X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Seller's Remorse

We've probably all done it at one time or another, but what's some of the gear (or THE ONE piece) you've sold off over the years due to boredom, financial constraints, stylistic switches, whatEVER....?

Let's hear about 'em.

For me, it was getting rid of my first real guitar (started on a crappy Memphis copy), a 1980 Fender Lake Placid Blue "The" Strat, a then special edition with Gold-plated "Brassmaster" (sounds too much like "assmaster") bridge & hardware, a hotter-wound bridge pickup and a phase switch instead of the second tone control.

I sold her a few years later, right after high school to help finance parts for my first Charvel mutt, still in use today, so no regrets there.

The remorse-factor is merely sentimental, because in all honesty I like the way my current Strats sound, play and look better anyway...the neck on that thing was a giant U-boat shape, not comfortable at all...but still she was my first REAL one.

I kinda miss my Fender Vibro-Champ too, but those are seemingly a lot easier to find if I ever wanted to replace it...

Anybody else gotten rid of something they're still kicking themselves about decades later?
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.
  • ThrillsNSpills
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

I had a BC Rich Warlock that I loved and got rid of.
    It was a lot lighter than most models. Wouldn't stay in tune for anything but the neck had a great feel and the tension was such that it was easy to get in the zone where you can play to the best of your ability quickly.

All the other things I've sold I could care less about but that one I miss.
    Hmm, got rid of a Jackson Dinky Reverse that I didn't miss after getting a soloist.

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Just thought of a couple more things

I kinda regret getting rid of a couple of my original MXR pedals from back in the day too. They've since been replaced with reissues in the last few years, and while I think a MicroAmp is pretty much a MicroAmp, the Distortion + reissue doesn't seem to have the same mojo...not like I need it with my current Boogie set up. I don't need no steeking Distortion pedals!
      The Phase90 reissue sounds fairly close to how I remember the old block logo ones sounding, but I ended up replacing that on my pedalboard for the EVH Phase90 to take advantage of the extra headroom and the "script" function, which it's pretty much left on, I can't remember the last time I used the "block" mode.

So the reissue block-logo Phase90 and Distortion + are now basically tucked away for a rainy day, as it were....
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Sarge
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

That is a nice Strat!
        I regret getting rid of this a Gretsch Power Jet.
        It ws really nice, but I needed the money for another sale.

I also got rid of the PRS Swamp Ash Special. One of the nicest guitars I have had, but it was showing fretwear.
        ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
        The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
        [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

I have a triple regret here. I regret trading my early 80's Hiwatt 50 head (because I worked my ass of to buy it when I was 17) for a Marshall 25/50 Anniversary head(grey tolex) and I regret selling the Marshall head to gather funds for my first rack setup (Rocktron ProGAp w. Midimate controller+ Digitech DSP 256+ Peavey stereo power amp).

The Hiwatt was a 2 input model that could blow away any 100 watter I jammed with. Plus, in hindsite is def. carried sentimental value. The Marshall had unbelievable tone and I wish I'd kept it. (Young and foolish I guess)...
          And the Rocktron Progap? It currently sits in a closet collecting dust since I replaced it with my Tech21 PSA-1. (no regrets here, btw). I still use the DSP-256 in my rack. It's 16 bit processing produces warmer delay, chorus and verb tones, to my ears...
          The Peavey is collecting dust as well. It can't compete with my Marshal EL 34 Dual Monoblock ...
          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Sarge
            That is a nice Strat!
            Thanks, I sorta miss her these days. She's like the one that got away.
            Yeah, even if I didn't play it (and I know I probably wouldn't), I wish it were still in the family as it were, even if only sitting on a stand collecting dust.

What's really ironic is I think I saw it (not a similar one) hanging in a GC store here several years back (I sold it before moving to LA)! I can't remember the exact serial number, but it was close, and the real clincher was it has the exact same ding in the finish on the underside of the body (opposite where the output jack is) that my Mom and I'd made them knock $100 off the purchase price when I bought the thing new!
            What are the odds of my old guitar making it here, too? The guy that owned the store I sold it to back in the day actually said he'd sold it twice over the years (it was the ONLY one like it in my small town, and the original buyer after me brought it back in years later to trade on something else); he does sell shite online to GC occasionally so I guess it could happen...

Sentimental vibe wasn't hitting me as hard then, and I didn't have the cash anyway...and there was still that 'neck like a baseball bat' issue...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Igosplut
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

All I have is car regret, but know what you're talkin about....
              Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

That could be an epic thread too...lol!

Originally posted by Igosplut
                Me too, but that's a whole 'nother thread, pal...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• standin
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2009

I always wonder about most all the cars I have had...
                  To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                  MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

I had traded my first guitar, a Kay that was so shitty and insufficient an instrument that it begat all the guitar-buying I've done to this day.

I traded that (130 plus tax paid), plus a Lotus hollowbody 335-style copy (15), and the Harmony 300 (25) amp plus $100 cash for my Ibanez Les Paul goldtop I got from Bill Hicks at the Peck Road DriveIn swap-meet. Bill was this jazz guy from Monrovia who sat and played under the screen all morning selling amps and guitars. He wanted $250, and I haggled him for months over it.

I had that two years, then traded it to a guy who moved to South Carolina for a car that went junk a month after I got it running, a FORD. I was working in a factory and needed a car because I was always late.

It had a certain distinctive band logo screened on the hardshell case.. I always wondered what happened to it: "IC" logo on Gibson-copy headstock no serial, the neck was super-slim mahogany, the body was of the same honey-colored Koa they made the following years' Flying V and Destroyers from.

That one was my biggest remorse, the Paul copy.

I had other gear worth way more, but meant less: a 61 Bassman blonde w matching cab, also had my first Marshall stack.. sold off piece by piece after I moved to Hollywood and learned from the other bands that nobody pays attention to perfect tolex so I started getting into the torn cabs thing. I got that stack from Dr Music, apparently owned previously by Ronnie Montrose and traded towards a Martin. Paid 1000, sold 5 years later for 1100 serial #1550L and wonder what happened to that one. But it was nothing special besides that classic steel-panel master vol sound.

I've had guitars I built from scratch however, that friends had really really pressured me to sell that held grudges on me for not selling. That is more uncomfortable than that "Rosebud" effect, for me.

But every piece of gear I've sold has had the money put into a replacment piece. For example (and this is just my rule) lets' say you have a guitar you paid $1000 for, you sell it for 12 well you made 200. My rule is, you put at least the 1000 back into a new guitar, or towards a better quality guitar costing more.

I'll never find that IC goldtop Les Paul copy though with the band logo case. Some collector fag has it and it will never ever turn up. I know that!
                    Last edited by GAR; 11-30-2009, 01:13 AM.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Igosplut
                      All I have is Gar regret....

I regret he ever got a library card....

Originally posted by Kristy
                      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                      Originally posted by cadaverdog
                      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

What - no buttplug remorse from a torn sphinx?

Comment

• Sarge
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Opps here we go...
                          Actual picture of the guitar by the way.
                          No car remorse here..
                          I do have a few remorses when it comes to women.
                          ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
                          The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
                          [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                            my first real guitar a 1980 Fender Lake Placid Blue "The" Strat
                            I was talking about Lakwood Pawn before, I've picked a few guitars out of there and stop by sometimes since it's right off the 405.. well, there's one of those Fender Elite series just like this, 1983 the last year but in Shoreline Gold for $699 asking price:

Custom Color body and matching headstock, made in USA
                            Custom Alembic Active preamps
                            Custom Alembic single single humbucker config pickups
                            Custom Roland GK-1 MIDI internal installation
                            Hardshell case

Only problem, like its really a problem, is it's a Hardtail. No tremolo.

Good semi-dingless condition, soft-V neck shape, factory Schallers. Just saw that tonite..

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

I found a brand new Gibson Explorer in a pawn shop for $250. Had to sell it as I needed the money. Got $350 for it, but it was such a steal I regret having to sell it.

In the late 80s, I found an early 70s 50-watt Marshall head for 300 bucks. Had to sell it, needed the money. Regret selling it.

It was after I sold it I decided to never again sell a piece of gear due to "needing the money". And so I have not.

Comment

Working...