X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

"David Lee Roth: Reunion Is Only 'Real' Van Halen Option"

*I apologize if this is a dupe. This article gives nothing new as far as info, but I don't think it's been posted here.*

David Lee Roth: Reunion Is Only 'Real' Van Halen Option
    by Mike Baron
    Feb 16, 2006

'Diamond' David Lee Roth said a singer hired from a TV search would only turn Van Halen into 'a novelty act.' If the revered rock band Van Halen really is in the market for a new lead singer through CBS-TV's "Rock Star" reality show, their first lead singer wants them to know he thinks it's a monumentally dumb idea.

Roth said he doesn't think the story is true because he has a "little bit of hope and faith that there's a little bit of something left of Eddie Van Halen's pre-frontal brain lobe."

Roth, lead singer of Van Halen (1978-1985) and now the morning host on WFNY (92.3 FM), also said yesterday on "Roth Radio" that he has a better option: Get the original band together for a reunion tour.

"People want the reunion," said Roth. "No one will pay respect to what any of us do [musically] until we get the reunion out of the way ... Once Eddie [Van Halen] does that, everything else he does can be seen with a fresh eye."
    Continue reading this article below

Roth has made no secret of his own enthusiasm for a reunion tour, indicating on several occasions that it would be a 'no brainer,' he's already gotten the okay from CBS Radio executives to take a leave of absence if such a tour happened.

"Van Halen would go out for three months," he said. "That's all Eddie could handle. And then the next morning, I'd be back at this mic at 6 a.m."

A tour would also make all of the members of the band quite a bit of change. Roth said the band already has offers on the table for $1 million a show, reports the NY Daily News.

However as much as Roth may want the band to reunite, he sure wasn't using sweet talk yesterday to warm his ex mates to the idea.

He compared Eddie Van Halen to Sly Stone, whose brief and ragged appearance on last week's Grammy telecast rekindled reports of substance abuse.

What's happened with Van Halen "may be on a par with what's happened with Sly Stone," said Roth.

"I wonder if that same thing is going on with Eddie Van Halen because he's socially retarded," Roth said, according to Page Six. "He's dooming his own project."

Roth also dismissed recent Van Halen shows as "lite rock" and said touring with a singer hired from a TV search would make the band "a novelty act."

He said the situation was different with INXS, the first band on "Rock Star," "because their original lead singer was dead."

He suggested the main reason anyone would watch Van Halen on "Rock Star" would be "the Gong Show factor ... seeing who screws up the most."

CBS has yet to announce its new "Rock Star" band but auditions will begin March 1 in Austin and come to New York March 8.

Link

-- Compiled from wire reports
  • light 'em up!
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2004

Re: "David Lee Roth: Reunion Is Only 'Real' Van Halen Option"

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    [B"David Lee Roth: Reunion Is Only 'Real' Van Halen Option" [/B]
    We've been saying it for years at the Army.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Dave nailed the situation, as usual.

Can almost hear the linkers saying "Dave's just desperate," even though they know he's right.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Dude...THIS IS ON THE FRONT FUCKING PAGE YOU WHORE....
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

HA!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
            Dude...THIS IS ON THE FRONT FUCKING PAGE YOU WHORE....
            Oh, like anybody ever goes there...

Comment

• jslav06
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              Oh, like anybody ever goes there...
              This is true. I haven't been to the front page since I joined. Which wasn't too long ago, but thats not the point.
              http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/jslav06/pbf.gif
              I rule because I make the Rules.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

LMAO!!!

Roth said he doesn't think the story is true because he has a "little bit of hope and faith that there's a little bit of something left of Eddie Van Halen's pre-frontal brain lobe."
                NO FUCKING SHIT!!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I actually check the front page from time to time...

Poor Dave...

We should have been counting the number of times Dave says "Van Halen" on the air...

I can see it now...

April 1 2006

During David Lee Roth's short three month stint as a Morning Radio Jock, Roth was noted to have mentioned the name Van Halen no less than 965 times.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

Well, whatever it takes to get ed out of his bottle.....hey...the bass player is hawking hot sauce...why shouldn't ed buy a brewery?

I mean, go into business doing something you know about....

He knows his alcohol...in fact he is on very intimate terms with alcohol.......

Comment

• bru87tr
                      Commando
                      • Apr 2004

I thought I heard last week Dave said they were offered 1 million a show. then went on to say as much as 1 million each per show!

I would have to say with inflation since 1983 and how 1 million isnt even considered being a millionaire these days I would have to think more along the lines of 1 million each per show. this will be the biggest concert in histroy and have a hard time thinking they would only get the same money they got in 1983 for the US fest when people will pay outrageous money to go see these guys back together.

when these guys mention a reunion again and the ball is rolling. it will be bigger than 1996. people will take stabs but this is the one concert and reunion people want to see. thing is over at the VHlinks those guys are gonna see once and for all who the true king is and the press it gets will be embarrassing for sammy hagar fans.

this will be the biggest concert/reunion in rock history and will have the world in a frenzy!!!!!!! these guys will break money and attendence records!!!!!

wait and see. it will happen!
                      "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Oct 2004

If there's a reunion, and they only go out for 3 months, that would probably mean no European dates, which would mean no UK dates (wow, that sounds familiar).
                        Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Oct 2004

I will say...its really getting to me now. Ed is a fool. For somebody who comes across as a whore for money, is missing a big oppurtunity.

Imagine the setlist...

Intro (something that involves Hagar's death)
                          Romeo Delight
                          Hot For Teacher
                          Me Wise Magic
                          So This Is Love?
                          Cradle Will Rock...
                          Beautiful Girls
                          Little Guitars
                          Meanstreets
                          Runnin' With The Devil
                          Eruption
                          You Really Got Me
                          Atomic Punk
                          SGMAD
                          Unchained
                          Panama
                          Dance The Night Away
                          Could This Be Magic?
                          Ice Cream Man
                          Drum Solo (don't want it, but its gonna happen)
                          Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
                          -------------
                          Intruder/Pretty Woman
                          Bottoms Up!!
                          --------
                          1984/Jump
                          Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                            Commando
                            • May 2004

It is quite obvious with the luke warm tickets sales of The Bore Tour, that breaking out the Hagar card did not produce a winning hand for the sisters. It generated 0 excitement. Their backs are against the wall. Trying to reinvent themselves without The Diamond One would be a fool's errand.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Oct 2004

Indeed...
                              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

Working...