• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Cavs are going to make a run at Larry Brown for head coach...a smart move...

why, so he can just quit on them? fuck that guy. did you see this in the PD the other day?

Why again, exactly, is Brown revered?
    Sunday, April 17, 2005
    Bill Livingston
    Plain Dealer Columnist

Thank goodness America had Larry Brown, basketball genius, coaching them up last summer in Greece at the Olympic basketball tourna ment.

After all, how could anyone win with Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Am are Stoudemire, Dwyane Wade and Shawn Marion on the roster?

If you look at Sports Illustrated's picks for first-, second-, and third-team all-NBA, the aforementioned shirkers, me-firsters, misfits and knuckleheads make up 40 percent of the list. My, what a shabby hand Brown was dealt.

Emeka Okafor, another member of Team USA, is the magazine's choice for Rookie of the Year.

Wade is a key player on the best team in the NBA East, Miami. Stoudemire and Marion have helped give Phoenix the best record in the NBA West. Duncan's Spurs would have had the latter, had he not severely sprained an ankle. The teams of Iverson and James, while disappointing, are still in the playoff chase.

James' Cavaliers are a deeply flawed team. They will play at Larry Brown's Pistons today as big underdogs.

Regardless of result, hold the hosannas to Brown.

The guy he replaced, Rick Carlisle, has done the best coaching job in the NBA.

Carlisle was sacked in what would have been viewed as a disgraceful lack of trust and patience by Pistons General Manager Joe Dumars. . . . except the Pistons, with the critical addition of Rasheed Wallace down the stretch, won the championship under Brown last season.

The nation was informed by the basketball sages that Larry Brown was a coach for the ages. He verified all the platitudes about teamwork and self-sacrifice.

The record says he has one championship in college at Kansas. The NCAA put the Jayhawks on probation right after he left.

He has one in the NBA. The Pistons were a team ready to win, so Brown cooled his chronically meddlesome ways with personnel. The Pistons beat the Pacers in seven games to get to the Finals, then should have swept the dysfunctional Lakers.

This year, both the Pacers and Pistons imploded in the early-season riot in Michigan, but Carlisle's team was devastated by the suspensions that followed. Since the NBA couldn't suspend the drunks and louts in the stands, Carlisle has coached all season without his best player, Ron Artest, and parts of it without almost everyone else. He has done one of the best jobs ever.

In Athens, Brown should have been allowed to choose a shooter as a coach's "wild-card" roster addition. In the absence of such a critical component, he would tell you again and again how the Olympics were the biggest challenge of "his" career. Or that "his" mission was to teach this team how to "Play the Game the Right Way." When it came time to assess responsibility for the bronze medal, "his" butt was going to be covered.

He set the players up to fail by constantly doubting them. When they failed, he was, as his nickname among several NBA types put it, "Larry Blameless."

This isn't about Brown's failure to play James in Greece, although assistant coach Greg Popovich thought James was the best player in practice almost every day.

This is about America's Coach, a man hailed for creating the ultimate example of a team, who yet put the greatest measure of value on his own reputation.

Brown would never have been able to hold the Pacers together. He would have poisoned the locker room when times got tough. It's always all about him.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Jackson's still dating Buss' daughter too, so I'm sure he has her whispering in his ear every night.

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Carlisle is definately coach of the year, having to deal with that mess.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Look...twona...this team needs someone...anyone...that has credibility...

I don't give a shit who it is...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

I agree with the Carlisle comment...and love the fact that he got another job and is doing the job he's doing after being uncerimoniously dumped from the Detroit job...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i agree with not hiring some asshole away from his TV job. credibility or not, i don't like Brown.
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

I don't think Brown will go anywhere to be a GM...do you?

He likes the limelight to much...

Of course...the GM for LeBron...and his penchant for movement...lmfao...maybe...

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

It won't be more than five years from now that LeBron is tarred with the same 'selfish' brush that Kobe was tarred with. You can already see the makings of it this year.

This happens when somebody who's the Next Jordan wears out their welcome with the media, and the media wants to move on to the Next Next Jordan.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Actually...I've heard a lot of talk that LeBron did well and the team gave up...

haven't ever heard that around Kobe...LeBron is getting the benefit of the doubt right now...that he did well in spite of the team...which is why they are saying he wants to leave...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I don't think Brown will go anywhere to be a GM...do you?

He likes the limelight to much...

Of course...the GM for LeBron...and his penchant for movement...lmfao...maybe...
                      He has said many times that Detroit was his last NBA coaching job. I read that as he may coach college again if it was right for him.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

And LeBron hasn't came out in the media and said anything.

I think he and Kobe are completely different scenarios, where Kobe had another superstar when he came aboard, where Lebron was the whole show from the beginning.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Larry Brown...has said many times...lmfao...

"I'm staying put..."

only to go days later...

twona's right...you can't trust this guy further than you can throw him...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Yeah but the bad hip now, and the surgery he had as the follow up.

Health isn't as good now.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                              And LeBron hasn't came out in the media and said anything.

I think he and Kobe are completely different scenarios, where Kobe had another superstar when he came aboard, where Lebron was the whole show from the beginning.
                              Kind of like Michael!...lmfao...

Brown should just go away...then...

Comment

• Warham
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Actually...I've heard a lot of talk that LeBron did well and the team gave up...

haven't ever heard that around Kobe...LeBron is getting the benefit of the doubt right now...that he did well in spite of the team...which is why they are saying he wants to leave...
                                Ah, but I've also heard guys on ESPN saying that since the Cavs choked, shouldn't LeBron get some of the blame?

Magic Johnson was considered to have run Paul Westhead out of town after LA won in 1980, but was never tarred with that brush that Kobe is for running Phil out of town. One of the reasons why is because Magic was never the Next Jordan. It's all a matter of perceptions.

Comment

Working...