The Official 2010-2011 Notre Dame Fightin' Irish Sports Thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conmee
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Mar 2003

The Official 2010-2011 Notre Dame Fightin' Irish Sports Thread!!!

Gentlemen,

After lengthy negotiations with Pojo, my conscience, and a cadre of alumni focus groups, I've decided to run an official Notre Dame thread at BOTH Roth Army and DDLR.com. Besides the fact that someone said it was a TRAVESTY that a webbie at this fine site (RothArmy.com) would maintain an official thread at ANOTHER site, while leaving this site neglected, I will simply have to take on the responsibility I should have taken on prior to the start of the college football season, and run, for the time being, TWO official threads, one at each site. Consider it much like Miller Lite, one thread tastes great, and one is less filling. Considering the lower traffic volume at DDLR.com Sports Forum, I felt that blessing all the fine folks here with the daily/weekly Fightin' Irish (and as a bonus UNLV and San Diego franchise coverage as well) information and updates was the responsible, professional, admirable, charitable, and common sensical thing to do.

Thusly, and Ergoly, and finally.... I hereby christen thee The Official Notre Dame Fightin' Irish Sports Thread here at the Roth Army.

Now, just to get everyone up to speed on my affiliations and the Notre Dame football team, here is today's update:

The Fightin' Irish looked like a well-oiled machine in the first half against Washington, racking up 28 first-half points, and quarterback Brady Quinn throwing for 4 first half touchdowns and 4 for the game (the former breaking a previous record, the latter tying a previous record.... Montana and Theisman anyone?). However, in the second half, it looked as if Ty Willingham and Bill Deidrick (Off. Coord.) decided to go back to their usual ways of being more conservative and having Quinn throw incomplete passes. Notre Dame hasn't been able to put together a complete game since 2002. They started falling apart in the 4th quarter of their win against Florida State, and they haven't looked back since, putting up half-assed efforts in pretty much every game since, resulting in last year's 5-7 season record. A debacle by any self-respecting school's criteria.

At any rate, the Irish seem to have put together enough offense to school the state of Michigan (wins of UM and MSU) and they put the hurt on Washington as I've mentioned, after a lackluster and embarrassing start at BYU in which the Irish lost that game. Needless to say, they will have to bring their defensive A-game against Orton and Purdue, and they better have enough offense to put up 30+ again, because that's what it's going to take to beat Purdue this coming weekend.

Lastly, some folks are waiting for the Irish to return to the Top 25 rankings. I don't see it happening this week, simply because I'm not sure who will move out of the Top 25 to make room for the Irish. And besides, Washington isn't a good team, despite the Irish schooling them. So I fully expect a Top 25 ranking next week when the Irish take care of business against Purdue.

If the Irish can run the table (must get past Purdue, Stanford, Navy, and Boston College) up to the Tennessee game (at Tenn.), the Irish will be 7-1 and looking to make a big jump in the polls with a tough road-win against a formidable SEC opponent. Then it's just a matter of putting away Pitt, for a showdown at USC which, if ND is 9-1 and USC is 11-0 at that time, will have significant National Title implications. Of course, ND still has much to prove, but I'm confident that this year could be quite a pleasant surprise for the Irish faithful.

My own realistic expectations would be an 8-3 record and a Bowl win, since I can see the Irish beating Purdue, but stumbling against Tenn, and USC. And if BC plays ND like they always do, it's not out of the realm of possibility to think the Irish will go 7-4. Much better than last year, true. But damn haven't we fallen on hard times when a 7-4 record is considered "good" by many folks in the Irish camp. If Ty Willingham can't consistently produce at least 8-3/9-3 seasons (and that is simple job security) like that bore Lloyd Carr at UM, I don't see Ty coaching the Irish after his contract is up. Of course, we're talking about the same athletic director who hired Oleary, and the same institution that hired Faust, so I could be wrong.

GO IRISH!!!
    GO UNLV!!!!
    GO CHARGERS!!!
    GO PADRES!!!
    GO KINGS (Basketball and hockey if it ever comes back)

Icon.
    An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
    hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Yes...after offering up Icon...the following...

1. One case of Milwaukee's best...

2. four bottles of Mad Dog 20/20 (in varying flavors)

3. a vintage ron Powlus jersey

4. an autograph photo of Rocket Ismail in a thong

and

5. a Gerry Foust worn ND polo...

he conceded to bring an official ND thread here...

it's about time...

and...

I'm moderately surprised that Willingham has them sitting at 3-1...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Where's a bird cage when you need one....

Not else much that this raving lunacy is good for.....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        Where's a bird cage when you need one....

Not else much that this raving lunacy is good for.....
        I'm not an Irish fan by any stretch...but this is coming from a Penn State fan...

do they even have a football team?
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

LOL...

I tell you what, don't know if you saw the PSU-Wisconsin game, but I liked the 3rd string clipboard holder QB better than either Mills or Robinson....

Maybe there's hope for the future.... Remember that Anthony Morelli bolted from Pitt to go to PSU....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

LMFAO...I didn't see any of that game...

how did they play against Wisconsin?

Seriously...it's a strange day in college football when PSU is a complete non-factor...

I mean...nothing this year...

The only hope for the future...is a new coach...and they just reupped with the man...

Look...Paterno is a fucking coaching GOD...15 years ago...

I can't believe he won't move aside for the sake of the program that he build and made prominant...and got into the best conference in football...

Comment

• conmee
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

Goddammit!!!!!

I didn't come back to have you half-baked retards turn this into a Big 11 thread... lmao

Screw PSU and Wisconsin... PSU has turned into a Weekend At Bernie's made-for-TV sticom with rigormortis setting in on JoePa... next year they'll just wheel him up and down the sideline on a dolly or perhaps stand him up in stirrups on one of those Lil' Rascals that old folks use to get around grocery stores in...

At some point, you have to make decisions for the elderly when they no longer can make decisions for themselves... how many years of mediocrity from a comatose old man coach will PSU put up with just because the old coot at ONE TIME in the DISTANT PAST, led them to some modicum of greatness? It's over Johnny, bring in the next contestant.... lmao

Now, back to the topic... ND will take care of business against Purdue this week and be back in the Top 25 where they belong... Purdue might have a great quarterback, and also be known for chicken at an excellent price, but it all ends this Saturday at South Bend... lmao

GO IRISH!!!
              GO UNLV!!!
              GO CHARGERS!!!
              GO KINGS!!!!
              GO PADRES!!!!

Icon.

hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Well...it surely will be a proving ground for ND...

We'll see if they are for real this week...

I just don't think that Purdue is that good...unlike some that think they'll win the Big 11...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by conmee
                  At some point, you have to make decisions for the elderly when they no longer can make decisions for themselves... how many years of mediocrity from a comatose old man coach will PSU put up with just because the old coot at ONE TIME in the DISTANT PAST, led them to some modicum of greatness? It's over Johnny, bring in the next contestant.... lmao
                  I'd rather have a comatose JoePa than a half-ass politically correct stand-in as head coach.....

Comment

• conmee
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Mar 2003

You got something against black folk, you goddam Suthern Racist!!!!!!!!!??!!?!?! lol

Believe me, outside of some very powerful boosters still funding the PSU program, no one in that state would miss JoePa much... put him in a glass case next to the two national championship trophies for safe keeping and move on... Urban Meyer is just waiting for a higher profile gig than Utah... I was hoping ND would get him if they fired Ty after a loss to Michigan... but somehow Ty pulled out a win... so we'll just have to wait out Ty's contract. lol

GO IRISH!!!
                    GO UNLV!!!

Icon.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

As sad as I am to say this...Winningham is twice the coach that JoePa is right now...and that may be UNDERSTATING it...

If JoePa was at Notre Dame right now (and he would have been fired a long time ago), well...he'd be fired...and probably 1-3...

Urban Meyer supposedly will be coming to North Carolina next year...as the Spurrier rumors are just that...but Meyer's Utah boys will be coming to UNC to hand them their asses in a couple of weeks...

UNC just can't pay their football coach more than their basketball coach...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by conmee
                        Believe me, outside of some very powerful boosters still funding the PSU program, no one in that state would miss JoePa much...
                        What are you, a Rudy clone ???

Even your perverted mind has to realize what an incredibly ridiculous statement that was.....

PSU is in the middle of rebuilding, no doubt about it.... I personally think that their mediocre QB's have a lot to do with it.... And their run defense leaves holes that even Poj's beer belly can go through....

ALL TEAMS DO THAT....

Notre Dame sure as hell does that....

Ohio State sure as hell does that....

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Here's the difference between PSU and Ohio State at least...

OSU is rebuilding as well...and winning...

Their defense lost nearly everyone...and they are still good...

WHY? Because they outrecruit everyone in Ohio...and get some speed from Florida here and there...Tressell and his staff can recruit...

Now before you go and rip off names of all these great recruits that PSU has...

remember this...they've been rebuilding for what now...five years? You don't rebuild for five years my friend...

you get a new coach...

And you can't tell me that PSU fans in Pennsylvania aren't scratching their head...wondering why in the fuck this guy is still there...

It's more than the QB's...it's more than the "shitty run defense..."

It's lack of talent period...

No recruits...no win...

soon...new coach...

Should get Spurrier...someone who can breathe some damn life into that dead ass program...

I mean christ...Paterno is a damn peer of Bear Bryant and fucking Woody Hayes...

they're dead...

Comment

• conmee
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Mar 2003

I find it humorous that a guy living in Virginia with 12 kids who gets drunk on a sixer of light beer thinks he knows so much about PSU, and the state of Pennsylvania in general. Believe me, I'm not saying that no one reveres JoePa or respects his accomplishments, but by and large, fans younger than 35 can barely remember the last time JoePa did something of significance. Hell, I was 17 the last time PSU won a championship... and like you and Pojo, I'm one of the OLD BOYS around here... lmao

Look, JoePa deserves his props, no doubt about it. But he doesn't deserve to hold onto a job based on past performance that's almost two decades old... the only folks that get to hold onto jobs long after they're successful/useful/productive are union and Navy workers, and JoePa. lmao

GO IRISH!!!
                            GO UNLV!!!

Icon.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

Now...back to the matter at hand...

the unranked Irish (I'm surprised) go up against the number 15th Purdue Boilermakers this week...

You hear a lot of rumble about how good the Purduey's are...I don't buy into it...

with that being said...Orton is a really good qb...and Notre Dame brings a solid D against it...

I'm banking on Purdue mistakes to launch Notre Dame into the rankings next week...vaulting into the top 20...

we shall see...

Comment

Working...