• Show
Clear All
  • Full Bug
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Michael Anthony: Eddie Van Halen 'Always Has To Have The Last Word'

MICHAEL ANTHONY: EDDIE VAN HALEN 'Always Has To Have The Last Word'

Sep. 22, 2009

Hector Saldaña of San Antonio Express-News recently conducted an interview with former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT bassist Michael Anthony. A few excerpts from the chat follow below.

On touring with CHICKENFOOT:

"It's been a fun party on the road and off the road. We're having a great time and it's because this thing all grew out of friendship. It just makes it that much more enjoyable."

"(Playing) in-between Chad [Smith, drums] and Joe [Satriani, bass], my jaw's on the ground every day, and of course, Sammy. He's gonna be 62 and the guy can still wail."

On whether he's really doing all those tequila and Jack Daniel's shots onstage:

"Oh, yeah. This isn't Vince Neil here. There's guys that say, 'Oh, that's iced tea.' I'm actually a 'Tennessee Squire' and own a chunk of land in Jack Daniel's (country). A Tennessee Squire is an elite group of people. They catch me putting iced tea in my Jack Daniel's bottle, that's it."

On Hagar (a tequila man) and Anthony getting into drinking contests onstage:

"Which was pretty whacked out for my liver, man. I drink Jack Daniel's. I drink tequila. But you do it in moderation. I'm trying to grow old gracefully. I've got to at least grow old."

On last year's VAN HALEN reunion tour, which saw Wolfgang Van Halen playing bass:

"I caught a little of it on YouTube and word of mouth. I found out they were doing that reunion like everybody else did. Eddie (Van Halen) would go, 'Oh, he's playing with Sammy now.' My phone's always here. I jammed with Sammy because I wasn't asked to do the reunion."

On how it got to that point:

"Why does a marriage get to a point? How come Jon and Kate plus eight? How come they're all (expletive)? After a while, it's a big corporate business.

"It's weird because it almost takes something like CHICKENFOOT to make me realize why I was playing music in the first place. And that's to have fun."

On whether there has ever been a sit-down with Eddie Van Halen:

"Unfortunately, with someone like him, you can't because he always has to have the last word."

On the fact that only he and Hagar showed up when VAN HALEN was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:

"That was weird. You can't put your crap aside even for one evening? At this point in my career and my life, I want to have fun. I'm not 20 years old anymore. If I was still in my 20s, I'd say, 'Bring the fight on.' But I want to hang out with people that are positive and upbeat. Sammy? You don't get much more positive than this guy."
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"
  • dazzlindino
    Head Fluffer
    • Jul 2009

Sammy should hang out with Jarred at subway....that fat fuck.......
    I want my music waking up the dead.....dont tell me to turn it down

Comment

• damngoodtimes
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

for the "nicest guy" Mike fuckin' Anthony always has something to say about VH. I know the reporters are asking him questions, but he always has to take a shot.

I suppose he's having trouble getting over it, even though he's supposed to be so happy that he's moved on.

fuck him.

and he's still stealing Dave's material with the iced tea reference.
      David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
      — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yeah, but Ed is still kind of a dick when it comes to anything Van Halen related.

I'd be pissed if they tried to spray-paint me off the album covers too...

Comment

• JonesyVH84
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Sep 2009

Its funny to me he is coming out like this and having his war of words with Ed. Seriously before chickenshit he would keep his mouth for the most part shut about Ed and wouldnt crack whip but now he is speaking in what his mind is the truth which granted he has every right to considering but I truely feel that Sammy has his hand up Mikes backside and is litterally having him open his mouth to try and get chickenfoot over more to the Van Halen faithful so that when the new Album does indeed come out (which I truely believe it will next year) these words will take the luster away from us fans which is ridiculous since its a damn VH album with Dave and MA or no MA its gonna rock and it sure as hell will go platnum but then again Sammy is such an under handed jackass he wants to make sure Chickenshit beats out Van Halen on sales and popularity. To make this long written opinion short the fact is this Sammy and MA know that Van Halen is gonna eclipse them and they know that they wont make the money on the road like VH did two years ago dont get me wrong I think mike is a damn good bass player and a hell of a good humble guy but as long as sammy is playing him like a butt puppet I can't say I can respect his jabs on Ed.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

You guys are missing something.

The idiot who wrote that article somehow thinks bassplayer is playing guitar for the band. After all, he/she/it seems to think Satch is playing bass.

What a fucking moron.

Hey, bassplayer is allowed to say whatever he wants about spEd. spEd has treated him like shit for the past decade (or more), so what the fuck. He is allowed. Just my $.02.

I do get tired of hearing them all run their fucking mouths though. They should get together with some Smoking Loon, some Jack Daniels and some of Spambo's tequila and have a big reach-around butt-rape party. Maybe then they will fall in love again, and shut the fuck up.
            Last edited by Hardrock69; 09-22-2009, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Keeyth
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Apr 2004

True, and there are still those who won't go see the 'reunion' until it is a real reunion with all 4 originals. I saw Wolfie play, and he CAN play, but it still wasn't what it would have been like with Mike there... ...fucking Eddie just can't get along with people. He always has to be in some shit storm with somebody. It's just sad at this point, and at his age. Long live the original VH!
              Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• JonesyVH84
                Roth Army Recruit
                • Sep 2009

I agree if bassplayer wants to say his two cents then he should EVH has talked his shit so he should take shit but my point is that with Chickenshit gaining molmentum like it honestly has been in the rock community I know Mike is getting more comfortable with the situation at hand and Bette is trying to piss on Ed and the rest of Van Halen while they are gaining steam. It just feels like to me that Bette is trying to use this so called band and compete with the almost Mighty Van Halen (nothing against wolfie but I agree MA needs to be in there)

With Chickenshit's sucksess I just feel mike feels like he is in a good place right now he is happy but its just interesting to see that after everything that has happend over the years with Ed's insecure drunk shit talk about MA and even Alex talking shit about Mikey that he just now comes out and finally retaliates to Ed. I am glad he is sticking up for himself but is it truely him talking or is it Bette feeding him lines because to me I have heard all of this stuff before in the past but its Bette speaking for MA not MA speaking for himself.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Full Bug
                  "(Playing) in-between Chad [Smith, drums] and Joe [Satriani, bass]
                  I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

The truly sad thing is all of these entertainment reporters who think that they're getting some "scoop" by asking Mike Anthony to comment on Van Halen, or by asking Eddie to comment on Chickenfoot.

Are they thinking "here comes my Pulitzer!" for this ridiculous bullshit?

This shit has been hashed and re-hashed so many times over that it's stale, formulaic, and totally predictable.

The bottom line is this:

Ed treats people like shit. He's a hypocrite who talks out of both sides of his mouth, which is easy when your tongue has been split open surgically. Ed will argue whatever angle is convenient for his current circumstance.

Ed has never had the courage of his convictions, because if he did, the following would be true (and this is just a small slice of a VERY long list):

1. Ed would be playing tuba professionally.
                    2. David Lee Roth would not be singing in Van Halen
                    3. His son Wolfgang would be out of Van Halen because he jumped into a band with some kids his own age, and as Ed says, "you can't be in two bands."

As for Michael Anthony...yes, mullet-boy got a raw deal. Yes, he has a right to be pissed because of how he was unceremoniously dismissed and subsequently airbrushed off the album covers.

But by the same token, he needs to get over it. If he really just wants to "be happy" and hang with "upbeat positive people", he needs to stop letting himself get baited into talking shit about VH by some loser reporter from the entertainment section of some shit newspaper from a minor market town.

If he really meant what he said, he would dismiss the VH questions and just say "I'm happy playing with Chickenfoot, and I'd like to talk about that." But he doesn't do that. He always has to take a shot across their bow.

This stuff only has relevance to people like us. To the world at large, the circular drama of the VH brothers, Sammy, and Mike means absolutely nothing.
                    Originally posted by perilouspete
                    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Exactly.

And I agree the journalists can't get over asking bassplayer about spEd, or vice-versa, in the scandal-mag hope that it can get a headline.

I am glad Chickenshit is being a success, but not because I really care about them.
                      I just like to see actual musicians making it in this biz, meaning, people who are not RAPPERS.

Comment

• thome
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Mar 2005

WOW!..that is what you guys got out of that article??...Weird?

Comment

• Antman
                          Commando
                          • Jan 2004

I'm gonna play both sides of the coin here.

Mike got fucked plain and simple. Replaced by a 17 yr old who up until this point only played his school talent show. He found out via the internet. He wants to play and not sit on his ass. He likes hot sauce and put out his own line. Big fuckin deal.

On the other hand, it's Ed's fuckin band.

What would you rather have 3/4 original with Wolf or 3/4 original with Sammy? I choose the former.
                          When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Nothing we didn't already know really is it?

Mike just sounds tired of the whole damn thing.
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2007

Mike is tired of NOT making Van Halen money.

And I would be tired of watching two over-the-hill sidemen having onstage drinking contests.

They should stick to geritol at this point. Knock off the "party boy" routine.

They can't get the good ol' days out of their collective heads, can they?

Dutchman is right. It should have went like this;

Interviewer: How do you feel about VH touring with Wolfie?

MA:I'm in a new band, CHICKENFOOT, and I'm happy. It doesn't matter anymore.

But NOOOOOOOOOO..

Comment

Working...