Hair Metal bands that actually ROCKED (opinion war starts NOW!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Vengeance
    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I have seen Poison three times without wanting to see them. Once opening for the mighty DLR. Once I won tickets in a bar and once in a festival show where I wanted to see Faster Pussycat and Cinderella.

The show that I won tickets for, Tesla was the opening act....try following them. It was laughable. A teen girl was sitting next to me and after Tesla was done she asked me "who were those guys?" I told her Tesla, and she says, "Holy shit, they were good!"
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
      Are you guys seriously talking about Poison?

Get real.

You really can't sink any lower.

Cheers! :bottle:
      I keep thinking that about this whole thread...

"Hair Metal" is an oxymoron and hair bands suck...

But I did like a Cinderella song or two...

Comment

• Karma86
        Groupie
        • Jan 2013

the 80's hair bands were the shit! It holds a lot of great times for alot of us hair / metal heads lol. Some of them may not have had a lot of musical talent but they knew how to put on a show! Then you have the ones that have great talent musically and the voice dam some of these guys have a great unforgettable voice! That never got the reconition they deserve like Kip Winger Jannie Lane These guys are great Song writers. and then musically TNT was great although the synthesizers was a little much but the guitar rifs outta this world!

Comment

• Karma86
          Groupie
          • Jan 2013

Cinderell was great! loved those guys! Good live!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2007

heard a new solo effort by tom yesterday, sounded very cinderellay.
            Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

I'm pretty sure that even Jani Lane's mom doesn't think that he was a good songwriter......
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

All that hair... But no Pretty Maids?

Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

TNT...
                  Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2005

I always thought hair metal referred to the 87-89 era of hard rock music. That is why i don't consider Crue, Ratt, Dokken and QR as hair metal. I think of hair metal as Warrant, Winger, White Lion and Poison. I always thought Ratt and Dokken's music stayed true but the Crue's music evolved into hair metal by Dr. Feelgood. Without You makes me sick. I think most people that blindly throw a term like hair metal out would probably say that DLR was hair metal and that would equally be wrong.
                    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2005

Anyone remember a band called Tangier?

Comment

• vh rides again
                        Commando
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                        Anyone remember a band called Tangier?
                        Yeah, they sucked big time.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by vh rides again
                          Yeah, they sucked big time.
                          I thought their first record was decent but they kicked the lead singer out going into their 2nd record which was horrible. I think they were from Mississippi so i didn't know if anyone really had heard of them. I saw them open for Cinderella on the Long Cold Winter tour.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                            I always thought hair metal referred to the 87-89 era of hard rock music. That is why i don't consider Crue, Ratt, Dokken and QR as hair metal. I think of hair metal as Warrant, Winger, White Lion and Poison. I always thought Ratt and Dokken's music stayed true but the Crue's music evolved into hair metal by Dr. Feelgood. Without You makes me sick. I think most people that blindly throw a term like hair metal out would probably say that DLR was hair metal and that would equally be wrong.
                            Early Crue (Too Fast For Love, Shout At The Devil) was good.

I like Ratt...pretty much liked Dokken only for what Lynch brought to the table: Don Dokken, Jeff Pilson and Mick Brown were fairly non-descript as players, and a lot of Dokken's tunes were kinda mundane, so it's really a testament to Lynch's abilities that I've listened to Dokken as much as I have.

Quiet Riot...yeah, I wouldn't quite put them in the hair metal genre, either...I'd tend to agree with you that the hair metal era is usually defined as 1987-1989...perhaps even 1986 to 1990. I mean, far as Quiet Riot, I think Metal Health was a solid hard rock album. Haven't listened to a ton of their stuff with RR, and post-Metal Health the output was weak.

Hey, at least they were better than Trixter...
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...