President Obama finally "evolves" in his views on marriage equality.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

President Obama finally "evolves" in his views on marriage equality.

President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage
    By Rick Klein | ABC News Blogs – 32 minutes ago

President Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.

In an interview with ABC News’ Robin Roberts, the president described his thought process as an “evolution” that led him to this place, based on conversations with his own staff members, openly gay and lesbian service members, and conversations with his wife and own daughters.

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama told Roberts, in an interview to appear on ABC’s “Good Morning America” Thursday. Excerpts of the interview will air tonight on ABC’s “World News with Diane Sawyer.”

The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he’s confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept.

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” the president continued. “You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, sexual orientation that they believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Roberts asked the president if First Lady Michelle Obama was involved in this decision. Obama said she was, and he talked specifically about his own faith in responding.

“This is something that, you know, we’ve talked about over the years and she, you know, she feels the same way, she feels the same way that I do. And that is that, in the end the values that I care most deeply about and she cares most deeply about is how we treat other people and, you know, I, you know, we are both practicing Christians and obviously this position may be considered to put us at odds with the views of others but, you know, when we think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated. And I think that’s what we try to impart to our kids and that’s what motivates me as president and I figure the most consistent I can be in being true to those precepts, the better I’ll be as a as a dad and a husband and hopefully the better I’ll be as president.”

Previously, Obama has moved in the direction of supporting same-sex marriage but has consistently stopped short of outright backing it.

Instead, he’s voiced support for civil unions for gay and lesbian couples that provide the rights and benefits enjoyed by married couples, though not defined as “marriage.” At the same time, the president has opposed efforts to ban gay marriage at the state level, saying that he did not favor attempts to strip rights away from gay and lesbian couples.

The president’s position became a flashpoint this week, when Vice President Joe Biden pronounced himself “absolutely comfortable” with allowing same-sex couples to wed.

Obama aides insisted there was no daylight between the positions held by the president and his vice president when it comes to legal rights, but as other prominent Democrats also weighed in in favor of gay marriage, the disconnect became difficult for the White House to explain away.

The announcement completes a turnabout for the president, who has opposed gay marriage throughout his career in national politics. In 1996, as a state Senate candidate, he indicated support for gay marriage in a questionnaire, but Obama aides later disavowed it and said it did not reflect the candidate’s position.

In 2004, as a candidate for the US Senate, he cited his own religion in framing his views: “I'm a Christian. I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

He maintained that position through his 2008 presidential campaign, and through his term as president, until today.

As president in 2010, Obama told ABC’s Jake Tapper that his feelings about gay marriage were “constantly evolving. I struggle with this.” A year later, the president told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, “I’m still working on it.”

“I probably won't make news right now, George,” Obama said in October 2011. “But I think that there's no doubt that as I see friends, families, children of gay couples who are thriving, you know, that has an impact on how I think about these issues.”

Obama’s decision has political connotations for the fall. The issue divides elements of the Democratic base, with liberals and gay-rights groups eager to see the president go farther, but with gay marriage far less popular among African-American voters.

Just yesterday, in North Carolina, voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional ban on gay marriage. President Obama carried North Carolina in 2008, and its status as a 2012 battleground was guaranteed by Democrats’ decision to hold their convention in Charlotte this summer.

Obama’s likely Republican opponent, Mitt Romney, opposes gay marriage, and fought his state’s highest court when Massachusetts became the first state to legalize gay marriage in 2004, when Romney was governor. Romney said on the campaign trail Monday that he continues to oppose gay marriage.

“My view is that marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman,” Romney said. “That’s the position I’ve had for some time, and I don’t intend to make any adjustments at this point. … Or ever, by the way.”
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

If this is true, Obama just sunk his ship...

Most black people don't like queers...

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      If this is true, Obama just sunk his ship...

Most black people don't like queers...

They also don't like religious cults who believe they were descended from angels who were too lazy to fight Satan.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        They also don't like religious cults who believe they were descended from angels who were too lazy to fight Satan.

Or the pontifications of pompous racist rednecks.
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
          That may be true also...

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all. The only reason people go through all the red tape anyways is for all the benefits & tax breaks. Otherwise the vows & ring would suffice. The legality of it all is for the governments benefit, not ours.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
              Government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all. The only reason people go through all the red tape anyways is for all the benefits & tax breaks. Otherwise the vows & ring would suffice. The legality of it all is for the governments benefit, not ours.
              Incorrect. The government should guarantee marriage equality for all. Let's note that the only other time NC has amended their constitution was in 1785 to ban interracial marriage - that was an EPIC FAIL (correctly) overruled by the government too. Stupid then, stupid now.
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                Full Member Status

• May 2010

Marriage was created to protect women before they could vote, earn money, in any field of employment as men.
                It is impossible for two men to be "in love" that spiritual place can only be reached by a woman.

Two women together is just sexual safety.

Same sex marriage can only be seen as the things mentioned above.

I find it very evolved of these people to describe evolution of mankind, as what takes place up your cram holes.

Darwinism...95% of the world is fucked up by 10% of the stupidest people.

Legislation to legitimitize cram hole prefferences.
                2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I'd still like to see someone answer the challenge I've made multiple times- and NO ONE CAN - w/o going into some irrelevant religious diatribe, or a statement of your personal disgust for it, the already debunked "what about the children" rant, or some BS "it'll lead to beastiality" strawman argument - why the F should I CARE if gay people can marry? It doesn't effect me in the slightest, so why would I be against it? It's not like there's any "sanctity" in hetro marriage with 52% of them ending in failure. It's as stupid (and baseless) as arguments against interracial marriage - as in there IS no legitimate argument against it.

No one has the "right" to legislate bigotry - so NO, it shouldn't be up to clearly backwards-*ss states like North Carolina.

Foamy pretty much sums it up...sad when all the arguments against it can be destroyed by a cartoon squirrel...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                    Incorrect. The government should guarantee marriage equality for all. Let's note that the only other time NC has amended their constitution was in 1785 to ban interracial marriage - that was an EPIC FAIL (correctly) overruled by the government too. Stupid then, stupid now.

My point is how many thousands of years have 2 people in love mated monogamously for life? The government has only been involved for what? the last few hundred years? Because they have us convinced it needs to be "legal". So we have power of attorney, shared bank accounts, tax returns, special rights, claims, etc... So we allow the government to legalize it & regulate it so we get these extra things & remain legal. Problem with that is now we have also given them the power to say what is NOT legal.
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Take it away Clint...

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                        I'd still like to see someone answer the challenge I've made multiple times- and NO ONE CAN - - why the F should I CARE if gay people can marry?

I can answer it.

You shouldn't care.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

I can answer it.

You shouldn't care.
                          And I likely wouldn't (much) if it didn't directly impact some of my friends and co-workers, or more disturbingly remind me of all the idiotic arguments I used to hear (and kick people's teeth in for) over my choices in girlfriends. But not speaking out against bigotry and intolerance is to enable it.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

This whole issue is so stupid. I could give a fuck if two or more consenting adults want to get married. Have at it... they should all be entitled to the happiness and misery that marriage brings.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I openly encourage gay guys to find each other, and be less competition for me when it comes to women. And I openly encourage bisexual women to share.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...