Van Halen - The Downtown Sessions - "You Really Got Me" Video...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hummarstra
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
    Kind of embarrassing I think...

Is Dave trying to imitate Bugs Bunny ??

That's really not very good at all...

Elvis thanks for saying what I don't have the balls to say. I don't want upset the faithful, but I won't be seeing this tour.

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Who complains about bonus material?

Jesus......
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by binnie
        Who complains about bonus material?

Jesus......
        Exactly.At least you guys can see it.All i got was joan jett and the blackhearts
        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Nah, I couldn't see it either.
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hummarstra
            Elvis thanks for saying what I don't have the balls to say. I don't want upset the faithful, but I won't be seeing this tour.
            Making the final call, pre Album release Hummarstra ? Thats a big call....
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Carmine
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2004

This is cool and all...I enjoy it....nice bonus material for the album but, please leave it there and dont bring it on tour. Panama and Beautiful Girls are listed as tracks on the Downtown bonus and I would hate too see both of those songs played acoustically on tour.

I saw Metallica do the 4 horsemen acoustic live and kinda threw up in my mouth during the opening twangs...

I prefer that the only strummin' I see at a Van Halen show is Dave pickin' the intro to Ice Cream Man...

(unless they wanna pull out Take your Whiskey Home)
              Last edited by Carmine; 01-19-2012, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Carmine

I saw Metallica do the 4 horsemen acoustic live and kinda threw up in my mouth during the opening twangs...
                mate, we both know metallica aint worthy of doing the laundry for the mighty =vh=

Comment

• Carmine
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2004

True, I'm just saying, I dont want to hear an original, powerful song reduced to twangs just because it's different.

Any band that does it live...I head for the beer stand. I hate it...

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

cool carmine, i should reserve judgement because i haven't even heard it yet. but from the comments i'm reading it's an intimate off the cuff fun pisstake.
                    not trying to 'acousticize' a big hit in a stadium. ah, i know i'll love it anyway!!!

fuck yeah =VH= 2012.

Comment

• Jetstream
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Dec 2011

people need to take this in mind...this is the Van Halen mood we grew up with in the beginning and by that I mean the attitude. Did anyone notice them grinning in this, did anyone notice Eddie laughing after it? It is a laid back WTF thing...something Van Halen was not scared to do way back in the day. They were the biggest party band because of this intimate WTF approach and not worrying about what the hell people thought. Dave wasted and going "I forgot the words!" was the rock equal of Miles Davis turning his back to the audience in jazz, and it was cool. Van Hagar had no personality, so they prided themselves on a robotic performance to play the junk Hagar wrote to sound just like the LP (why even go to the concert, just stick in the disc and you get the same boring experience). These guys are having fun again, they want us to have fun with them and not play American Idol judges...and Steve Tyler, get the shit out of that lame job, Aerosmith wants their lead singer fully back like Van Halen got their lead singer back. Van Halen has its soul back, and the masses are going to get educated that rock is about fun again.
                      I got lost in the...

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Carmine
                        True, I'm just saying, I dont want to hear an original, powerful song reduced to twangs just because it's different.

Any band that does it live...I head for the beer stand. I hate it...
                        the irony here is the original song was kinda twangy

Comment

• J-Axe
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Dec 2005

Arggh.. video no worky in my area.. don't upload it and tell me about it then!
                          http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/96/vhwall1712wx.jpg

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

I'm REALLY surprised at some of the backlash coming out in this thread.

For years, we all bitched (yes, ALL OF US...including myself) about the lack of anything coming out of "Howdy Doody Mountain." We begged for anything, even the most miniscule shred of news, information, or new material. We kicked, we screamed, we vented our frustrations in these very forums. We vilified the brothers for stonewalling, and even took DLR to task himself a little bit for staying mum and giving the appearance that he was towing the company line. We called for their collective heads because they wouldn't open the vaults.

Now, our patience has been rewarded tenfold. We have been bombarded with news, information, tour dates, album release dates, a new single, a club gig, and an intimate exclusive relationship with DDE. Not only has Van Halen released a new album, they've also included a bonus DVD of acoustic jams. It's all we ever wanted and more, but somehow people find a way to moan, complain, and bitch that it's "not good enough." Everybody needs to remember that these are older guys now with a lot of miles behind them.

Is the acoustic YRGM perfect? No, it's not. But it's an acoustic jam, it's meant to be dirty, raw, and contain a few blemishes. And Dave himself knew it, because during the intro he said something along the lines of "be forgiving." (I don't remember his exact words.)

It's awesome to see them sit down as a band and do something like this for the fans. And even if you're not terribly keen on the performance, you should at least respect the time and effort that they're putting in to make us all happy and rekindle our fires as TRUE FANS of Classic Van Halen.

There's a lot of good takeaway from this, not the least of which is that Wolfgang continues to prove his chops both with the instruments and with his voice. There was nowhere to hide at Cafe Wha?, and there was certainly nowhere to hide during an acoustic performance. Personally, the backing harmonies on this were pretty damn good. A little rough on the first outing, but as the song progressed things got tighter.

Everybody should holster their criticism a little bit and enjoy the wonder of what we're experiencing. Who knows if it will ever pass this way again?
                            Originally posted by perilouspete
                            fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Carmine
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                              the irony here is the original song was kinda twangy
                              hahhahahaaaaa...ok, Ash...you really got me now! I concur...

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by ELVIS
                                That's really not very good at all...
                                Funny.....I had the same thought when your ban was lifted.
                                Originally posted by perilouspete
                                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

Working...