Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" Becomes A Trilogy

Gandalf's beard doesn't come cheap

By Simon Sharwood, APAC Editor • Get more from this author

Posted in Music and Media, 30th July 2012 23:22 GMT

Lord of the Rings Director Peter Jackson has revealed that his next work, a film adaptation of The Hobbit, will span three films.

The adaptation had previously been pencilled in as two flicks.

Jackson took to Facebook to announce the extension, arguing that editing of the first film has yielded the insight that:

“We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'”

It’s very hard not to suspect that’s Hollywood cant for “The studio said can we make more money and the answer was an unreserved yes.”

Jackson adds that the expanded production means more bits of The Hobbit, and other parts from other Tolkien tomes, will hit the screen. “We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance,” he writes.

• Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Jackson needs a better editor, why does he require 3 films to tell a standard length childrens story?

King Kong and Return of the King were both an hour too long, save it for the uberfan Blue Ray version.

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

were the fuck is he getting the extra material ??? i know they were gonna pad it out with bits from lord of the rings , a bit more of the back story but to be honest i read the hobbit with my young un reecently and its stretching to make it to two movies ...
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• baru911
        Head Fluffer
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by vandeleur
        were the fuck is he getting the extra material ??? i know they were gonna pad it out with bits from lord of the rings , a bit more of the back story but to be honest i read the hobbit with my young un reecently and its stretching to make it to two movies ...
        That is the truth. He's looking for the magic to happen again. What happens if the first part flops? Will we ever get to see the other two?
        Just remember boys and girls, to get Nick the Dick and his partner FORD off your porch when they come to your home you just need to pay them for the pizza.

Comment

• Dr. Love
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Good, I was worried he wouldn't continue his tradition from Return of the King of putting 7 endings in the film. Now, with this extra movie, I can rest assured that he'll be able to end the movie at least a dozen times.
          I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

I think it is fine, if he can string everything together in a good narrative without putting in too much backstory....gotta keep the current tale moving along to keep the attention of the movie-going public.

This is going to be the last chance to put a lot of this extra stuff on the screen. I feel he is going to do justice to the Tolkien legacy by doing this.

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

the hobbit safety video

Last edited by vandeleur; 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• vandeleur
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Sep 2009

the second hobbit trailer

the 2nd trailer

Comment

• vandeleur
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Sep 2009

Just saw the hobbit .... Took the kids and my dad or grandalf as he is now know .
                  We only saw it in 2d due to dad flapping about 3d.
                  So to my review ..... It fucking rocked

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

I have no doubts it will.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Reviews have been a little mixed...

Rotten Tomatoes, home of the Tomatometer, is the most trusted measurement of quality for Movies & TV. The definitive site for Reviews, Trailers, Showtimes, and Tickets

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

Yeah I read a couple , seemingly a lot of people are commenting on the frame rate change but seeing it in 2d I didn't notice it .

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

'The Hobbit' To Feature 53-Minute-Long Scene Of Bilbo Baggins Trying To Figure Out What To Pack

LOS ANGELES—According to early reviews, the highly anticipated new film The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which opens in theaters Friday, features an extended 53-minute-long scene in which the protagonist, Bilbo Baggins, decides on what to pack for his trip to defeat the evil dragon Smaug.
                          The film, one of three upcoming Lord Of The Rings prequels based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, reportedly suspends its main narrative action for almost a third of its screen time while the main character rummages through his house trying to figure out what clothing and personal possessions he will need for his journey.
                          “Yeah, he just sort of fusses around for a while, wondering aloud whether he should pack an umbrella or not, and laying out different coats on his bed,” said Hollywood Reporter critic Todd McCarthy, who attended an early press screening this week. “And then there are long stretches—I’m talking like 10, 12 minutes—where he’s just sitting in a chair silently thinking about what he’s going to need.”

“It’s pretty much the entire middle section of the film,” McCarthy added. “And it’s done with very few cuts. Most of the time the camera is just sort of staying on him without moving.”

A majority of critics said the 53-minute scene, which does not appear to be based on any particular part of the novel, was not at all expected, especially given the fact that viewers had been led to believe, from the previous scene, that the film would shortly transition into the beginning of the “unexpected journey” promised in its title.

Other critics singled out a nine-minute interlude around the 100-minute mark in which Baggins, concerned about the possibility of having to attend a formal occasion during his journey, tries on a variety of outfits in the mirror.

“At first it seems as though it’s going to be a short little montage of him packing, with jaunty music playing, but after a minute or two the music sort of fades out and it’s just a long take of Bilbo quietly looking through drawers,” Boston Globe critic Ty Burr told reporters. “Sometimes he says things out loud like, ‘Oh, Bilbo, where did you put that sweater?’ Other times he’s just muttering indecipherably. And then a lot of the time—most of the time, really—he’s dead quiet.”

“I mean, I guess it’s pretty well done for what it is, which is essentially just a person putting stuff in a suitcase,” Burr continued.

The film’s director, Peter Jackson, expressed excitement about the film’s premiere, and hinted that the second film in the Hobbit trilogy would chronicle Bilbo’s return to the Shire after he realizes he forgot his toiletries bag.
                          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

I saw it today, I liked it better than the Lord of the Rings ... but the same was true with the books to be honest. Hardest part was keeping all the dwarves straight.
                            I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                              I saw it today, I liked it better than the Lord of the Rings ... but the same was true with the books to be honest. Hardest part was keeping all the dwarves straight.

The Hobbit will be miles above The Lord Of The rings for 1 reason.....

Come on guys....who's pile of gold is Bilbo laying on?

you should know this

Yeah, that's right bitches. Mother fucking SMAUG!!!!!!!!!!

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...