with friends around a good bon-fire, whatever...

Seriously, can't we find time for some simple fun and enjoyment in life that doesn't involve weapons, threats and serious life shit..?
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                            I've grown tired and bored with all this gun business... both the good and bad.

Thinking it's time to clean the guns and put them up for a while... let them rest. Maybe spend some time on other hobbies like wet t-shirt contests, a picnic, an evening with friends around a good bon-fire, whatever...

Seriously, can't we find time for some simple fun and enjoyment in life that doesn't involve weapons, threats and serious life shit..?
                            Well, we could always just sit here and talk about Van Halen. Again. For another 15 years or so.

Me, I'm going to mom's to help decorate her house today since her knee is messed up. Gonna stop off on the way and do some good ol' Christmas shopping. Then put up their giant tree and all that stuff then have a big dinner. Then I'm going down to my stepdad's range he set up in the basement and shoot the shit out of some pistols. Merry Christmas motherfuckers!!!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Oh I wasn't just talkin about our little tribe here... oh hell no!! I was referring to the whole damn planet!!

What I'm thinking is a simple break... globally!! A vacation from violence, terrorism, crime, etc... everyone takes time off from the day-to-day grind of human darkness!! Everyone needs a break sometime... it's lot of energy and work to hate, plot, plan and execute crimes against humanity... even more to try and prevent it and protect others from it...

I'm thinking... everybody sleep in, catch up on their laundry, whatever relaxing and productive you don't have time for due to killing or preventing killing others... a week or two or 4. What the heck... think of how refreshed every one would be if we gave it global break...
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...