Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Lou Reed/Metallica: Yep, It's Friggin' Ghastly

They've made an album with LOU REED!!!!

METALLICA's Secret Recording Project Revealed - June 15, 2011
    METALLICA's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"A few months ago our own Kirk Hammett hinted at a new METALLICA project that's 'not really 100 percent a METALLICA record.' While Kirk may have jumped the gun a little (and has since been properly punished with a series of push-ups!), we are more than proud to announce that we have just completed recording a full-length album that is a collaboration with none other than the legendary Lou Reed.

"Ever since we had the pleasure of performing with Lou at the 25th anniversary of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame at Madison Square Garden in October of 2009, we have been kicking around the idea of making a record together. Some of you astute Bay Area residents may have picked up news of recent Lou Reed sightings in the greater San Francisco area and we have indeed been working at our home studio at [METALLICA headquarters in San Rafael, California] on and off over the last few months. In what would be lightning speed for a METALLICA-related project, we recorded ten songs during this time and while at this moment we're not exactly sure when you'll hear it, we're beyond excited to share with you that the recording sessions wrapped up last week.

"A true innovator and easily one of the most influential songwriters, musicians, and performers in rock music history, Lou's work with the VELVET UNDERGROUND and as a solo artist has such an enduring quality that he has long been revered and respected by us and many of our peers. We can't wait for you to listen to the finished record, so as we like to hear ourselves say around here, keep watching this spot for updates . . . we'll be back with more details as they come together."
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
    Kirk Hammett hinted at a new METALLICA project that's 'not really 100 percent a METALLICA record.'

I bet it will 100% suck.

Hasn't been 100% since Cliff died.

I bet the store still charges us 100% of suggested retail.

I'd like to kick 100% of Lars' ass.

I bet they use 100% of the profits for more Armani shopping & cool sandals.

Maybe they can keep children & beach balls 100% off the damn stage.

Megadeth is 100% better than Metallica.

Sorry, that's 100% of the jokes I could think of right now. Although my love for Metallica bashing threads is still 100%.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I don't see anything wrong with recording with Lou Reed in and of itself. I just can't imagine Shitallica pulling it off.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VAiN
        Use my hand, I won't look
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

This should be... Umm... Interesting?? Maybe they'll package it with their Metallica Monopoly game that's coming out...
        Last edited by VAiN; 06-16-2011, 01:25 AM.
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

Exclusive: New album cover revealed!!!

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Well, I thought it was going to be another covers record.

This is a surprise. Kudos to them for doing it - having some fun and experimenting.

Now get on with the next album proper.
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The only thing worse than a Metallica 'song' is when they do a cover.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

These aren't covers if I've understood correctly.

Lou Reed has written the songs and both he and Metallica has arranged them. It's like them being his backing band. I think Pearl Jam did a similar thing with Neil Young at some point.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Hopefully Lou will sing.

And play the drums.

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

I believe that Lou is singing.

Rick Allen is playing drums. CC Deville is doing all of the solos.

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

This makes little, if any sense. Lou Reed's best work has more often than not been recorded very quietly, with all of the players in the room. The music is set at an extremely low level so as to reveal the complexity of Reed's lyrical themes. Even albums like the brilliant New York (which sounds blisteringly loud) were recorded in a quiet setting, one so low in volume that the drum set had to be muffled. For him to feel a need to play with these blustery blowhards that know next to nothing about subtlety is a real head-scratcher.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

This is fucking stupid.

I thought they reached their low point when they recorded Bob (suckass) Seger's turn the page.

Well, I would say Lou Reed has more integrity than Seger, so I do not think this is as bad as that. But it fucking sucks. Fucking idiots. What's next. Recording an album with Spamulus Flatulus?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

All these projects do is show how fucking narrow their ability is and how they should stick to that.

Their cover of Whiskey in the Jar stripped everything good out of the song and replaced it with toilet.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister

Their cover of Whiskey in the Jar stripped everything good out of the song and replaced it with toilet.
                            It did indeed. But I liked the cover of 'Turn the Page', and the Mercyful Fate covers were fucking epic. As was the cover of Skynrd's 'Tuesday's Gone'.

It's always going to be a mixed bag when you do covers though, isn't it.

However, experimenting - whether successfully or not - is a lot more admirable than knocking out the same things time and time again. AC/DC anyone? Has ANYTHING they've done since 'Flick of The Switch' held our attention?

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

I'd kind of hoped that the 'secret project' would be with king of the 'side projects' Dave Grohl. Essentially, I would have liked them to have re-recorded the best tunes of their first four records (ripping it live from the studio floor) with Grohl on drums and called it 'Here's What We Sound like With a Drummer'.

Comment

Working...