man-oh-man, the rumblings and rumors I'm hearing...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RogueHorseman
    Commando
    • Apr 2004

man-oh-man, the rumblings and rumors I'm hearing...

Apparently, the finger pointing has already begun...

I have no first-hand access to the brothers, nor Dave or Sam, but have maintained close friendships in the radio and records community for over three decades due to my career there as a radio programmer for 17 years. I've worked more in the sports end of marketing/entertainment for the past dozen years... take this for whatever you consider it worth, I could care less, but speak the truth.

Also, I'm not here to start a piss-war with any hard-core Hargar fans. I must also openly admit to vastly preferring the Dave-era material, hands down, so Hargar fans will call me biased.... Whatever, I say. Business is business guys, no matter personal preference and this tour is apparently already being viewed as a failure in the making from within the various camps involved. At the top of the list is WB, from what I'm told. They have wanted Dave all along, all these years, anyway. Not out of any style preference, but because they only care about making the most money and have the research to show where the higher prencentage of fans will spend it.

For instance, there IS a real reason why the playlists of (cookie-cutter) rock stations in market after market play almost exclusively Roth era Halen tracks... RESEARCH clearly shows these as the songs the masses want and expect to hear along side their Stones, Floyd and Led Zep. The only solo songs that test especially well from Sammy are "One Way To Rock, "Can't Drive 55" and from his VH work "Why Can't...", "Finish What Ya Started" (Dave'ish by design, IMO) and amazingly enough, "Right Now". Virtually, the entire first six albums worth of material tests well in comparison, ala say, the enitre Zeppelin or SRV or Hendrix catalogs... Tunes like "Jump", "Unchained", and "Panama" test in the range of "Satisfaction" and "Stairway To Heaven". Dave told the truth when he said they were as known to the public as the Nike swoosh, he really was.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic... Besides the rumors of in-fighting already starting over the lackluster ticket sales, I'm hearing that the (mis)use of Dave era songs on the spots has NOT gone unnoticed by both some with a vested interest as well as a local fan group headed up by a wealthy attorney... He is said to be considering a class action suit filing to include each city, if not winnable, but to draw attention to the sham... I don't know about that one, but this is all so interesting and seems to have brought the Dave devotees together with a unified battlecry about as much as anything.

I'll be watching.

Last edited by RogueHorseman; 05-17-2004, 11:20 AM.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

well...even if it's not true...funny thought...and rather possible...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Big Troubles
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Feb 2004

Interesting post. But you are right about one thing. Poor tix sales draw a similar line towards the band NOT performing Dave-era tunes. No doubt about it. But if Van Hagar were to do Dave-era tunes, the backlash from that would be great as well. IMO. Dave sings Dave songs obviously, the best. I wouldn't want to hear Dave belt out "Why cant this be Love" anyways...Thats fucked up. picture Dave singing "Right Now"? Yuck I know. So the band had 2 options. Go with a full set list from 78- to present or just do Hagar era. I think (even though I hate Sam) they chose the right way to do it. I dont want to hear "I got my ass against the record machine..." anyways...
      "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by RogueHorseman

I have no first-hand access to the brothers, nor Dave or Sam, but have maintained close friendships in the radio and records community for over three decades due to my career there as a radio programmer for 17 years. I've worked more in the sports end of marketing/entertainment for the past dozen years... take this for whatever you consider it worth, I could care less, but speak the truth.

Also, I'm not here to start a piss-war with any hard-core Hargar fans. I must also openly admit to vastly preferring the Dave-era material, hands down, so Hargar fans will call me biased.... Whatever, I say. Business is business guys, no matter personal preference and this tour is apparently already being viewed as a failure in the making from within the various camps involved. At the top of the list is WB, from what I'm told. They have wanted Dave all along, all these years, anyway. Not out of any style preference, but because they only care about making the most money and have the research to show where the higher prencentage of fans will spend it.

For instance, there IS a real reason why the playlists of (cookie-cutter) rock stations in market after market play almost exclusively Roth era Halen tracks... RESEARCH clearly shows these as the songs the masses want and expect to hear along side their Stones, Floyd and Led Zep. The only solo songs that test especially well from Sammy are "One Way To Rock, "Can't Drive 55" and from his VH work "Why Can't...", "Finish What Ya Started" (Dave'ish by design, IMO) and amazingly enough, "Right Now". Virtually, the entire first six albums worth of material tests well in comparison, ala say, the enitre Zeppelin or SRV or Hendrix catalogs... Tunes like "Jump", "Unchained", and "Panama" test in the range of "Satisfaction" and "Stairway To Heaven". Dave told the truth when he said they were as known to the public as the Nike swoosh, he really was.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic... Besides the rumors of in-fighting already starting over the lackluster ticket sales, I'm hearing that the (mis)use of Dave era songs on the spots has NOT gone unnoticed by both some with a vested interest as well as a local fan group headed up by a wealthy attorney... He is said to be considering a class action suit filing to include each city, if not winnable, but to draw attention to the sham... I don't know about that one, but this is all so interesting and seems to have brought the Dave devotees together with a unified battlecry about as much as anything.

I'll be watching.

Suspicions confirmed, 'nuff said.

Truth hurts Hagarita fans, oh well....

EAT THAT & SMILE!
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• 5150Clown
          Head Fluffer
          • Mar 2004

Well...I just hope if Dave takes any legal action, it won't hurt the possibilities of a runion one day or for the hall of fame thing.
          "If Eddie & Dave would put asside their egos, Aerosmith would have to give up their tittle of the 'Greatest American Rock Band'"

Comment

• RogueHorseman
            Commando
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by 5150Clown
            Well...I just hope if Dave takes any legal action, it won't hurt the possibilities of a runion one day or for the hall of fame thing.
            If they keep Sam at the helm, I'm not so sure they'll be getting that spot in the hall so soon, myself. I would not bet on it.

Geez... Eddie is such an idiot when it comes to playing politics, over and over again. Not to mention giving the fans the finger time after time after time as well.

I don't think Dave is suing, but he is no doubt very mindful of having ascap numbers and royalties, etc. watched very closely after the band re-upped and ripped him off on that end a few years ago.

The in-fighting was apparently sparked by WB execs who fingered Eddie as a f*uck up, again. Who knows, they could be stirring the pot on purpose. As mentioned, they have wanted Dave back in for the better part of a decade now... and, curiously they seem to be in no hurry whatsoever to issue this second best of CD to run alongside this tour. I think it is obvious WB have no faith in the curent version of VH drawing big numbers, not on tour nor to the Best Buy shelves...

And, who could blame them after the way Eddie screwed the pooch the first time around. They lost millions upon millions, to put it flatly.

The lawsuit rumor goes that its a class action suit headed by an Atlanta attorney who is a big mark for Dave and was insulted by the use of Roth tracks to promote a tour that does not feature him at all. It was told to me in a joking style, as if it was not a winable case, but the attorney didn't care and was looking to create problems and expose the band publically and get some free press for himself... who knows, I'd put no stock in it but it would be a riot if true.

To me, Ed and Al, and Mike and Sam too, really are misleading cons to allow those spots with Dave singing all over them to air. We all know Clear Channel as the worst of bottom feeders, and they probably did initiate the con, but Ed and the others could have/still can demand it be stopped.

I ain't gonna be holding my breath, however...
            <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Can't really comment on the lack of ticket sales, as am not bothering to track how many have been sold at any one venue. Never thought the Van Hagar reunion tour would stiff in terms of attendance, as there are a lot of people who want to hear Eddie play, regardless of the context.

Warner Brothers is a business. Van Halen is a commodity. As soon as Ed began putting out records on a major label, he became as much product as he did a musician, and he's just not up to giving creedence to what we all know: classic Van Halen is the best choice for a Van Halen lineup from just a business point of view, musical tastes aside.

Have heard plenty of these Van Hagar radio ads for the upcoming shows that have nothing but classic Van Halen in the background as well, and it is misleading. Sure, anyone who's been following the band knows who the lead singer this time around is, but Halen has never been beyond using the image and memory of the classic version in an attempt to give legitimacy to non-Roth lineups.

Roth shouldn't bother with another lawsuit, though. Best just to let the commentary of the classic songs being used for the Van Hagar radio spots speak for itself.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Snoo

From what is being said, Dave wouldn't be suing, an attorney would.

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

"RogueHorseman" (this time)

Always enjoy your journalism..
                  BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• jesuskrice
                    Roth Army Recruit
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by 5150Clown
                    This whole thing with Spammy Gaydar has been a nightmare sinced he joined.........DLR desreves R&R Hall of Fame status.......as does pre 85 VH........ I wish Eddie could have seen the DLR House oF Blues Show last Summer then he would realize just how good those tunes really are.......But I am sure his ego keeps him at home............

Comment

• Keeyth
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jesuskrice
                      This whole thing with Spammy Gaydar has been a nightmare sinced he joined.........DLR desreves R&R Hall of Fame status.......as does pre 85 VH........ I wish Eddie could have seen the DLR House oF Blues Show last Summer then he would realize just how good those tunes really are.......But I am sure his ego keeps him at home............
                      Do you know of anywhere those of us who missed the DLR House of Blues Show last summer might be able to view some of the footage? Any video of that out there on the internet?? I really would have loved to have seen that myself, and if it's out there, Please let me know where!
                      Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• cwsmith17
                        Sniper
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by RogueHorseman

I'll be watching.

Very intelligent bullshit.

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                          Commando
                          • Apr 2004

Last edited by RogueHorseman; 05-17-2004, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                            Commando
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by cwsmith17
                            You should watch your step there, my very young and inexperienced friend.

Here, wipe that off before it dries and you look like an even bigger fool.

I lived it, little prick... MC'd it to the SRO crowds... Had your mom at will, at the snap of my fingers she came a runnin'

Comment

• Big Troubles
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by cwsmith17
                              Like a fly, showing up first at the scene of a shit dropping. Go away fly.
                              "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

Working...