• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
    Ampeg is trash.
    The cabs they're selling at Best Buy are all from Vietnam, but there's no Mfr of Origin sticker on the back, and there's plenty of gripes on the internet reviewing how shitty the cabs are built now.

They've had trouble ever since that takeover group bought out or forced out whichever way you wanna look at it, St Louis Music and reincorporated it all under the name Loud which includes Mackie.

Their stock as St Louis used to trade as high as 18 dollars, now it's around ten cents.. and somebody this spring made a bet they'll do a comeback, buying a couple hundred thousand shares at one penny.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by GAR
      I was really impressed today with the Gallien Kruegar GK500.. it's a little bastard the size of a 4-stack high of pancakes!

It's fantastic, you can throw this bass head in yer gig bag...
      They used to make a really expensive guitar amp which was tiny as well and used by people like Gary Moore. Don't know why they stopped.

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

I keep asking them every namm show "why don't you bring back that little dual 100 watt lead guitar amp?" they say, nope.

I like the fourway eq on the gh-250ml.

Comment

• letsrock
          Veteran
          • Mar 2007

My son jordan plays his bass thru one of those "Accoustic" bass amps. It sounds nice for what it is.

Comment

• letsrock
            Veteran
            • Mar 2007

I could care less if Joe plays thru styrofoam cups with strings attaching them. Its just not important.

Comment

• indeedido
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

I love the JSX, it is a great amp capable of many tones. It is my main amp. I didn't get it because of Joe, I don't like his tone or playing, but the amp sounds like a hot rodded Marshall. That said, one has to wonder about the deal. Joe sought Peavey out to make him an amp not the other way around. From the outside it looked as if they did everything he wanted and they just made a 50 watt JSX voiced differently than the 100 watt JSX. Maybe Edward was right, they just didn't get it.

I wondered how long it was going to last anyway. Satch is a tinkerer and is always using some new pedal for his tones.
              This space for rent.

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by letsrock
                I could care less if Joe plays thru styrofoam cups with strings attaching them. Its just not important.
                The more the story is playing out, it appears to be a grave career mistake to switch towards endorsing Marshall when Peavey spent the time to work with him.

If Satch is under contract another 2 years it looks like he doesnt' honor his agreements, which is important if he's playing the hired gun playing with Chickenbreast.

Comment

• lesfunk
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  LOL! I don't like the look of those Peavey basses cabs. They look like they belong in a country western whore house in Reno.
                  That's where most Peavey stuff ends up
                  http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                    I was really impressed today with the Gallien Kruegar GK500.. it's a little bastard the size of a 4-stack high of pancakes!

It's fantastic, you can throw this bass head in yer gig bag...
                    Gallien Krueger always made good bass gear and the price is right. I have a nice bass rig that uses an old Alembic preamp and thre McIntosh 240 power amps running 100 watts mono. It sounds great but those McIntosh amps are boat anchors and worth a fortune now. To be honest, I play a Sansamp direct more and more. LOL!
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Pretty much. That or a Southern rattlesnake handling evagelist church.

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

So far as I know, Marshall cabs are still made in the UK, and are still the industry standard.

Peavey cabs weigh far more than marine ply, such as the Marshalls are made from. Peavey could give a shit should you dislocate your shoulder lowering a slant off a straight cab after a gig.. they're empty weight is double the marshall cab's empty weight, because they're made from 3/4 inch plywood and MDF particle board.

It's overboard and unnecessary to use such heavy plywood. Plus, the peavey is almost exactly 1/2 inch larger in both heighth and width dimensions, what for? So no one claims "oh Marshall copies tsk tsk" so who gives a shit if the dimesions are the same - Marshall figured out long ago "what is the biggest width we can go in making these things and still get them to slide in the backseat of a car" and that dimension is 28-29 inches.

I know. Peavey's wont fit in a Mercedes 300E without a fight, that half-inch is a make or break width and I got only one fucked up Peavey slant to prove it.

So there's reasons touring Europe why you don't wanna drag Peavey around with you. Because they are a drag!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

I have some Peavey stuff I like and their bass amps and cabs have a great reputation but that oval Peavey logo with the tolex covered wood drooping around it has to go! It's ugly and dorky looking.

Also Peavey is making a lot of stuff in China now. Only their high end tube amps and high end speakers are made in the USA. I played through a Peavey 2x10 and when I went to turn the horn tweeter down the label on the back said MADE IN CHINA.

To be honest, I like the new Carvin bass heads. MADE IN USA and you have a switchable pre amp tube, lot's of power and thing cost under $500 and weighs under ten pounds! I played through one the other day and loved it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                            So far as I know, Marshall cabs are still made in the UK, and are still the industry standard.

Peavey cabs weigh far more than marine ply, such as the Marshalls are made from. Peavey could give a shit should you dislocate your shoulder lowering a slant off a straight cab after a gig.. they're empty weight is double the marshall cab's empty weight, because they're made from 3/4 inch plywood and MDF particle board.

It's overboard and unnecessary to use such heavy plywood. Plus, the peavey is almost exactly 1/2 inch larger in both heighth and width dimensions, what for? So no one claims "oh Marshall copies tsk tsk" so who gives a shit if the dimesions are the same - Marshall figured out long ago "what is the biggest width we can go in making these things and still get them to slide in the backseat of a car" and that dimension is 28-29 inches.

I know. Peavey's wont fit in a Mercedes 300E without a fight, that half-inch is a make or break width and I got only one fucked up Peavey slant to prove it.

So there's reasons touring Europe why you don't wanna drag Peavey around with you. Because they are a drag!
                            Our guitar player uses Peavey 6505 cabs. They sound good but my hell, I had to drag one up a big flight of stairs and I know what you mean. Also the Tolex on Peavey cabs and the speaker mesh rip real easy. I think these cabs go for $700 a pop and so they aren't any cheaper than a Marshall 1960. To be honest, you can't go wrong with a Marshall cab. Lighter and bulletproof.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I have some 6505+ and 5150 II heads where I put a higher sweep bias pot in. That's the trick with these amps. Also you have to have good tubes with that first preamp tube being especially important. They like Electroharmonix 6L6 power tubes and Svetlanna preamp tubes. Then you bias them us real warm (Peavey biases them cold for better metal sound and realiability).

I kept coming back to my 5150 II and I used it for blues to heavy rock. If I tweak the EQ on the crunch channel I can get close to an old overdriven Marshall sound. So all these amps need is good tubes and a hotter bias setting and they are amazing. Not the best amp for single coils though but with humbuckers they are great!

Comment

• indeedido
                                Veteran
                                • Feb 2004

Hey Nitro, did you know the 6534 is coming out in a few months? It is the 6505+ but with EL34s and a cleaned up clean channel and noise reduction. I'm definitely checking one out. Me likey the EL34s.
                                This space for rent.

Comment

Working...