• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
    Me likey the EL34s.
    Me too. I run two of them in the interchangeable slots on my Simul-Class Mesa MK III to get a little more "KONG" than you'd get running 4 6L6s.

Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      I have some 6505+ and 5150 II heads where I put a higher sweep bias pot in. That's the trick with these amps. Also you have to have good tubes with that first preamp tube being especially important. They like Electroharmonix 6L6 power tubes and Svetlanna preamp tubes. Then you bias them us real warm (Peavey biases them cold for better metal sound and realiability).
      You should really try to avoid invoking technical language you do not truly comprehend because, like Obama, you appear incompent and dim-witted.

Which is not far off from the truth.. however, we like to think better of our members than they really are.

But if you wanna override the cloaking of your stupidity, by all means go ahead and get technical.

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
        Me too. I run two of them in the interchangeable slots on my Simul-Class Mesa MK III to get a little more "KONG" than you'd get running 4 6L6s
        Four? To get more "kong"?

You mean you didn't try pulling the inner-two, or outer-two tubes yet, or what.. if you want more punch from a 100w, you force two to see the same current as four.. DUHH what a no-brainer!

Guys like you and the other guy really make this site suck with your unnecessary, uninspired banter; I'm OUTTA here!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
          Hey Nitro, did you know the 6534 is coming out in a few months? It is the 6505+ but with EL34s and a cleaned up clean channel and noise reduction. I'm definitely checking one out. Me likey the EL34s.
          Interesting. That actually might be my cup of tea. I rarely use the high gain channel and they use 6L6 power tubes because they tend to work better with a high gain preamp. I think Ed and James Brown designed a decent amp with potential, most people don't tweak the EQ right or run the power section too cold. The death metal guys like the cold bias but classic rock guys like less preamp distortion and more power amp distortion. There's a little for everybody in that amp actually so it sounds like the 6534 is geared more for the classic oriented people who want to peg it every now and then.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
            You should really try to avoid invoking technical language you do not truly comprehend because, like Obama, you appear incompent and dim-witted.

Which is not far off from the truth.. however, we like to think better of our members than they really are.

But if you wanna override the cloaking of your stupidity, by all means go ahead and get technical.
            Gar. A higher sweep bias pot means it covers a higher range of resistance. On a stock 6505+ you can turn down the resistance of the variable potentionmeter all the way and still not run the power tubes too hot. With a wider sweep potentionmeter you can reduce the resistance even more and run the power tubes hotter. This is a simple mod and a simple electronics fact of the less resistance on the control grid the more current that flows from the cathode to the plate on idle. If you knew anything about basic tube circuit electronics you wouldn't have slagged me and shown your ignorance.

Frankly I've worked for Hewlett-Packard, Lockeheed Martin, and The Department of Energy. What high tech have you worked in? It was an HP engineer that showed me the mod.

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Fuck off, GAyR.

Obviously GARfail has no concept of the Simul-Class power section (or anything else)...so let's correct:

Originally posted by GAyR
              Guys like me really make this site suck with my unnecessary, uninspired attempts at banter
              Ain't that the truth.

I'm OUTTA here!
              We should be so lucky.
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Poor little narcissistic balding Troll has his ass handed to him once again.

It's like thumping the shit out of an Alfred E. Neuman pinata...
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

If you knew anything about basic tube circuit electronics you wouldn't have slagged me and shown your ignorance.

Frankly I've worked for Hewlett-Packard, Lockeheed Martin, and The Department of Energy. What high tech have you worked in? It was an HP engineer that showed me the mod.
                  Mmm.. I'm not an engineer either, that's why I pay them to tell me I'm an ignoramus.

Btw what did you choose, audio or linear taper? Which value resistance?

Did you go throw a cheap cermet trimpot on there, or add a nice Bournes pot thru the top of the back chassis?

I'm a little ignorant yet so do help me out..

Comment

• VHfan99
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Mar 2010

I use the Marshall JVM just like Joe is using. Its a great fucking amp!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Me too. I run two of them in the interchangeable slots on my Simul-Class Mesa MK III to get a little more "KONG" than you'd get running 4 6L6s.

The EL-34 was Phillips Electronics brainstorm on giving 6L6 power in a smaller package. I have an old brochure from the Phillips Corporation where they are promoting their new space saving EL-34 power tubes. LOL! They are making it seem like they invented the transistor or something. Anyways, they never envisioned long hairs diming the fuckers into distortion. They don't last as long as 6L6 but a good pair do get a cool ass distortion vibe going. If you are hitting the power section hard, 34's are the way to go.

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

The EL-34 was Phillips Electronics brainstorm on giving 6L6 power in a smaller package. I have an old brochure from the Phillips Corporation where they are promoting their new space saving EL-34 power tubes. LOL! They are making it seem like they invented the transistor or something. Anyways, they never envisioned long hairs diming the fuckers into distortion. They don't last as long as 6L6 but a good pair do get a cool ass distortion vibe going. If you are hitting the power section hard, 34's are the way to go.
                        I like the ability to combine the two in the Simul-Class section...you get the best of both worlds. But I do prefer the distortion character of the EL34/6L6 combo to the standard; gives it a wee bit of "Marshall" flavor.

The JVMs are cool amps, too.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                          Sniper
                          • Oct 2009

Satch isn't a bad player at all, I love him! His "Surfin' With The Alien" tracks are killer. You guys just don't like him because he's in Sammy's new band, eh?
                          Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

I saw the "Surfin" tour waaay back. He was using Marshalls back then. Was surprised to learn he was relying heavily on the Boss Ds-1 pedal. (Not a big fav.of mine)

As for his music. I got a bit tired of weedly weedly guitar music at one point and needed a bit of a break from it. But in recent years I've come back to listening to Satch again.
                            Crystal Planet and some of his newer ones are great listening music. Great grooves and riffs. And he's changed a bit from simply jizzing all over every track to playing for the song alot better than his earlier stuff...

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                              I saw the "Surfin" tour waaay back. He was using Marshalls back then. Was surprised to learn he was relying heavily on the Boss Ds-1 pedal. (Not a big fav.of mine)

As for his music. I got a bit tired of weedly weedly guitar music at one point and needed a bit of a break from it. But in recent years I've come back to listening to Satch again.
                              Crystal Planet and some of his newer ones are great listening music. Great grooves and riffs. And he's changed a bit from simply jizzing all over every track to playing for the song alot better than his earlier stuff...
                              I saw him back in the day too, at the Whisky of all places. Did the backstage hang, he's a super nice guy. He's a great guitarist, a fact kind of wasted on Chickenfoot.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2004

I saw him back in the day too, at the Whisky of all places. Did the backstage hang, he's a super nice guy. He's a great guitarist, a fact kind of wasted on Chickenfoot.
                                What a waste of talent...

On a brighter note, he'll be the first to bail!

Comment

Working...