X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

6534 Amp

I ordered one and it came yesterday. I really like it. It's rounder and warmer than the 6505 and can get that old VH tone better but you still have tons of balls if you want them. It's very friendly with hum bucker guitars but not so good with single coils.

No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Fantastic!~

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

whatwhatwaht... (4:00) Stevens TruSonic speakers!

FWOK! I want to know more right away about this !

Particularly, are they just a "bought-trademark" ie are they Trusonic in name only or design too?

That tone at 4:00 is dead-on the tone I had up till 2003 the rig that got ripped off. I use something totally different now.

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

This sounds like IMO Peavey's best modern tube amp yet.

Low-end, with a bit of sizzle, but clean highs with alot of clarity and I wonder if the speakers have alot to do with it, or does the head sound similar to the JSX and previous-issue James Brown designed amps of the past when used with a Celestion-loaded cab.

My old cabs had a mix of Celestions for the dirty cabs and Altecs for clean-dirty, multi purpose depending on channel select.

But my mic'd cab had mint, perfect TruSonics - they were an associated company of JBL/Altec until 1961 when purchased by a guy in my town Bob Crooks who ran Standel.

My speakers were vented voice-coils with the gold titanium dustcap, Model SS-120. So fucking heavy I had to re-fit the Marshall straight's teenuts for 6mm, then regrille it.

Makes me wonder if that guy Danny who tried to ressurrect Standel sold out to Peavey. If that's the case.. oh man! Id love to have a wall of brand-new Trusonic 12's.

Next to the Altec 412B-16H (which got a bit honkey-sounding above saturation volume) that set of Stevens/Standel Trusonics really held up.

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
          Sniper
          • Oct 2009

Sounds like some sick shit dude! Bet it cost a pretty penny. I've played a 6505 on half volume and my ears still regret it. I bet this one can kill people...
          Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

1_c13c095781002f462f097d1eed00ccea.jpg ........

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

These things are expensive. I can't get used to the idea of buying a Peavey for that amount of money.

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

I have been searching and can't find much about the speaker, that's my interest.

The head? It sounds great, "first Peavey amp to incorporate the el34 output tube for a truly British character" DUHH

Geez. 1968 to 2010 its like 40 years since Hendrix's passing 'till they realize they can make an EL34 amp without suffering the slur "Marshall copy."

Even after the EVH association.

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by GAR

That tone at 4:00 is dead-on the tone I had up till 2003

Fuck. If I had a set-up that sounded like that, I'd be noodling around on my guitar every spare hour I had.

Sounds great.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Way better than the 5150's. Way better.. I'll learn more about it in January at NAMM if I go.

6L6 tubes = way colder running tube; requires lower voltage and smaller transformers.

That buzzbox made Peavey a lotta money, it had a popular endorsee. This amp is gonna require more maintenance but sounds way better.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

But here at least you can get an equivalent 100W Marshall head second hand for a quarter of the price so I'm a bit cuntfused.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                        Fuck. If I had a set-up that sounded like that, I'd be noodling around on my guitar every spare hour I had.

Sounds great.
                        Sounds great and the guy is playing an Epiphone through it. It just screams with a better guitar. I once played a 5150 converted to EL34's and it sounded flat and dead. I think Peavey did more with the amp than just change the power tubes and they made a special speaker cab for it as well. I'm using mine with a Marshal 1960B cab and it sounds great.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          But here at least you can get an equivalent 100W Marshall head second hand for a quarter of the price so I'm a bit cuntfused.
                          Good used Marshalls are expensive here. Also if you have problems with some of the newer ones, the customer service isn't good here. I've had very good luck with Peavey in regard to customer service. Our band is using more and more of their stuff.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VanHalenFan5150
                            Sounds like some sick shit dude! Bet it cost a pretty penny. I've played a 6505 on half volume and my ears still regret it. I bet this one can kill people...
                            My main gigging amp is a 6505+ and if it's up past half way it's a fucking jet engine at takeoff. I can dime a 100 watt Marshall and it isn't as loud as the 6505+ running a tad under half. I don't know what it is but these are the loudest 100 watt heads I've played through. You are right, these beasts are scary!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I paid $1100 for the amp. I paid $900 for my 6505+ new five years ago. So not a bad price considering the US dollar doesn't buy what it used to. Compare your health care and grocery prices to five years ago.

Comment

Working...